Buying in Mitchelton, Gaythorne, Enoggera

Hi all,

I am looking to buying a house in the area I currently live - Mitchelton, Gaythorne or Enoggera.

This would be my first home and to be honest I know very very little about the process, what to look for etc so hoping that some kind Somersoftian could point me in the right direction.

I would like to buy in this area because:
- close to the Army base and thus a source of tenants for when we have to move in Jan 2011 (we are on a Army posting here)
- very close to the city, 10 mins in the car or take the train
- I think it is good value considering it is so close to the city

Our budget is $430k. I think this puts Enoggera out of the picture and to a lesser degree Mitchelton, it seems slim pickings in this price range. The ones less than $400k seem to be snapped up. I check realestate.com every day and it seems that prices have risen in the area over the past 6 months.

My wish list is:

- decent size block
- older style house that is unrenovated or needs some work
- 3 bedrooms

What do you think? A good area to buy?

Also, where or what should I read to educate myself on this process? I get nervous just thinking about it! :)

Hi ARS

I would stick to what you can afford. Maybe you need to look further out on that train line to places like Keperra and Ferny Grove.

A rough assumption is you need to add 4-5% for closing costs aswell.

Cheers
Rick

Hi Ars,
I agree with Ricksta.. Sticking to what you can afford, and Keperra is great value at the moment. I think you should be able to pick up a 3bed renovator for $380-400k.. although most tend to be 2bed. You may have noticed it's been tipped for some high growth from a few sources.. actually I think the cat was let out of the bag a while ago..

Another area you could check out is over the other side of the train tracks at Everton Park? Within walking distance to Mitchy station. Also tipped for some growth.
Also, where or what should I read to educate myself on this process? I get nervous just thinking about it! :)
Then ask more questions!! :D

Thank you both for your reply. :)

I will definately look over the tracks and at Keperra. Coming from Sydney I found it quite amazing when we arrived and found you could buy a house 6kms from the city for $400k!

VB "Then ask more questions!!" - thanks, just don't want to be a pest and feel I should be finding the info out myself.

Here are some sales stats for the last 15 years

Cheers Rick

Attachments

• growth.jpg
    growth.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 128
Keperra, keperra, keperra...

happy to sit down with you and explain why as you are around the corner!!

send me a PM if you want a coffee - might get VBplease along as he is local too!! :p

Another vote for Keperra to fit your criteria. Next suburb out from Mitchy and bargains to be had. Along side a great golf course too!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Will be browsing r/e.com tonight for Everton Park and Keperra

How does one start? Just start going to open houses to get a feel for the whole process and see what's out there?

Urban Cowboy - PM sent, many thanks!

Back