Bullish Residex

Have you seen the article in API magazine ( March ) on page 11. They say the slump is near over and growth is expected to begin in 2005.
Wouldn't that be fantastic!

MJK :D

Basically they reckon the market has been down for a while now and, historically, most slumps only last 18-2yrs mths.

MJK :D

I actually think their right. Prices will probably rise, just not enough for you to start buying. Remember the property clock?, it says 3 years stagnation, 3 years boom, 1 year bust. Well we are comming slowly out of the bust into the 3 years of stagnation where prices to go up, but only a bit.

With rising interest rates, it is a brave call to predict that property prices will rise. They may rise in some areas, but overall the price growth is likely to be small in the short term.

3 Years

Mmmmm
3 Years. Thats would work out great for me as I have two properties that I
need to build houses on.
At the moment in the Soutwest of WA it can take up 5 months for titles and 18 months to build a standard 4 bed 2 bathroom house.
So at the 2.5 year mark I will be ready to buy again. :D

Cheers

madmurf said:
Mmmmm
3 Years. Thats would work out great for me as I have two properties that I
need to build houses on.
At the moment in the Soutwest of WA it can take up 5 months for titles and 18 months to build a standard 4 bed 2 bathroom house.
So at the 2.5 year mark I will be ready to buy again. :D

Cheers
Cycles are in different stages in different states. Melbourne dropped first, then Sydney and Brisbane.

As far as I am aware, WA is one of the few areas still experiencing significant price increases.

So you may have to wait a bit longer....

Cheers,

I think Aussierogue is observing that Perth, Canberra, Brisbane and Hobart haven't yet stopped rising, that the data on Melbourne are confused at best and that Sydney has paused but not fallen.

And Country Australia is still booming.

WHAT BUST??

Hi all, from a Melbourne perspective, can't comment anywhere else as we are flat out here developing new projects, can only agree...WHAT BUST? .. have been in property 25 years now, every time you hear doom and gloom, just remember to ask the speaker, how many IP's they own, how long held........
oh gee, none? what a surprise....like all the estate agents who dont even own PPOR. And for every suburb that has decreased in value, you can find ten that have INCREASED. So where does that leave us? Right back to basics.
Good property, well located in good areas is always in demand. Jan Somers original precepts, if you care to actually read them, are still spot on. And forget about when to buy as your primary focus, it's how long you're in the market, doh!
HAVE A PLAN, AND DO IT.

I am always a little confused regarding the Residex predictions.

On the plus side they do put a lot of effort into their stats. I believe they look at the economic cycle interest rates etc, and i believe they also have a method of benchmarking that takes into account repeat sales over time of the same property. Therefore median price statistics are less likely to get skewed. This is all good stuff.

On the other side, reports that i have seen (about 1-2 years old now.. haven't purchased any recent reports) for Sydney and Brisbane seemed to be predicting good growth with no major dip in the shorter term. (ie. for units in many good areas in Sydney there were growth rates like 8 & 10% for 3,5 and 8 year outlooks). These growth rates are pretty hard to catch up if there is 1-2 years of flat or slightly negative growth. A 6 month old report for Brisbane didn't seem to highlight any plateau over the next few years.

Regards
Alistair

Back