Buying in Sunbury in Victoria

Hi all:

Hope all of you are doing fine :). I am back to this forum after a long time in terms of posting. However I do keep track of whats going on from time to time.

Currently I am living in eastern part of Melbourne in Croydon and have been living for last 3 years. I loved every bit of it as shops, transport etc are all close by. Recently my wife got a job in Bendigo and to travel everyday to Bendigo, it's a big commute( 3 hrs one way :( ). I am seriously considering to move to some suburbs in west and obviously bit established ones. I picked up Sunbury in terms of transport, shops etc. There is Vline that goes from Sunbury to Bendigo and also to city. Wondering whether it's possible to get some feedback about Sunbury in terms of living with a family. I read somewhere the other name of Sunbury is Scumbury :). Well we have got some bad element in every suburb. So hows it living in Sunbury? How about the shops, transport, parkland and access to basic amenities?Also which part of Sunbury is a good part?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

DreamzUnlimited

Hi,

I think train line is getting electrified till sunbury.. It won't be a vline forever..

Based on email updates I get.. I don't knw much abt the area but I can ask my colleague who stays at sunbury.. Good to have local knowledge..

Regards,
TV

Hi TV :

Thanks for that. What do you mean by 'getting electrified'? Do you mean Metro would operate till Sunbury and Sunbury onwards, would it be VLINE?

Yes any feedback from your Sunbury colleagues would be helpful.

Feedback from others would be appreciated too :)

Regards,

DreamzUnlimited

I lived in Sunbury for a couple of years, but I think my views may not help.

You see, I lived there in the late 70's, and I was only 5 years old! :D

I spent 18 years in Sunbury, left 10 years ago. A lot of things have changed since then, but a lot probably hasn't. If you state which part of town you're interested in, and the questions you have, I might be able to help.

Sunbury is the cross-over point between Metro and VLine, so it's the ideal point for splitting the distance between Melbourne and Bendigo.

I spent 18 years in Sunbury, left 10 years ago. A lot of things have changed since then, but a lot probably hasn't. If you state which part of town you're interested in, and the questions you have, I might be able to help.

Sunbury is the cross-over point between Metro and VLine, so it's the ideal point for splitting the distance between Melbourne and Bendigo.

Jagganath :

Thanks for the response. As I am aiming to live with my family, I want to know which part of the town is good for that with amenities closeby like transport, medical center, shops, parks etc. Also if I move out of Subury after few years, is it a good place in terms of investment?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers!

DreamzUnlimited

Can't talk to investment. Sherwood is the older 'nicer' part of town, big blocks and houses, but a bit of a distance from facilities. I think the area near the sports ovals or Rupertswood are the areas you want to be in IMO, but I haven't been back a long time

Can't talk to investment. Sherwood is the older 'nicer' part of town, big blocks and houses, but a bit of a distance from facilities. I think the area near the sports ovals or Rupertswood are the areas you want to be in IMO, but I haven't been back a long time

Thanks for that. However couldn't make out where exactly Sherwood or sports ovals is.

By Rupertswood I think you mean the area around Rupertswood mansion.

Regards,
DU

killara is nice, the part opposite killara on the other side of riddell rd is also nice and alot newer. gap road and surrounds generally lower socio as well as goonawarra. up near the uni is also a nice area and closer to shops/train etc. but you pay for it.

i grew up in riddell, rented in sunbury for a few years before moving over to paraburdoo.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-sunbury-108632091 - example of house in sherwood. another nice area and quiet.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-sunbury-108457766 - example of house near killara. check the map, that estate and the one directly opposite are nice.

Last edited:
We've been here in Sunbury for 10 years or so now and boy, has it grown! The first question I would ask is how old are your kids? There seems to be pockets in Sunbury of teenagers or older which may sway your choice.

The shops are pretty good but the parking can be a battle and driving across Sunbury at 9am ish is shocking what with the roundabouts and lolly pop ladies. Nothing compared to other areas of Melbourne though so I try not to be wingey.

