Buying/selling with novelty numbers (eg. $333,333)

Hi,

Just wondering what people here think of using unique 'novelty' figures when listing a property for sale, or what do you think of these advertisements when you come across them as a buyer?

Eg, unit for $333,333 or a house for $525,252

The idea being just to give them something to stand out amongst the 000's everywhere else.

-Ian

Hi,

Just wondering what people here think of using unique 'novelty' figures when listing a property for sale, or what do you think of these advertisements when you come across them as a buyer?

Eg, unit for $333,333 or a house for $525,252

The idea being just to give them something to stand out amongst the 000's everywhere else.

-Ian

this can be important to believers in feng shui, but it's more about the street address than the price asked. 333,333 registers in my brain as 1/3 of a mil, 525252 registers as half a mil.

yeah i never saw the point... very rarely do properties sell for exactly an asking price.. the price is there as a guide. I worked with an agent for a while who loved ending things in 500's e.g 400,500 or 1,000,500. Or using 7's e.g 417,000, 527,000... always just kind of annoyed me.

very rarely do properties sell for exactly an asking price.

But my question is not about the final sale price, it's about the initial listing, which as you rightly say is rarely the same figure.

eg: List $555,555, Offer: $520,000, Counter-Offer: $530,000, SOLD!

I get suspicious when a list price is a funny number. It does make me stop and look, I suppose, and that is perhaps what the aim is, but I am looking for what is wrong, so perhaps it backfires.

If I saw a 127,000 and a 130,000 I have the gut feel that I could knock the 127,000 down in price further. 127,000 looks as though it has been discounted from a more rounded number.

Of course, this is all mind games...

i like rounded numbers ... ie, $127,000. i get really annoyed at numbers like $127,995 - for the sake of $5 make the bloody number $128,000!!! :mad:

i know why agents do such - to make the figure look $127k rather than $128k, but to me it seems like they are deliberately trying to mislead.

maybe because i am a control and minimalisation freak.

Lizzie, would you be equally annoyed at $128,005? In that case, they're obviously not trying to make the place look $1k cheaper.

But my question is not about the final sale price, it's about the initial listing, which as you rightly say is rarely the same figure.

eg: List $555,555, Offer: $520,000, Counter-Offer: $530,000, SOLD!

Yes i was meaning to infer that i dont see a point in having an odd list price, as it wont sell for that odd number anyway.

Yes i was meaning to infer that i dont see a point in having an odd list price, as it wont sell for that odd number anyway.

The point is to make the advertisement stand out. I think that was mentioned in the original post.

Also, you could say that about any price, not just novelty figures... i.e. What's the point of listing something at $1,000,000 as it won't sell for that exact number anyway.

Back