Business Cards question???

Just to set the scene:
Say I have a family trust with pty ltd as trustee and beneficiary and I am the sole director/shareholder of that pty ltd. Now I buy a house under this trust and start handing out business cards (which states myself as director of this pty ltd as trustee) to prospective developers, partners, advisors, consultants, etc for development work. I then start a new pty ltd (once again with me as sole director/shareholder) to handle the development side of things.

Now, if something happens on the development side of things through the development company I established and I get sued will those people suing me be able to touch the property because I gave them my business card. I ask because as the director of the development company I have presented myself as also the director of the pty ltd that acts as trustee to the property that is being developed.

i dont quite understand your goings on in the question....but stripping all that away, a card itself means nothing.

there are no strict disclosure requirements that must be on it...you can have simply your name and a number, that is all. you might choose to include more relevant and logical information, but as a legal document, the cards themselves are nothing.

Hi there
when legal proceedings are about to commence - and something has happened either with a company or a particular development site - depending upon the nature of the action will determine how the legal advisors will approach matters. A company search or a land title search will be done to establish owners and occupiers - if it is an employment situation the employer company structure will be reviewed - your business particulars specified on your card may be reviewed in that whole process - but that will not determine who will be sued. Often the party who has money will be sued - not necessarily the party responsible. A particular example of this is a decision against a landlord who had employed an electrical contractor to repair his wiring. A young child was electrocuted (walking on grass near her home) when the contractor did not do the work properly (not properly earthed). The child's parents successfully sued the landlord though clearly the electrical contractor was the party responsible. The rationale being the landlord had the money whereas the electrical contractor did not. The landlord had employed the electrical contractor and was ultimately responsible in the circumstances.

thanks

A business card means nothing. I can print one up saying whatever I want.

If legal proceedings start, everything will be according to ownership and ASIC proceedings. Your business card is meaningless as it has no legal standing.
Alex

Back