Can I remove a name on tittle deeds ??

Hi I have a property which has my name and my son name...Can I remove his name from the tittle deed with out paying stamp duty?

Rules differ from state to state. In victoria you can add or remove a spouses name from a title for a nominal charge ($100 when I did it a few years ago). The provision/reason is know as "natural love and affection". It sounds funny I know.

However I'm not sure if you can do that for your children.

I'd suggest giving the SRO a call and asking if "natural love and affection" applies in your case. :)

I tried to add my partner (Husband now) to a title of a house I had in my name only. You have to prove that you have been together for a certain period of time... I think it was 12 months. And yes i thought it was very funny the "Love and affection" bit.
At the moment we are going through a refinance and the title is in my old name not my new married one, just have to wait and see if that will be a problem!

I tried to add my partner (Husband now) to a title of a house I had in my name only. You have to prove that you have been together for a certain period of time... I think it was 12 months. And yes i thought it was very funny the "Love and affection" bit.
At the moment we are going through a refinance and the title is in my old name not my new married one, just have to wait and see if that will be a problem!

Why would you do that? Its your house... keep it that way.

I also took out a loan against a property that was in my old name, the bank (at the last minute) insisted that they would not do the loan until I did some sort of notice of change to name on title. I filled out the forms and it was fine but it did cause a delay.

Why would you do that? Its your house... keep it that way.

We were using that house's equity to buy the house we are in now. And as my now Husband was the major bread winner (90,000) a year and I was and still am on only about 25,000. They wanted both names on the title of that house before they would give us the equity out of it to buy the house in Gladstone.
Cost a lot in stamp duty I remember at the time... not sure of exact amount now though.

Back