Buying first house - letter from 1970

Hi, thought I would share this letter written by my Sister-in-Laws father to the paper, that she dug up in an old folder at his home. It was written in 1970, and her dad is now in his 70's. Seems all the issues the current FHB are experiencing are not new - who would have thought... :rolleyes:

Nadia

Attachments

• dads article.jpg
    dads article.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 209
I wonder what the outer suburbs were considered to be in 1970, 15km from CBD? Now it's more like 30km (for Melbourne at least).

I lived in Sydney and Melbourne during the 60s and 70s, and the outer suburbs were closer, but I bet there is more infrastrucure and facilities available now in Frankston or Penrith than there was in the CBD in the 70s. I think it is peoples expectations that have changed, not the ability to purchase. Those that want it bad enough will find a way.

What is considered a normal first home would have been a mansion then.

My house in Mitcham was part of an estate in the 60's. I thought 25 minutes by train to the city was close!

Great post Nards. I'll have to pass this onto a few people.

I remember my parents sold their 3br weatherboard house in Nth Ryde, Sydney in 1968 for around 13k. Dad transfered for work to Tassie where they bought 1/2 acre of land built a 3 br Jennings brick house for the same money. The house was "in the bush" a bit but now is about an 8 minute drive from Hobart. It would be interesting to get a cost comparison now to see the values.

I now live about 35 minute drive from the city but back in the 70's it was almost condidered a day trip to visit this area.

Back