Canberra Property Question

It's made a lot of money for the Snows, and has a waiting list of tenants. So something must be 'right' with it, apart form the fact that they are the 'greenest' commercial buildings in OZ.

It may well be 'right' for the tenants (business/govt), because the rent is presumably cheaper than the city and I think there is a shortage of office space in Canberra. But I don't think there is anything 'right' about it from the majority of the workers point of view.

Brindabella Business Park is one of the reasons I want to be financially independent. Having worked there once and decided never again, I don't want to be in the position where I have basically no choice but to take a job out there (more and more jobs moving out there every day especially IT jobs).

Geoff, my ignorance of all things subway is bliss :p

Poppy, "out there", and I'm guessing, is less than 5km and 10 minutes by car from the cbd, less to Fyshwick and Manuka? It's not a prison, where they lock workers in for the duration, is it? What do the workers expect anyway? Civilised facilities? They should be grateful they've got a job! :p

MC

Geoff, my ignorance of all things subway is bliss :p
Actually, unless you're sitting in the servo, you wouldn't even know it was there. Their lease does not allow them any external signage whatsoever.

It struggled for a while, but all that extra Brindabella people have given it some life.

Hi Michael,

Probably used to be 10mins to the city, but traffic has gotten quite bad now in peak times, especially since the brand depot opened. Sometimes it has taken 30mins to get to the city. Don't know if things have improved now since the "excitement" of the brand depot has died down.

My understanding is that there has not been enough new land, eg recently there was a release in Forde and this was all snapped up. Also the Forde land was not cheap, $185,000 for a cottage block. So by the time you had put a house on that land (and building costs are high here), it is costing you a fair bit more than an entry level established home in the surrounding areas keeping the prices of existing homes high.[\quote]

I'm not saying that you won't see any capital gain on the outer suburbs, I think the expected public service increases will see to that, but I think there are better ways to spend your money, and this is why:

Land releases have been slow up until recently... but the ACT govt is *supposedly* releasing 1500 new blocks immediately... there are only around 5-6000 property transfers in the ACT each year, so 1500 blocks is significant. Of course there is a bit of a time delay but the end result is lower capital gains over the same period for similar existing properties than if no blocks were released at all.

Most people who buy in outer suburbs generally do so because for the features they want they can't afford to be closer. 15% of new land releases now are supposed to be 'affordable' housing within the $200-$300 000 range when built (land itself between $60,000 and $120,000). The competition then becomes between an 700m2 block with a 40 year old house in Charnwood or a 300m2 block with a brand new house in nearby macgregor west for the same price.

Back