Buying a 'dream car'

I don't agree at all. To me, a car is in the same category as a toaster or a television. They may drive a cheap car but still spend money on other things that give them joy like travelling, nice clothes, art, designer furniture, eating out in nice restaurants, helping others, etc. I think the problem is getting to that stage but being so obsessed with money that you can't spend it on anything. There's nothing particularly special about cars specifically. There would be many rich bankers working in places like Wall St who don't even own cars as they are just a liability in New York. Everyone has different preferences.

I agree. I think those that can easily afford high end cars but choose not to, comes down to 2 things.

1: They have no interest in cars. It's just a way to get from a to b.

or

2: They want to play down their wealth and not be obvious about it in public.

If you have a net worth of 3-4m and driving a 10k-20k car something is wrong IMO.
3-4 million is not seriously rich in nett worth - these days.

It can be as simple as owning a house in Brighton/Toorak, a holiday house in Sorrento and a reasonably profitable small business.

Also; you can have a nett worth of 3 mill, and be cash-poor; same bloke as above, but he's owned the houses for 30 years each, and recently the business has suffered a downturn for some reason - lots of nett worth and little income from the business..

Last edited:
I have been thinking.

Pretending money is no object.
If I want a practical small to medium sized car that is easy and comfortable to drive in a city.

What to buy?

M3/C63/S4 all too extreme and hard ride.
DB9/911/F360 all too low and difficult.
XJ/7 Series/S Class/A8 all too big and cumbersome.

There does not seem to be anything exotic expensive and practical.

From my experience; the seriously wealthy drive nice cars....because they have finally arrived at that place where they can.

If only the seriously wealthy bought these cars, then these cars would never exist in the first place.

I think alot of people here are missing the point and being a bit dismissive. Some people enjoy driving and if thats your passion then each to their own. I personally love driving and spend at least 20 hours a week (42 days a year) commuting so the extra money spent on something a bit more comfortable is WELL worth it. A nice car is no different from a nice home, in that they are both a lifestyle choice and not necessarily a good investment.

Life is there to be lived.

Forget cars - give me a big sailing catamaran any day, but only when I have the time to actually sail it around the world! Another of my pet hates - massively expensive boats that just clog up marinas while their supposedly rich owners are stuck at work paying for them - same as sports cars that just end up sitting in traffic jams rather than circulating race tracks.

But then there's obviously something very wrong with me according to this thread...

It doesn't matter what you are worth. There are some that are quite happy to have a serviable car that gets them around. It's just the same as the fact that if you have a lot of money you don't have to buy a boat. If you want to, then that's fine but if you don't want to than that's ok.

Donald Trump may "think big" but then that's perhaps what bankrupted him?

Warren Buffett could afford any house on the planet, but he still lives in the one he bought 30 years ago because he likes the area and gets on with his neighbours.

I think you get over things as you get older. I really like Cars and love old Porsche etc but they are like all things, a lot of work, time to enjoy.

Presently we are into Pony for daughter and considering Horse for me.

It is not the cost that is the issue but that each day is feeding, exercise, etc and if you don't get to that then why have one? We share care with Neighbours but time adds up.

Same for the guys who come up to our little town in Macedon Ranges in Lambo Muira and Ferrari Dino with their car clubs. Most are aged 50 plus and cashed up but alone, as wife is like Boring!.

Once I was admiring a Ferarri 365 2 +2. I said to my Wife " look it has four seats! How practical :confused:;) She just went :rolleyes: And then the owner came up and said "Mate, do you see my wife here, nope get a two seater , you will never use the other two".

Same when we visited Le Mans France Museum. So droll worthy. WIfe said, OK, I will wait here with daughter, go crazy. LE MANS!!!!:eek:

IMG_1718.jpg

FYI Peter

If you have a net worth of 3-4m and driving a 10k-20k car something is wrong IMO.
Not always the case,i know people worth 10mill plus don't owe one cent to anyone and still drive 12 year old cars,but if i was going to buy a car i would like the getaway car from Arnold-Schwarzenegger new movie,The Last Stand,never seen a motor red-line like that motor..

Last edited:
Lol go on that whirlpool place and there's this bloke is trying to suggest Mazda 3 for every purpose. Rally driving mazda 3, people mover Mazda 3 , towing mazda 3 , super car mazda 3, Best ute for Australian conditions :mazda 3, 8 cylinder mazda 3. Cement truck mazda 3,I hate mazdas.if you are game get onto whirlpool and suggest that Porsche can beat a mazda 3 at the lights.

Thread revival!

I just bought my dream car, will take delivery before the weekend. 150-200k bracket.

Talked it through with the wife a lot and we decided that if we're going to do this at all, now is the time. So we went and did it :D We are purchasing investments at the same time with a target of offsetting both the car's running costs and depreciation.

I have no shortage of friends who say "when you get older, your priorities change! don't waste your money on cars!" To them I say, "well s#!t, I better enjoy it now before I'm too old then, hey??"

Cars are a passion, as are golf, boats, travelling the world etc.... they mean different things to different people. Within one's means, they should be enjoyed responsibly such that they permit ongoing investment and growth.

I believe that the only thing worse than living beyond one's means is investing forever and losing sight of what made you excited as a young kid.

Awesome! Do tell

Is this for "business use" aswell?

Or just a regular finance loan?

Edit: I'd be happy with a 95 Ferrari berlinetta F1

The car is a 2014 Lotus Evora S :)

0c306c18eb.jpg

Not the most solid company, not the most solid cars, but I am prepared to forego some daily driver qualities for a vehicle that really exhilarates. I have driven one on a track at a private facility ("The Farm" in NSW) and it left an incredibly lasting impression. It is a second car for me so when it needs some work, there is no rush.

Private use paid with cash. I was considering a finance deal but I received the T&C today and I'm not comfortable with many clauses such as letting them into my garage at any time so that they can check on the car... ?

Beautiful car.

Easiest way to get something cheap (sub $30k) that is as fast as a Ferrari or Lambo is to get a motorcycle.

Downside is they are dangerous.

Dream car for me is just an A4 Wagon. Fits the dog, the surfboards, the girlfriend and is nice enough inside to remind me of the hard work I did to buy it.

Back