Buying burnt or badly damaged properties

Hi All,

I am wanting to investigate purchasing badly damaged houses (burnt out for example)...how do I go about finding them? Do I go directly to the real estate agents (cause I cant find them on the internet).

I am looking to buy cheap, knock them down and rebuild.

Any info would be appreciated.

Daniel,

You could try doing a keyword search in domain.com.au , some keywords you could try are

fire damaged
knock down
land value
termite damaged

Hi DG

U probab;y already know this

Be prepared to have the cash to buy the place.

Are you doing owner build style rebuild / reno or licensed fixed price contract ?

ta
rolf

[QUOTE

You could try doing a keyword search in domain.com.au , some keywords you could try are

fire damaged
knock down
land value
termite damaged[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll bite. How do you do a keyword search? I can only search by suburb (under Seach to Buy).

Karen

Just bought two mid 100k's houses this week in two different locations for renovations. One is a hertiage place with development potential. Both these will be worth $250-270k each once renovated with rents of $450pw.

Just bought two mid 100k's houses this week in two different locations for renovations. One is a hertiage place with development potential. Both these will be worth $250-270k each once renovated with rents of $450pw.

Are they from regional towns?

Heaps of Dept housing ones.

Try 2770 postcode. There are a few fire damage and/or damage.

As mentioned- you need cash. Banks will not lend on a house that's not habitable.

These are regionals and were secured before listing.

I will dislose one on monday with a video and one by next friday with video :)

To follow up with Travel Bug, this is correct one must require one of two things ideally.

1) buy the property unencumbered (with cash)
2) use a lender which will do a desktop val no questions and use suitable deposit.

I am wanting to investigate purchasing badly damaged houses ... to buy cheap, knock them down and rebuild...

G'Day Daniel

As Rolf said, be prepared to pay cash

However, I bought an eighty year old house twelve months ago which was in a very sad way

I had hoped to have plans ready for the new house when I lodged the application for finance, but alak was nowhere near having any plans at all, but I made sure that I was very clear in the Broker Notes that the house was not going to be renovated, but sent to Wonthaggi - or down the tip - and that I regarded what I had bought as vacant land

The Valuer, apparently, chortled away quite happily at the state of the place but stopped chortling long enough to put a Credit Caution in the Report

Luckily, Head of Credit rang me to find out exactly what I was doing. The valuer had appraised the 'improvements' at $16,000, so Credit deducted the $16,000 from the Contract price and would then lend to a ratio of the remainder

As I was running up against Settlement, and couldn't risk days or even weeks delays with the Mortgage Insurers thinking about it, I opted for a 60% lend - of the 'land value'.

Ouch and double ouch!

And then I couldn't get insurance because the condition of the place was so bad

However, I recently got a quote of $9,650 to demolish the house and clear the block (including removing all the concrete driveways, sheds etc) which is a lot cheaper than I thought it would cost.

So how do your find these treasures? Most damaged properties will be advertised as such.

Generally, the reason why the damaged property is sold 'as is' and not repaired is because it was not insured

But you are not necessarily going to get any bargains. If the property is in a popular area, many people would think that the demolition job is already half done and that they are not going to get any ojections to removing the house.

That doesn't necessarily mean that there are not going to be objections if you want to do more than replace what was previously there

Sometimes, the 'dated but good condition' places are cheaper than the 'never seen a spanner in it's life' properties - as they can appear to be 'too good' to demolish, if only someone would spend a squillion dollars doing them up

When I did the reno / dual occ, believe me, never again. If demolition costs less than $10,000 it's quicker, cleaner and easier to bring in the bulldozers and start again.

Just make sure you are well and truly cashed up before you start looking. Something needing a new bathroom is one thing, something needing a bulldozer is remarkably hard to finance.

cheers
Kristine

Back