Buy up asylum boat

The Coalition came up with this idea of preemptively buying up asylum boats to stop the people smuggling racket. While I was watching ABC24, viewers were twitting in, generally making fun of it.

One twitter pointed out that the idea seems to be buying up the smugglers' boat so that they can eventually buy a sea going ocean liner to transport people and call it the Love Boat!

Apparently, TA thought it is a good idea to spend a "few thousand dollars" to buy the boat off the people smuggler and that would scuttle the scheduled voyage of the smuggle. While the idea is still in its infancy, the prospect of Australia doing deals with criminals (and prospering them) as a matter of course will not end well. :rolleyes:

Makes a lot of sense. Those old wooden hulks would be worth a few grand and hold 60 or so queue jumpers. 60 queue jumpers cost a fortune to send to Papua New Guinea or where ever, millions even.

A few grand for a saving of millions. Dunno why it wasn't thought of sooner?

See ya's.

this policy, along with the paid parental leave one, hopefully gives people some idea of why there are plenty of people who will be happy to see Labor gone but horrified at the thought of Abbott being PM

he is an idiot

will be yet another case of a westerner being fleeced of his cash in Indo, only this time it will be taxpayer money.

Makes a lot of sense. Those old wooden hulks would be worth a few grand and hold 60 or so queue jumpers. 60 queue jumpers cost a fortune to send to Papua New Guinea or where ever, millions even.

A few grand for a saving of millions. Dunno why it wasn't thought of sooner?

See ya's.

maybe because all that would happen is that people would sell australia their rubbish leaking boats and then use the money to buy better boats for the same purpose?

it is an absolute brain fart of an idea

maybe because all that would happen is that people would sell australia their rubbish leaking boats and then use the money to buy better boats for the same purpose?

it is an absolute brain fart of an idea

So, even if what you say happens, it will reduce the profit to the people smugglers as they will be paying more for more expensive boats, and it will reduce the drownings from sinking boats.

See ya's.

A great way to stimulate the leaky boat manufacturing industry of Indonesia. He wants to buy up every leaky boat in SE Asia? It's impossible! The people he is dealing with are clearly not idiots.

I'm a Liberal voter but occassionally I just wish Mr Abbott would stop having ideas. It's cash for clunkers all over again! Wasn't it bad enough last time?

I haven't really made up my mind on this one yet. I simply don't know enough about it and how he intends to do it. If it's part of the big picture, then it's just a token gesture and will amount to nothing. Rolling out the Pacific Solution again will be the real clincher.

The smugglers themselves are desperate people, born and bred in a massively corrupt society.

When you forgive the people for landing on our shores illegally for being desperate enough to get in these boats, I seriously think you ought to forgive the desperate people supplying the boats and even travelling on them, themselves. Yes it is criminal, but so is lighting a fire and burning down detention centres.

The problem that comes to mind quickly with this policy, is that it will fuse a bidding war.

Who determine's how much?

Here's a quick answer:

The Indonesian Government.

And we all know how just and law abiding THEY are. :rolleyes:

So, even if what you say happens, it will reduce the profit to the people smugglers as they will be paying more for more expensive boats, and it will reduce the drownings from sinking boats.

Really? In order for a sale to take place there must be a willing seller. Nobody is going to sell at a price that doesn't make sense for them.

If they run out of leaky boats in Indonesia (that will take a loooong time and a lot of money!) then they can just import them from Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Phillipines, PNG, etc etc etc.

Where would it end? If this was KRudd's idea there would be absolute derision for good reason. It's a bottomless hole trying to improve the maritime safety of the whole of SE Asia!

See ya's.

how will it reduce profits?? he will be paying smugglers for their boats to start with, it will increase their profits. cash for something largely unsellable, also we will be paying "whitey" prices not indo prices

completely silly, this clown is doing his best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory

Really? In order for a sale to take place there must be a willing seller. Nobody is going to sell at a price that doesn't make sense for them.

If they run out of leaky boats in Indonesia (that will take a loooong time and a lot of money!) then they can just import them from Thailand, Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia, the Phillipines, PNG, etc etc etc.

Where would it end? If this was KRudd's idea there would be absolute derision for good reason. It's a bottomless hole trying to improve the maritime safety of the whole of SE Asia!

eeeeexxxaaaaccctttlllllyyyy

one of the dumbest things that has been suggested by both sides of politics in years which is an achievement

how will it reduce profits?? he will be paying smugglers for their boats to start with, it will increase their profits. cash for something largely unsellable, also we will be paying "whitey" prices not indo prices

What are you talking about? Why would the smugglers sell their boats? The smugglers are buying old derelict hulks from the local fishermen to fill with queue jumpers. If all the oldest most buggered $1000 and $2000 boats are bought and burnt, then the smugglers will be left with buying $5000 boats. I'd say that clearly reduces their profit margin and makes it safer for the voyage by the queue jumpers to get to Papua New Guinea.

See ya's.

What are you talking about? Why would the smugglers sell their boats? The smugglers are buying old derelict hulks from the local fishermen to fill with queue jumpers. If all the oldest most buggered $1000 and $2000 boats are bought and burnt, then the smugglers will be left with buying $5000 boats. I'd say that clearly reduces their profit margin and makes it safer for the voyage by the queue jumpers.

See ya's.

Even if you could buy all of the hundreds of thousands of dodgy boats in Indonesia (and more around the rest of SE Asia) - even after all that and all the money you spent to get to that point (hundreds of millions of dollars) all that would happen is people smugglers end up using safer boats.

So therefore they will be able to cram more people onto them. It's not just the boat that's unsafe - any boat overloaded to the gunwales becomes unsafe. With more people on the boat they can afford to pay more for it. This policy would spend massive amounts of taxpayer's money to achieve nothing at all for anyone other than the shipbuilders and brokers of Indonesia and SE Asia!

What are you talking about? Why would the smugglers sell their boats? The smugglers are buying old derelict hulks from the local fishermen to fill with queue jumpers. If all the oldest most buggered $1000 and $2000 boats are bought and burnt, then the smugglers will be left with buying $5000 boats. I'd say that clearly reduces their profit margin and makes it safer for the voyage by the queue jumpers to get to Papua New Guinea.

See ya's.

My understanding (perhaps wrong) was that the going rate for a trip was $10K and 100 people on a boat is not uncommon. If you had to pay $50K for a boat it's still an immensely profitably business.

this policy, along with the paid parental leave one, hopefully gives people some idea of why there are plenty of people who will be happy to see Labor gone but horrified at the thought of Abbott being PM

he is an idiot

Oh so true Sanj. Although I lean slightly to the left of centre it's times like these that a gap is liable to open and a nightmare like Clive Palmer can squeeze through.......

If they did do this, you can guarantee that in typical australian govt scheme bungle/scandal outcome it would turn out that an australian company was selling boats to the people smugglers to cash in on the new market for upgraded people smuggling boats. And that the company was govt funded under a new business grant scheme for emerging overseas business opportunities. And the boats would catch fire, requiring the govt to pay millions in compensation to the families of the boat people.

See ya's.

i suggest reading this article

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2013/aug/23/abbott-boat-buy-scheme-economics

Back