Buy a block or spread over

Hi guys, I was just balancing the pros and cons and can't figure out which way is better.

say I got 1 mil in cash and i want to borrow 2 mil to buy 3 mil worth of properties. should I

1) a block of appartments
or
2) different style properties in different locations

I personally liked the first one because I think I can have better CF. Is the first choice better than second one?

Do you actually have those sorts of resources, and how much experience do you have with property?
Alex

Well, that's a good question.

I do have the resource I mentioned above. However, to be honest, I don't think I have EMOUGH experience. That's why I can't anwser the question myself.

Hi guys, I was just balancing the pros and cons and can't figure out which way is better.

say I got 1 mil in cash and i want to borrow 2 mil to buy 3 mil worth of properties. should I

1) a block of appartments
or
2) different style properties in different locations

I personally liked the first one because I think I can have better CF. Is the first choice better than second one?

I'd buy a block of apartments because the returns are normally so much better. You can strata title if you want to and you are in total control of the complex ie no need to worry about body corporate

The reason I asked that question is I think if you have that level of resources, and you need to ask the question of whether to diversify or not, you shouldn't commit all the resources in one go. If you've built up that level of resources from investments, you should already have an existing plan that got you this far. If you've suddenly gained those resources (big bonus, inheritance, lottery win, whatever) and you don't have the experience you should start small and build it up.

I read from your previous posts that you already have a portfolio. Why not just continue with that?

If you aren't sure what to do with the money, I'd suggest only using a part of it and trying a few things out and see what appeals to you most.

For example, I find it weird that you would phrase it as a choice between a $3m block or a number of separate properties. Why not a couple of blocks? There are plenty of blocks of units in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane that would go for about a mil or so.

Also missing is what you're actually trying to achieve. Buying land or older houses may make more sense if you're looking to build later. Are you just after cashflow?
Alex

Have to agree with Alex.

My thought if I suddenly got a mill in cash is to use it to buy four or five properties and just live off the rent.

Buying a few different properties in a few different locations spreads the risk of vacancies and no or slow cap growth a lot more.

Maybe not the best way to spend it, but it is nice and safe, there is a consistent income, tax benefits and steady cap growth. Too easy.

Putting it into one project, without the necessary knowledge behind the investment to select well, would be a more dangerous move in my opinion, and not necessary.

I read a story not long ago about a guy in the USA who won $100 mill in lotto.

His plan was to turn it into $1 bill in 10 years. He has bought a combination of shares, property and businesses. I think he is up to about $400 mill now.

I think it's not so much a matter of whether being focused on one property/area is better or worse than buying in different areas, but that you should already have a plan in advance.

e.g. if someone gave me a few million dollars, I already have a rough plan as to what to do with it.

If you do not know what to do with it, you should probably sit tight and investigate it more.
Alex

I can appreciate having to consider options like these. In fact I came to exactly this fork in the road some tine back.

In my case it was really a question of do I stay with residential or do I branch out into industrial commercial.

A number of issues that were confronting me :-
Land tax - with a bill of about $6k in 1997 (5 houses and 1 strata factory in portfolio)
Maintenance on existing properties
Fairly busy with my business so little extra time but could see that we will need to invest as c/f was considerable.
Flat real estate market at that time but could see that residential was going to move.
Long term business prospects were shaky (managed to hang on until 2005:D)
Lift myself above the average investor and PPOR buyers who I felt were bringing down the % returns for residential.
The focus of my investing has always been c/f rather than my aim was to replace the income generated by the business cg so this pretty well eliminated the higher end residential market.

I spent some time considering industrial/ commercial with my concerns here being the long vacancies between tenancies that I observed every time there were vacancies (remember this was in the mid 90's). At that time it wasn't unusual to find ind/com at 12% returns and standard residential 5-7%.

We were looking for some suitable properties when I came across blocks of units in the advertisements basically at land value so thought I would go along and have a look. These blocks were at 10-12% gross return.

Initially looked in liverpool but the tenants were a mixed lot having a poverty mentality. Ended up looking in Cabramatta where the mind set of the tenants was completely different which actually gave the blocks little community feel.

Result ind/com at 12% but long periods with vacancies or blocks of units same returns (but gross) with only standard vacancies. So ended up buying all the blocks I could, at land price compared to new units being developed elsewhere.

Some other advantages from buying whole blocks (either flats or strata in one line)
Able to buy many with reduced land content per income.
Able to control whole property rather than deal with stratas.
Able to carry out reno's to your hearts content.
Able to absolutely control the RE managing agent as virtually employing him
Full brick construction more resilient than standard brick veneer houses
One down side of owning residential blocks with more than 4 units is that banks regard this as commercial. Even owning more than 4 units in the same strata block has the same affect.

Another down side is that expenses are larger but that simply is part of the territory. For instance replacing the guttering $5k+, having to upgrade fire rating $1k+ per unit so block of 9 recently cost $20k block of 7 cost $7k.

It worked for me with all these properties being c/f+ from day one and still getting the capital gain over time.

Cheers

How about buying 3 brand new house and land packages in different states that have been discussed and recognised as high growth both on and off the forum and borrowing nothing?

Thanks very much Andy. It's great to start so early. Probably finding a land value block of units will be much harder nowadays. But anyway, thank you again for sharing your valuable exprerience.

Back