Bundaberg the place to invest

I own a property in Bundaberg, Svennson Heights to be precise. 3 bed, 2 bath, 1 car on 915 m2. CF slightly -ve to neutral. Fantastic tenants and a wonderful property management team.

Is it the place to invest? Dunno for sure. Time will tell us for certain. But it certainly was the place for me to buy one of my properties. Why? A combination of factors;
Strong population growth with good size population base. Not too old, not too young.
Good mix of renters and owner-occupiers.
Diverse economy, even when it is being hit by crazy floods.
Strong rental demand. A bit softer recently, but still very strong.
Affordable housing.
Moderate level of investment going on. (No mining that I know of, would be crazy if there was.)
Good history of capital growth. Softer recently, mainly as a result of flood scares IMO.

I don't think Bundy will set your portfolio on fire, but it is definitely worth examining more closely if you like large regional plays. Like I do.

I wouldn't be buying in the Bargara area myself, as I think it is overpriced and alot of development going on. That said, if there are bargains to be had more recently due to the market softening, maybe it is worth another look.

I probably won't be buying another one in Bundy for a while. I prefer to spread my eggs around in other locations and states.

FYI - I am definately NOT a property spruiker and certainly have not used the real estate agents mentioned earlier in this post. It certainly does seem that this original post was by an agent/spruiker.

What do you know about Gooburrum?

Nothing right now. But the fact your are asking makes me want to take a look. Let's see......

I found a little information. Mainly regarding approval of a Sand Mining operation in the Gooburrum area in Apr this year. Perhaps this is seen as some sort of economic replacement for the shutdown of the sand mine at North Stradbroke.

I haven't found any details on the economic impact that this sand mine will have on the bundaberg region. But am interested enough now to do some more detective work. Thanks for the lead!

I wonder if it will generate mining dust and cause problems to the neigbouring suburbs

I found some residents had some concerns.

Turns out this sand mine is being run by Bundaberg Sugar. Some more details here; http://www.bundysugar.com.au/company/whymere

Specifically in relation to dust, they state the following;
Dust
Q. Will the sand extraction process cause silicosis?
Exposure to respirable crystalline silica occurs through cutting, chipping, drilling or grinding objects containing crystalline silica.
These activities are not proposed to occur on site.
The sand extraction process will therefore not pose any health issues, such as silicosis resulting from silica dust.
A sand and dust management plan will be implemented which will include:
• Limiting the extraction area at any one time, combined with staged and progressive land rehabilitation;
• Development and maintenance of significant environmental buffers, bunding and vegetation screens;
• The use of a water cart to wet roads, sand prior to extraction and rehabilitation areas and
• Trucks will be covered when transporting material.

Q. Will the transportation of sand cause dust impacts on surrounding areas?
A site-based dust management plan will be implemented. Some of the measures under this plan will include:
• By screening and washing sand on site - as is standard practice for similar operations - no waste material will be exported from the site, thereby improving efficiency and reducing potential dust and road impacts;
• Trucks will be covered when transporting material
• Water carts will be used to wet roads, sand prior to extraction and rehabilitation of areas
• Extraction area will be limited to one area at a time, combined with staged and progressive land rehabilitation
• Significant environmental buffers, bunding and vegetation screens will be developed and maintained.

Bundy Sugar has been a backbone of the Bundaberg economy for a very long time. I don't think they will be biting the local hand that feeds them by doing a development that is unsympathetic to the local population and environment.

It isn't a huge economic boom. 40 years of steady income in the local economy. With 12 full time jobs and around 40 indirect. Nothing huge, but it all adds up.

I found some residents had some concerns.

Turns out this sand mine is being run by Bundaberg Sugar. Some more details here; http://www.bundysugar.com.au/company/whymere

Specifically in relation to dust, they state the following;
Dust
Q. Will the sand extraction process cause silicosis?
Exposure to respirable crystalline silica occurs through cutting, chipping, drilling or grinding objects containing crystalline silica.
These activities are not proposed to occur on site.
The sand extraction process will therefore not pose any health issues, such as silicosis resulting from silica dust.
A sand and dust management plan will be implemented which will include:
• Limiting the extraction area at any one time, combined with staged and progressive land rehabilitation;
• Development and maintenance of significant environmental buffers, bunding and vegetation screens;
• The use of a water cart to wet roads, sand prior to extraction and rehabilitation areas and
• Trucks will be covered when transporting material.

Q. Will the transportation of sand cause dust impacts on surrounding areas?
A site-based dust management plan will be implemented. Some of the measures under this plan will include:
• By screening and washing sand on site - as is standard practice for similar operations - no waste material will be exported from the site, thereby improving efficiency and reducing potential dust and road impacts;
• Trucks will be covered when transporting material
• Water carts will be used to wet roads, sand prior to extraction and rehabilitation of areas
• Extraction area will be limited to one area at a time, combined with staged and progressive land rehabilitation
• Significant environmental buffers, bunding and vegetation screens will be developed and maintained.

Bundy Sugar has been a backbone of the Bundaberg economy for a very long time. I don't think they will be biting the local hand that feeds them by doing a development that is unsympathetic to the local population and environment.

It isn't a huge economic boom. 40 years of steady income in the local economy. With 12 full time jobs and around 40 indirect. Nothing huge, but it all adds up.

12 Direct and 40 indirect jobs will have a direct effect on the economy of Moore Park Beach, which is directly adjacent the extraction sites. There is a new shopping centre being built directly opposite one of the extraction sites, and I can tell you with certainty that Bundy Sugar has a current DA application to develop some of that land also, so there is zero chance that they will allow any activity to hinder residential property prices in the area.

12 Direct and 40 indirect jobs will have a direct effect on the economy of Moore Park Beach, which is directly adjacent the extraction sites. There is a new shopping centre being built directly opposite one of the extraction sites, and I can tell you with certainty that Bundy Sugar has a current DA application to develop some of that land also, so there is zero chance that they will allow any activity to hinder residential property prices in the area.

Great info APerry. Have you been investing in Bundy for long? Keen to compare notes via PM?

I am certainly no expert, but am keen to chat to like-minded folks to increase our collective knowledge.

EV

Back