What else? A lot of ppl commute to Bendigo I believe and the trains are ok too in that direction (yes Vline). To the city it will be Metlink which has it's pros and cons. They keep talking about a second train station but that's just talk at the moment.

You'll probably want easy access to the Calder for driving to Bendigo so stick to Killara, Strathearn Glen etc. It's really nice around Spavin Lake and the reserve at the back of Killara has bike track all the way to the shops and it does join up nicely now. I'd steer clear of Mt Holden (new estate up the hill on Phillip Drive) as the blocks are tiny and the houses are all stock standard investment sells, so it will be a big rental area.

Goonawarra has improved but is still known as the more feral area and it's really the wrong side of Sunbury for you anyway(?).

The schools are great but there are only 3 highschools (one is Catholic) so this may or may not influence your choice.

The medical and community centre are both excellent (but get busy!) and there is a private hospital for a few procedures. For the big stuff we would still have to drive to a city hospital (or Sunshine if desperate) but if it's not peak hour that's not too bad.

Sunbury has a great bus system but at the moment it dosen't time well with the trains. They've told us this should improve with the electrification.

Investment wise, well we've done ok in our PPOR and do ponder sometimes about purchasing an IP here too as it's all still pretty reasonably priced (compared to say, Essendon). But it's not too rough that you'd have to stress about tenants too much (my opinion only, don't hold me to that!)

It's really hard to cover everything that may influence your choice. I'd be going on for days.... :)
There is a Sunbury forum called Sunbury online that may be able to help you too. http://www.sunburyonline.com/

Spavin Lake? haha Used to be called Spavin Dam, obviously gone all upmarket on me :D

The sports oval used to be called Clarke Oval (just popped into my mind), it's east by about 1.5km of the major shopping centres. Sherwood and Sherwood Hills are an estate on the way to Emu Bottom, they're mostly big houses on big blocks.

All :

That's a great input. Well we are just a young couple without any kid. So what I made out is that the area north of the station surrounding Racecourse road, Riddell Road, Elizabeth Drive is nice. And then down the Uni way is also pretty good.

I can see lot of properties around Gap Road, Philip Drive, Charter Road are on sale. Wondering why ????

So whens Metro starting the city bound train service fully?

Cheers!
DU

We've been here in Sunbury for 10 years or so now and boy, has it grown! The first question I would ask is how old are your kids? There seems to be pockets in Sunbury of teenagers or older which may sway your choice.

The shops are pretty good but the parking can be a battle and driving across Sunbury at 9am ish is shocking what with the roundabouts and lolly pop ladies. Nothing compared to other areas of Melbourne though so I try not to be wingey.

Wondering have they got Myer, Target, KMart, BIGW etc out there? Also which pockets/areas do you refer to?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Cheers!

Used to have a Country Target, KMart and Big W in the major shopping complex, but that was 10 years ago at least. Go out and drive around yourself, get a feel for the place.

Hi DU, sorry I forgot I was going to reply with more information for you...

The shops are pretty good, but they are spread out a bit. Theres Sunbury Square with Coles, Best and Less and speciality shops. Across the train tracks is Woolies and Big W. Target has it's own group of shops with it and Harris Scarfe not far from it. Theres a Lincraft, Aldi, Bunnings, various furniture, auto, op shops and ofcourse The Reject Shop! Too many to list really but no Myer or Kmart but Watergardens is only 25 mins drive and Highpoint isn't too far to get to either.

Also with the kids/teenager thing I just meant it seems like the newer areas ie. Ashfield estate have lots of young families and the older pockets ie. Strathearn Glen, Sherwood the kids have grown up. this is a big generalisation ofcourse but you get the idea.

I'd avoid Phillip Drive as this road is going to get very busy with the Mt Holden and area getting all built up. Thats why there are a few houses for sale along it I'm guessing.

Definately come out and check out Sunbury, grab a copy of the local papers (real estate agents have copies) and look at the Hume Council website too.

:)

Back