Buying On A Cross Street (Intersection)

Buying On A Cross Street (Intersection) can be similar to buying a property with an easement or worse.

You lose some property as the roads authority cuts your corner block so that vehicles have better visibility. Then there is always the greater risk of a vehicle ploughing into your house.

More foot traffic around your property means thieves can enter more easily. Also more noise and pollution. Tenants with youg kidswon't like it, restricting your rental market.

I'd say a 10-15% reduction in sale price is justified.

I went to 3 open houses today and judging by the amount of people, this property boom is far from finished. Had to line up on the footpath to sign in! 100 people at some houses.

I'm looking at Saint Bludy Marys and Leumeah. Stuff all under 400K (for a house)

Corner block - more footpath for the resident to mow.

Not if you let it overgrow and wait for the council to cut it for free! Lodge a complaint to the council that its a trip hazard - that gets them moving lol

And while they're at it they can clean up the empty KFC wrappers (that have been thrown over the fence :p)

When we were first married, we lived on a corner block with a main road. I'd come home from work to find coke cans filled with stones in the garden about where the window above had been smashed. The previous owners had installed some huge rocks out the front near the corner - a rock garden feature ie truck stoppers.

Is it really that undesirable?? Can I potentially use that as a negotiating point? Combined with the fact that the one I'm looking at has no fencing at all. PLUS, it is situated in a 'dodgier' suburb. Not your average posh address...

Having said that, would I get into trouble trying to lease it?

Note: it's a T-junction actually, and a very short no-through road, so I suppose cars usually drive pass it.

Back