Can I add a name to property deeds ??

Hi, I'm thinking about purchasing property with my partner. She is a student at the moment so I am applying for the mortgage myself. However she will be giving a significant amount of the deposit and will be paying her part of the mortgage when she graduates in a few years.

If the mortgage is under my name, when I purchase the property, do the property deeds have to be in my name only or can I add my girlfriend. She just wants to safeguard her investment if things go pear shaped between us.

Thanks,
Col

Col

If you put it in two names you will increase your exposure to any litigation, bankruptcy etc, however unlikely.

You will also have diluted tax advantages if an IP, as deductions will be split 50/50 between the two of you and if one of you is not working, or earning less, it will reduce your tax claims.

However, I understand where you're coming from. Would a loan agreement be a safer bet? You could check this out with a solicitor.

Thanks for the advice Tubs. Can you tell me what a loan agreement is ? Is this something like a legal agreement stating that if I sell the property I must give 50% of the profit to some named person?
Thanks,
Col

Hi Colin

Why complicate the matter?

Two of you are buying, one is putting up the deposit, the other is paying the instalments for a few years while the depositor finishes studying and gets a job.

There is nothing unusual with this. You just say 'purchasing property' so if this is owner occupied that's all there is to it. If it is an investment property, then to the best of my knowledge, any 'loss' can be carried forward by the depositor until she has a taxable income.

If you buy as Joint Tenants, then in the event of the demise of one owner, the full ownership of the property automatically passes to the survivor.

If you buy as Tennants in Common, you will need to write Wills to ensure that the relevant share is distributed as you wish.

Regarding borrowing, it really doesn't matter if only one applicant has an income.

If you want to buy together, then borrow together, it makes for a neater package and ensures that you each have equal benefit, liability, and most importantly, control.

Your friend is right: If it all goes pear shaped then there must have been a clear agreement at the commencement of the project.

Remember that buying with anyone means that for subsequent loan applications, you are responsible for the whole of the debt but entitled to receive only half of the income.

And don't forget - most investment properties start out as 'negatively geared' but within a few years are 'positively geared'. Provided that you intend to stay together then buying together is a good idea. If you have any doubt about this, then possibly borrow the money from her but make a clear agreement about paying her back.

Hope this helps

Kristine

Colin

Not really had any experience with them. But you might be able to talk to a solicitor to see it a loan agreement would allow your partner to recover any money from you in the event that the relationship broke up.

Back