Capital gains tax - advice please

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone maybe able to provide me with some guidance in terms of the options we have available to us.

Here is a brief description of our situation:

Property 1:

a. Purchased my first home in Melbourne in January 1993 (ie. in my own name) for a $93,000. I lived in the home for a number of years by myself before moving interstate.

b. After I moved interstate I then arranged for my parents to move into the property where they have remained since (ie. I have never charged them rent)

c. The property has never been rented as a result it has never ever been included in any of my tax returns as a rental property to the ATO

d. I recently has this property valued which came in around the vicinity of 520K

Property 2:

a. Then in March 2001 after meeting my wife purchased another home in Melbourne (ie. in both our names) and payed $250k plus stamp duty of approx 15K. (ie; total = 265K).

b. This was my wife?s first property purchase as she never owned a house before.

b. We had intentions of moving into the house straight away but because of work commitments we had to remain in Sydney indefinitely.

c. The house was then let as an investment property from March 2001.

d. The property however was only included on my tax return?s (ie. not those of my wife) an investment property.

d. Then in March 2007 my family and I moved back from Sydney (ie. house vacated by the tenants) and it became our place of residence- where we have remained until now.

e. We then had the property re-valued (ie. in March 2007) as we were considering a renovation and wanted to ensure that we didnt over capitalise. That valuation came in at $530K.

f. In March 2010-September 2010 we renovated the property spending 180K.

g. Recently we had this property revalued and were advised that it was in the vicinity of 850K

I am now looking to sell property 1 in the next few months and based on my understanding I can elect that to be my principle place of residence (ie. given that I lived there for a number of years and then moved out) but have never had it rented.

Therefore I wouldnt be required to pay any capital gains tax on the sale.

In terms of property 2 given that it was only included on my tax returns as an investment property and not on those of my wife.

If we were to transfer the property from both our name?s into that of my ?wife only? through ?Natural love & affection. Based on my understanding in Victoria there would be no stamp duty payable as a result. However we would incur some associated fees.

If we were to sell this property (ie. property 2) in the future after the transfer of title was completed.

Would that property be subject to capital gains tax given that it would be in my wifes name only (ie, not joint names), would be the only property she had ever owned (ie. her only PPOR). Plus it was never included on her tax returns as an investment property when it was rented.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

I take it wife is not on title at all to property 2?

Transferrring to her now would be a CGT event. So it would trigger CGT on the portion transferred. If you ended up owning 50/50 each of your shares would be treated differently for CGT.

Instead of gifting it to her why not let her borrow to purchase it? Could help increase deductions.

So property 2 was purchased in both names but only claimed by you? I'm not sure if that's the correct way of doing things.

I'm not sure when they changed the calculation of cost base from and indexed value to a straight 50%. Property 1 may be able to have indexation applied if you choose- it may or may not be of benefit. It seems possible that there is an overlap in when you choose to claim a residence as PPOR. Property 2 has had a bigger gain so you may be able to claim exemption for that for a period.

Get some really good advice. It's complicated.

I take it wife is not on title at all to property 2?

Transferrring to her now would be a CGT event. So it would trigger CGT on the portion transferred. If you ended up owning 50/50 each of your shares would be treated differently for CGT.

Instead of gifting it to her why not let her borrow to purchase it? Could help increase deductions.

Hi

No my wife has always been on the title of property 2. However she never had a property before.

Hi Terry

To be completely honest I am not entirely sure as it was quite some time ago.

However from memory the accountant recommended that we do it that way. I would ask the accountant however he is no longer practising

Hi Terry

To be completely honest I am not entirely sure as it was quite some time ago.

However from memory the accountant recommended that we do it that way. I would ask the accountant however he is no longer practising

You should seek tax advice as if your wife has an ownership interest she should be declaring the income from the property.

She and may have to make amends.

Sometimes advice is given for short term benefit only. A property which is bought in the name of the higher income earner in order to claim the biggest deductions results in much bigger CGT for that same income earner.

Going back to make amends may be worth while in saving CGT by putting it into both names. I'm not sure how long you can go back- and it may result in extra accounting fees.

I am now looking to sell property 1 in the next few months and based on my understanding I can elect that to be my principle place of residence (ie. given that I lived there for a number of years and then moved out) but have never had it rented.

Therefore I wouldnt be required to pay any capital gains tax on the sale.

You can claim exemption for property 1 for 6 years after the time you moved out. After this you can no longer claim CGT PPOR exemption regardless of whether the house was rented or not.

This is only provided you do not claim PPOR exemption for another property during the 6 year period. I assume the 6 year period expired before 2007 when you moved into your present PPOR, otherwise the exemption time will vary.

You cannot claim full PPOR exemption on one property and your wife on another, only one PPOR allowed.

You will therefore be up for some CGT on the sale of this property - your accountant will be able to do the figures.
Marg

Property 1 was never income producing so you can choose to maintain it as your PPOR and be CGT free regardless of the time that expires after you move out.

You can only choose one property at a time as your PPOR.

Thankyou all for the responses.

How would one go about nominating the main residence exemption from one property to another.

In that I want to sell property one in the next couple of months but then want to also sell property 2 the following year.

Given that with property one I purchased and lived there from 1993 until 1996 and then my parents moved in.

I don't want to pay capital gain tax for the entire period that I have owned property 2 given that I have lived in it since 1997 and would like that to be my PPOR from that time until I sell it.

Is it a case that there would be a requirement that CGT be paid for the period that I didn't actually live in the property one. Alternately I would then be required to pay GCT on the period that property 2 was rented out.

Thanks

Once you have established PPOR (by living it it) you can choose which one to apply the CGT exemption and for which time periods.

This choice is effectively made in the tax return for the year in which the first property is sold.

If you choose to nominate property 2 as your PPOR from the date you moved in then both properties will have some CGT on a proportional basis. CGT would apply to the periods that each property was not chosen to be your PPOR.

There are lots of things to go into the calcs i.e. for Property 1 CGT only relates to you so do you have more income before applying the CG? Property 2 is jointly held so the CGT will be split between you and your wife so consider the tax implications for both. Holding costs can be added to property 2 etc etc.

You need to do the sums and work out options that provide the best tax advantage. You really need to see an accountant now.

You don't have to nominate the PPOR until you sell a property, but then you are committed. If you sell property 1 in 2014 and claim the full exemption (check with your accountant), then you will HAVE to pay CGT for property 2 for the period 1997 to 2014.

If you wish to maintain the CGT exemption for property 2 then you will have to pay CGT on property 1 for the period 1997 (the date you moved into property 2) until the sale of property 1.

Before you do anything you need to get correct tax advice. The ATO monitor property sales so you have to be spot-on or you will be caught out with associated penalties.
Marg

It might not be worth nominating property 1 for the whole time as the expenses which have not been deducted e.g. interest, repairs, council rates, etc will all be third element costs which will reduce the capital gain on sale for property 1

Back