Buy Mansion or Invest

Can I please get your opinions on my personal situation. - Please no judgements - advice from the greybeards (older blokes who have lived it much appreciated) I am 40 years old

Current Situation

PPOR worth 1.5m - mortgage .4m - married to a Sydney princess, all IP's were sold to get to this situation.

Option 1

Sell PPOR and live mortgage free in (say?) Cherrybrook and build a portfolio adding 1 ~ 400K IP per annum over the next 20-30 years.

Option 2

Buy the 1.7m mansion as mentioned in previous thread (i am lucky to be on a high income, can service the mortgage and enjoy my job) and keep the princess happy and hopefully* give my kids a better start in life. plus also save 1 hr per day in travel time.

Can I please get your opinions on my personal situation. - Please no judgements - advice from the greybeards (older blokes who have lived it much appreciated) I am 40 years old

Current Situation

PPOR worth 1.5m - mortgage .4m - married to a Sydney princess, all IP's were sold to get to this situation.

Option 1

Sell PPOR and live mortgage free in (say?) Cherrybrook and build a portfolio adding 1 ~ 400K IP per annum over the next 20-30 years.

Option 2

Buy the 1.7m mansion as mentioned in previous thread (i am lucky to be on a high income, can service the mortgage and enjoy my job) and keep the princess happy and hopefully* give my kids a better start in life. plus also save 1 hr per day in travel time.

option 2 for me

get the home life sorted out, save the travel time, pay it down a little then start investing

You are barking up the wrong tree if you think you will get answers that are not judgmental, especially given your next comment is this...

Current Situation

Did you sell all IPs happily to get the $1.5M PPOR, and was it good enough for your wife then, and now she wants more? As soon as I read that sentence I thought "poor chap, he's got no chance of having too much input, and he knows it". I'm a woman, by the way.

Option 1

What does the wife say about this option? It sounds like the IPs were sold to buy your "Sydney princess" something she wanted. Would she live in Cherrybrook in a lesser value house?

Option 2

What does the wife say about this option?

I'm sorry if I sound judgmental, but it sounds like she is running the story, and you may not really have much of a say. I'll apologise right now in case I'm wrong, but that is how it sounds.

If you sold "all your IPs" to get the $1.5M house, is it not to your liking now? Is this a case of keeping up with the Joneses. If so, you are on a hiding to nothing.

Our first house was a "landmark" house and after we sold it and did up the next two houses, we always thought "one day we'll buy another landmark house". That urge got less and less as every time the "right" house came up, we decided to keep IPs and have the rent rolling in. We just never wanted to sell the IPs to live in a better house, lose the rent, lose the growth.

We are not wealthy, but we have a couple of IPs, and sometimes I wonder if putting our money into an upmarket PPOR would have served us better, but we'll never know.

I'm wondering if you resent the your wife whom you have called a "Sydney princess" for driving/forcing/convincing(?) you to sell the IPs to live in an upmarket house, and what you want to do? Calling your wife that made me wonder, but perhaps it was a bit of a joke.

Our plan was always to have a few IPs paid off so that hubby could stop working if he wished. He did that at 50, but if we lived in a $2M house and had no IPs that would not have been an option.

Again, sorry if I sound judgmental. It just sounds like you don't have much say in which way you are headed.

Option 3. Send the princess to the kitchens to scrub with the other scullery maids & serfs; live like a king of her work.

Just kidding.

Option 2 sure sounds nice, but are you sacrificing your long term future? At 40 you've got about 20 years to set up for your retirement. Plenty of time to implement option1, but option 2 could potentially hamstring yourself by increasing your non-deductable debt at this point. Hard to say without any details on your financial situation.

How about a comprimise. Rent closer to where you work, it would likely be cheaper than owning. This would give access to cashflow to invest at the same time.

I'm not older than you so perhaps I don't qualify.

However, I would probably go with Option 3. Draw down equity on existing house and use as deposits for high yielding CIPs with long leases.

Only suggesting this because this is what we have done.

Advantages:
- No transaction costs: agents fees / stamp duty - these are silent killers of net worth.
- No lifestyle cut: live for today as well as tomorrow
- With deposits of 1.5*0.8-0.4=0.8m to play with this allows you to buy 0.8/0.35= circa $2m of good quality CIPs in addition to your house allowing for a total portfolio value of $3.5m today.
- If you bought well, your net income will only increase from day one.
- No new personal spending - your portfolio is very highly weighted to personal spending right now - your next move should be on income producing assets IMO.

As the value of your portfolio increases, extract equity, rinse and repeat.

Current situation is not an option? and then tack on investing?

One lesson that I can deliver would be that chopping and changing works against you

I'm not older than you so perhaps I don't qualify.

However, I would probably go with Option 3. Draw down equity on existing house and use as deposits for high yielding CIPs with long leases.

Only suggesting this because this is what we have done.

Advantages:
- No transaction costs: agents fees / stamp duty - these are silent killers of net worth.
- No lifestyle cut: live for today as well as tomorrow
- With deposits of 1.5*0.8-0.4=0.8m to play with this allows you to buy 0.8/0.35= circa $2m of good quality CIPs in addition to your house allowing for a total portfolio value of $3.5m today.
- If you bought well, your net income will only increase from day one.
- No new personal spending - your portfolio is very highly weighted to personal spending right now - your next move should be on income producing assets IMO.

As the value of your portfolio increases, extract equity, rinse and repeat.

......like

HiEquity - how does Commercial Property NOT have stamp duty?

Poorly worded on my part. Of course it has stamp duty.

But chopping and changing PPOR just means you lose the combination of stamp duty and agents fees from your net worth. Not worth the financial cost.

Paying stamp duty on a CIP potentially gets you a meaningful increase in gross assets as well as an increase in income. Therefore worth the financial cost.

With millions of dollars on the line and a high income, going to see a financial planner is proabably a better idea. You can probably work out a strategy that allows you to maximise tax deductions and have the ppor you really want.

Current Situation

Option 1

Option 2

I don't understand how going from a 1.5m to a 1.7m PPOR will make either you or your princess any happier. I think that if you were to upgrade your PPOR, you should be looking for at least a 2.5m to 3m place so that you and princess can appreciate the significantly improved quality of life that you will need to work hard to sustain.

I understand your dilemma because there is a need to enjoy the present and provide the best for your loved ones right now. Otherwise your princess may be looking for upgrade. However, if she is a quality princess, you should be able to convince her to sacrifice a tiny bit at present for a more hopeful future wherein you can retire early after achieving financial freedom.

Totally depends on how cute the princess is and how much she REALLY REALLY REALLY would appreciate a new mansion and how long that appreciation would last.

Back