Carpentry course not tax deductible?

Folks,

on Saturday I caught up with my accountant & asked him whether I could claim the expenses of a carpentry course I completed?? he did state that I couldn't claim it as it is treated like a capital expenditure??? I thought it would be deductible, was I wrong?

Cheers,

MannyB.

Hi Manny

Unless you are employed as a carpenter, then, it is unlikely that you could claim the course.

Sorry

Dale

Originally posted by manny
Folks,

on Saturday I caught up with my accountant & asked him whether I could claim the expenses of a carpentry course I completed?? he did state that I couldn't claim it as it is treated like a capital expenditure??? I thought it would be deductible, was I wrong?

Cheers,

MannyB.

Hi Dale,

Are there any exceptions to that, like if I was to take up renovating houses for a living, then is it a tax deduction as I am learning new skills for that (welding, landscaping, etc).
Also what if I did these prior to starting a business renovating houses? so I could show this was training/skills needed to start the business?

Thanks
Chris

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the link, the ATO quote really answers both my questions.
No deductions prior to starting a business, but ok while engaged in the business if related.

Chris

Folks,

thank you for your responses... greatly appreciated... just given me some re-assurance...

(I must admit I tried my best, ie. saying that I did a reno after the course, but didn't work :))

Cheers,

Manuel.

Back