Can a tattoo really be tax deductible?

This is going to sound weird, but I got a tattoo today and it's related 100% to something I do with my job.

How to explain better without giving too much info.... um... let's pretend I worked for an advertising company and one of my clients was Nestle and I got a tattoo of a Cherry Ripe or something. Then I posted pictures online and got people talking about the product. That's promotion right? My work colleagues are telling me I should charge the cost of the tattoo to my business and claim it as a tax deduction.

I thought it was crazy at first, but when you think about it, it kinda makes sense. I know this tattoo of mine sounds silly, but the real life situation is not I promise!

Would love your thoughts on whether I claim the cost back through my business or not.

yeah that certainly is something different. To be honest with you it would probably fly under the radar because the cost is low.

When i had a go training down @ a local martial arts gym, one of the trainers had the name of the gym tattoo'ed on his leg.

Regards,

RH

Yes, maybe it would go under the radar, except that my true design (all of the 'product') is a sleeve - $500 a time x 6 or so visits. All paid for at different times so maybe it's not so noticeable.

So u are getting a tattoo of something you want (personal) using a tattoo ink product (the stuff you saying is being used for advertising the tattoo ink yeah?)

I think you would be pushing ***** up hill to say that is all business if that was the case. That would be for sure personal.

Now say if you was a model (one of those 50's style type dressing ones) who's tattoo's was apart of the "image" of your job then yes you probably could do it

does it include a phone number, website, or company name?
Would you be claiming depreciation..as you age? :D

if so,so may have case.
We printed T shirts with our Company name on it.We are using these as tax deductions,

I think if you are going to be earning money from it or promoting a client's, or your own business from it, then I don't see why it would not be tax deductible.

I remembered a news article about this very thing from about 2-3 years ago, so I googled "tattoo advertising" - and there are lots of websites there promoting it.

i think it would be if you are going to make photos of it and keep selling it for profit.

however if it's a one off it will probably qualify as a hobby, in which case you can't claim it, and you also don't need to declare the income from it.

hi
no
you want an answer that it
why
for an item to be a tax deduction it has to be seen to make an income
now lets just look at this
your tat will it make a profit
for me no
for you yes
how do we tell whos right
we cant
ato say no
simple
can a billboard ( a bit bigger then you tat)be a tax reduction no
can it be part of a advertising for the company
yes
why
different parts of ato ledger
its that simple
if you had a company that had 15 people with the same tat and they made an income from the tat
maybe but it would need to cover 75% of your body
so if you want vodfone tated on 75% of your body fine
post it
a nose ring with dons pizza no

If the purpose of the tattoo was as advertising and it is related to your job (employee) then you should claim it as an expense against your company not against your income. This being said I would expect more than a reimbursement from the company to wear a permanent advertisement.

If you are self employed then you may be able to claim part of the costs due to the use in advertising however given that it is permanent it will be difficult to determine the split between personal and business costs.

You could charge an appearance fee when used in advertising/promotions. Getting paid for appearances would also add weight to any claim for the initial costs.

Regards

Andrew

If it's covered up when you're not wearing work atire, I'd suggest it's not really advertising anything and wouldn't be deductable, unless there's some reason why you can't function properly in your job without it.

Back