Canberra

Allhomes is perhaps the best real estate website in Australia in terms of content. Even more for buying than renting.

When you are looking at where to live have a look at how you are going to travel as well as where you will work. If you are going to travel by bus you are better not living in places where you will have to change buses. If you are riding a bike be aware that many buses can carry bikes. Though not Queanbeyan buses. Parking is more expensive in Civic than in other places.

on a side note, allhomes is good, but allclassifieds is awesome! Best place to buy second hand stuff. I wish Melbourne had something similar, in terms of content, popularity and organisation.

thanks all,

i have only just got into tri's recently and do them for fun... i am doing enticers at the moment: 300m swim, 8k ride, 2k run. I am not a memeber of any club, just do ones that i find that look fun and aren't competitive.

also into Kayaking because i can do that on my doorstep.. looking at doing an adventure race in April - Ride, Kayak run.. should be fun.

thanks for the info on the websites re rental.. i will have a look.

I grew up in Queanbeyan, and have lived in Canberra almost all my life.

Some simple rules to help:
1) Avoid far north and far south. Avoid outer Belconnen (including Charnwood).
2) Queanbeyan is great, but you need to pick your street. You will likely get into a better neighborhood by buying 'expensive' Queanbeyan rather than 'cheap' Canberra. Queanbeyan has streets and properties that rival the best, and worst, of Canberra.
3) Work out what type of property you want, and try to find it 15 mins or less drive from the City Centre.
4) Kingston/Manuka is nice, but you tend to pay a snobby location premium. Not a prob if that's your thing.

Personally, I think the city (and adject suburbs such as Braddon) are still relatively good value. For renting value, try Woden/Phillip.

Just my 2 cents...

Back