Can I claim deductions for a reno for cash jobs?

Every tradie Ive hired for the current seems to only accept cash as a form of payment, most will go to the extent of, "cash only, if its any other payment, I am not doing the job"

since labour is a significant component, is there a legit way to include that in my tax implications?

Sometimes I wonder why I bother ...

Why don't you ask the ATO that one ?

Also, ask why tradies say they will drop the price 10% while they save declaring income tax and also claim any ITC.

Cheers,

Rob

Last edited:

Also, ask why tradies say they will drop the price 10% while they save declaring income tax and also claim any ITC.

Cheers,

Rob

more to the point.......should be closer to 25 % discount on that basis ?

ta

rolf

Cheers,

Rob

not a smart idea to call up the ATO and ask about cash transactions,

also, im happy paying the extra, it seems that my area, nobody works for anything but cash

not a smart idea to call up the ATO and ask about cash transactions,

also, im happy paying the extra, it seems that my area, nobody works for anything but cash

I think you know the answer to your question then.

You don't get any deductions but a modest decrease in cost way below your possible tax deduction whilst the tradie buys a new car & jet ski with the tax saved.

Cheers,

Rob

Last time I checked, cash was a legal form of tender. As long as you get a receipt... (But I guess THAT's the "real" question, isn't it? :rolleyes:)

Just look up the ABN of your tradie, and write a Recipient Created Tax Invoice. :cool:

Brilliant ... I like it.

Although the recipient created tax invoice is only for claiming input tax credits which you are not allowed in relation to input taxed supplies ... you dob in the tradie via ABN after already getting a 10% discount off him.

Cheers,

Rob

Every tradie Ive hired for the current seems to only accept cash as a form of payment, most will go to the extent of, "cash only, if its any other payment, I am not doing the job"

since labour is a significant component, is there a legit way to include that in my tax implications?

I believe the others have covered this quite clearly, but just to add my 2 cents.

It doesn't matter if its a cash job, cheque or beer, if they give you a receipt you can claim it. However, if its a "cash job" as in "you give me cash, I give you no receipt because I was never here *wink* *wink*"then no, you can't claim it. The ATO have substantiation aka documentation requirements for claims, if you can't back up what you put on a tax return, it shouldn't go in. Lets also remember that if you have problem with the work they've done, not having the invoice or receipt on hand could cause you problems, especially with insurance or getting them back to fix their work.

Cash Jobs Gumtree Ads - Cash in Hand and thats just in one area

The offer to give a cash discount means they are giving you the discount because they're not going to declare the income and therefore are going to pay less tax, or that they just want you to pay cash because it's easier and quicker. As stated above you'll know which kind of discount it is, by their willingness to give you a receipt or not.

Cash jobs are not illegal, not declaring income or 'sales' is.

There's a good article here from "The Age"

Cash in hand

The Federal Government said the GST would eliminate the black economy. But the truth is it's blacker than ever. William Birnbauer reports.

"How much for cash, mate?" is a question customarily asked with a knowing nod and a raised eyebrow. It is posed every day across Australia in negotiations over the cost of home renovations, backyard barbecues, fences, TV repairs, tiling, painting, tree lopping, even restaurant meals. A wink and the deal is done, usually for a 10 per cent discount.

The GST, introduced in July 2000, was supposed to maim, possibly kill, the cash economy. It hasn't. Today, the underground economy is worth up to $20.7 billion of potential tax revenue, and some experts say a big crackdown by the Australian Taxation Office has failed to stem the cash flow. circa 2003

Laurie is a bricklayer. He's not greedy and is cautious. Big jobs go through the books, but with smaller ones worth about $2000 to $3000, he'll take cash several times a year. "That's my little bonus to myself," he says.

Laurie says everybody is doing it. In fact, it's got to the stage that many of his building industry mates are knocking back cash jobs because they need to put money through the books to avoid scrutiny by the tax office.

Graeme, a builder, sees this all the time. "One of my subcontractors says at the moment he has that many offers for cash that he can't take them because there'd be no money left to run his business. He takes some, he doesn't take others. He reckons he loses jobs because he won't take cash."

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) believes it is on track to achieve its target of collecting $2.6 billion from the black economy in the three years since the start of the goods and services tax in July, 2000.

But Cynthia Coleman, associate professor of taxation at the University of Sydney's business school, estimates small businesses each sweep at least $1000 under the till in cash each week. She met a home owner last year who had saved $7000 on a new kitchen by paying tradesmen in cash.

Certainly, anecdotal evidence of a flourishing cash economy abounds. All you need is a tradesman - just ask Mary, John, Daniel, and Michael.

Cont...

The contractor avoids maybe 30% tax and possibly 10% GST as well.

You get a 20% discount on the job but don't get to claim the costs under tax- so you forgo maybe 30%.

Is it worth it? Probably only for a job at home which you can't claim.

A Quantity Surveyor is qualified to estimate construction costs, where the real costs aren't known. If cost information is available, then you can only claim for what you have paid and we need to use actual costs. It's a bit of a similar story where owners want to claim works they have done themselves. Unless they own a company and they're invoicing and paying themselves, then the blood sweat and tears is non-deductable sadly.

The ATO have been talking tough about the cash economy, but it does seem like an uphill battle. Getting a receipt is the only real way to go when it comes to claiming depreciation.

As redwing correctly stated 'Cash jobs are not illegal, not declaring income or 'sales' is.'

Back