Buying new house - whats good and whats not?

When purchasing a new house, what things do you look for to assist in making it a good future IP?

We have seen and are comparing everything from
double door entry vs single entry
wide hall ways vs normal size halls
double vs single story
white kitchens vs darker toned kitches
theater room vs alfresco area outside
double vs single garage
3 bedroom plus study vs 4 bedroom

The above list of inclusions all determine the price and some houses have some and not others ideally what do you look for when buying a new house for future IP?

Your tips and advice is very appreciated

land/block size is always good

regarding being a good future IP, sometimes it's worth looking at houses that have terrible traits (eg. ugly kitchens, bathrooms) then doing a reno to get rid of it. the house need not be perfect *now*, if you get my gist? just my 2 cents :)

double vs single story

Single story more attractive to anyone over the age of 50 and families with young children.

The thing with kitchens and bathrooms is that if not carefully designed they can look very dated very quick. Personally I like neutrals and nothing too "in your face" such as patterned tiles. Today they'll look hip, tomorrow they'll look hopeless.

double vs single garage

Double certainly better. Same house with a double garage would get more than with a single and, imho, a single would put alot of people off.

4th bedroom could be an office or a bedroom. An alcove that is big enough for a desk isn't an alternative bedroom. No brainer there.

What Market are U in

Hi there:
When I am doing a development I like to look at the end before the begining.
If I have purchased a up market block of land in a canal or close to water area I would not be building a simple 3 bedroom home.
As well if I purchased a block in the Burbs I would not be building a 3 storey home with 5 car garage and infinite pool.
Horses for courses!

Check the are out. What is wanted / needed / supplied or not supplied. If it is only a investment do not go over the top.

I find even in cheaper areas.

Nice facade
Panel lift garage doors
Nice entry door
Neutral colours
Stainless appliances
Alfresco if possable
Low maintenance.

Different markets:
I sell a lot to retired people. They want Low Maintenance, Secure yard, Storage for boat or van, extra room for grandchildren to visit and stay. But don't want large lawns or gardens, painting or maintenance, facilities like shops, medical and larger city facilities close enough that it is not a major trip.

But if you are selling to a young markrt they will want Hospitals, child minding, schools, work and Now Days with fuel so dear Transport links either rail or bus.

Depends on the area - don't buy something that is too different to what is 'normal' or you'll get people turning up to your first open and running away.

In the area my IP is in there are a lot of 3x1 houses and it is not unusual to find no offstreet parking or just a carport. Even in the big 4x2's carports are pretty standard and garages are unusual. My IP is going to get stuck with no offstreet parking (it is a 1360sqm block) unless I can convince the council to remove a kerbed-in ornamental shrub on the road outside the IP, and I'm planning to build a 3x1 house with a carport next door as a second IP in a couple of years now we've finally sorted out what we're doing with the PPoR.

When purchasing a new house, what things do you look for to assist in making it a good future IP?

We have seen and are comparing everything from
double door entry vs single entry
wide hall ways vs normal size halls
double vs single story
theater room vs alfresco area outside
double vs single garage

The above list of inclusions all determine the price and some houses have some and not others ideally what do you look for when buying a new house for future IP?

Your tips and advice is very appreciated

Tenants are tough on IP's and won't treat it like their own (unless they are a Landlord as well), so having you-beaut fittings and extras are generally a bit of a waste of money.

Single entry - not double. More cost to build, more things to break.
Wide halls mean more cost to you, and achieve nothing - normal halls.
Single storey - not double, unless you have a very small block and need a decent size house (townhouses for eg).
White (or light) kitchens - not darker. Most people (especially women) seem to prefer light and freshness, and darker tones can date quickly.
Alfresco area - not theatre. You can provide a property with an extra living room and let the tenants decide how they'll use it. Everyone likes an outdoor area though.
4 beds - not 3 + study. Same as above; let tenant choose usage.
Double garage - not single. More storage space - garages rarely get used for an actual car (maybe one).

Back