Carrying out IP repairs whilst on holiday

I recently had an interstate holiday for two weeks. While I was there I took a day to see my IP and carry out some minor repairs, as the property was only about an hour from where I was staying. My question is: What portion, if any, of my holiday expenses can I claim against my IP from a tax perspective? I obviously have the Bunnings receipts, but what about fuel, car hire, and accommodation?

The amount that realistically relates to the property.

Possibly 1/14th of the cost of transport to the area, accomdation etc. Maybe more if you hired a car to specifically go to the property. Plus all the direct expenses. if you went with others then only your share.

I recently had an interstate holiday for two weeks. While I was there I took a day to see my IP and carry out some minor repairs, as the property was only about an hour from where I was staying. My question is: What portion, if any, of my holiday expenses can I claim against my IP from a tax perspective? I obviously have the Bunnings receipts, but what about fuel, car hire, and accommodation?

The ATO adopt the view in many cases that the costs of travel to from the holiday is private and thus no portion deductible. There is a type of dominant purpose approach to travel. Local travel only would be minimal and that would be deductible.

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/...5#What_overnight_stay_expenses_can_you_claim_

Car Hire - Maybe one day
Fuel - Cant use cents per KM !!! Need to calculate how many litres for actual diary distance and claim that.
Accom - zero
Travel to/from...Zero
Meals - zero
OverNight accom - zero

Back