Buying a 'dream car'

The car is a 2014 Lotus Evora S :)

0c306c18eb.jpg

Not the most solid company, not the most solid cars, but I am prepared to forego some daily driver qualities for a vehicle that really exhilarates. I have driven one on a track at a private facility ("The Farm" in NSW) and it left an incredibly lasting impression. It is a second car for me so when it needs some work, there is no rush.

Private use paid with cash. I was considering a finance deal but I received the T&C today and I'm not comfortable with many clauses such as letting them into my garage at any time so that they can check on the car... ?

Lotus has always been my dream car since a kid, that being said, I would never get a Evora, even though they are sexy, sorry chylld. I do have a soft spot for the elise, even the base model, but if I was going to put in that sort of $$$, id definitely go the Exige. In fact if I won lotto or became best friends with bill gates, one of the cars in my garage would be a exige with various upgrades, to make a beast. Damn they are sexy cars!!

Beautiful car.

Easiest way to get something cheap (sub $30k) that is as fast as a Ferrari or Lambo is to get a motorcycle.

Downside is they are dangerous.

Dream car for me is just an A4 Wagon. Fits the dog, the surfboards, the girlfriend and is nice enough inside to remind me of the hard work I did to buy it.

Seconded, I have a Yamaha r6 and im pretty sure its faster then any ferrari or lamborghini, but hell its dangerous. I love riding it for a bit of a rush

0c306c18eb.jpg

Not the most solid company, not the most solid cars, but I am prepared to forego some daily driver qualities for a vehicle that really exhilarates. I have driven one on a track at a private facility ("The Farm" in NSW) and it left an incredibly lasting impression. It is a second car for me so when it needs some work, there is no rush.

Private use paid with cash. I was considering a finance deal but I received the T&C today and I'm not comfortable with many clauses such as letting them into my garage at any time so that they can check on the car... ?

Oh boy that is a nice car. I wish I had the balls to pay it in cash.

I have been thinking.

Pretending money is no object.
If I want a practical small to medium sized car that is easy and comfortable to drive in a city.

What to buy?

M3/C63/S4 all too extreme and hard ride.
DB9/911/F360 all too low and difficult.
XJ/7 Series/S Class/A8 all too big and cumbersome.

There does not seem to be anything exotic expensive and practical.

Cls63 amg shooting brake. Rare unique car, practical big boot, goes like stink

Or Audi RS6 wagon

G wagon amg is a boat, cool looking car but handles like poo

0c306c18eb.jpg

Phwoar <3 <3

Very interesting thread.

My wife has a new Audi SQ5 and I am awaiting for my Audi S4 to be built. Between them and the motorbikes, we pay cash for our cars.

We still have our investments however in my opinion, you need to enjoy the rewards along the journey. We spend a short time living and a long time dead - best to work, invest, and play while we're around.

Did you get it from Artarmon?

Yep, SSC Lotus. I live in Chatswood so it is quite convenient :)

I would never get a Evora ... I do have a soft spot for the elise ... if I was going to put in that sort of $$$, id definitely go the Exige

The Elise and Exige are phenomenal cars, they handled better on the track than the Evora but, for me personally, they sacrifice too many creature comforts that I run the risk of leaving them in the garage because I'm "not in the right mood today." Not to mention that it's a severe core muscle workout getting in and out! :D

That said, everyone has different tastes, could be this car, that car, this holiday, that sport, whatever. I think it's awesome that you know what you want.

We still have our investments however in my opinion, you need to enjoy the rewards along the journey. We spend a short time living and a long time dead - best to work, invest, and play while we're around.

As long as it is sustainable! It is relatively easy to save up enough cash for your dream car (I was eyeing a McLaren 12C, ~$300-350k) however I would have no cash left over for investments let alone the exorbitant running costs. I could afford to buy it but I could not afford to own it. The Evora is a balanced decision for me and lets us continue our investment strategy, even though we sacrifice some growth momentum for vehicular momentum :p

purty. it would scrape on my driveway. but noice.

Hopefully by end of the week I'll know if it scrapes on mine too... :confused:

As long as it is sustainable! It is relatively easy to save up enough cash for your dream car (I was eyeing a McLaren 12C, ~$300-350k) however I would have no cash left over for investments let alone the exorbitant running costs. I could afford to buy it but I could not afford to own it. The Evora is a balanced decision for me and lets us continue our investment strategy, even though we sacrifice some growth momentum for vehicular momentum :p

If you had bought a mclaren, I would have camped outside your house to get a glimpse of it everymorning with a voice recorder to record the sound!!!

If you had bought a mclaren, I would have camped outside your house to get a glimpse of it everymorning with a voice recorder to record the sound!!!

The dealer started it up in the showroom, my god it is deafening even at idle. Normally I'm excited to hear car engines but my first instinct with the 12C was to turn it off since it was actually unpleasant.

If you skip to 4:05 in this video, that's the best recording I've found of what it sounds like in person. Just turn your volume up until it's painfully loud, then turn it up a few notches more. Shmee says "cool" after starting the engine, but you can barely hear his voice!

You would not be able to start the 12C in any public area without attracting the attention of every living organism within earshot.

Back