Career in property development

Hi All
This is a career path question for those who's profession is property development or property investment related.

I am trying to map a path from my current project management role in the facilities management area to a development or investment focused role. Any stories and advise greatly appreciated.

Currently I hold a Diploma of Project Management, Prince2 Practitioner certification and I am sitting the Project Management Institute Certified Associate of Project Management (CAPM) certification at the the end of this month. I am planning to commence a post graduate project management qualification next year.

Property investment and value-add/development has been an interest of mine for the last 15 years. 10 years ago I purchased IP number 1. IP numbers 2,3,4,5,6 etc are yet to come. I've also got an entrepreneurial/opportunistic element having successfully built and run a small business for 5 years.

Blending the elements of project management, property investment/value-add and enterprise/opportunism would seem to be a perfect mix of my talents and enthusiasms.

My plan (thus far) for transcending from facilities to development/investment is as follows:
(a) Join project management and property industry groups and start networking with property professionals
(b) complete a Graduate Certificate in Project Management. This has two benefits, firstly it will enable me to step-up the PM ladder and secondly it would be the easiest path for me to gain entry into post graduate property courses. (My undergrad quals are in IT)
(c) complete a Graduate Certificate/Diploma of Property (property development and investment)
(d) market myself to property development and investment businesses

I'm also considering undertaking the Property Council of Australia Industry Diploma courses in Property Investment and Property Development.
http://www.propertyoz.com.au/library/2013 Curriculum Booklet_0.pdf

Has anybody done these courses and do they hold an weight with employers? Would the PropertyOz qualifications help with entry into a development/investment related role sooner?

On a personal level I'd like to complete at least one development prior to taking-up property development/investment as a career. Finding the time between full-time work, study and family commitments will be the biggest challenge to doing developments on a personal level. Of-course once I've cemented myself in the industry I would like to build a substantial personal property portfolio and maybe turn that into a business of it's own one day.

I would make study in the property area a higher priority than further study in project management. You obviously have experience in project management but need to be able to show some skills/knowledge in property to help you make the switch. This would be my first move.

Back