Cars in HCMC

On my daily jaunt down the streets of Ho Chi Minh City this morning, something dawned on me - every car on the street is probably no more than a few years old :eek: There is not a single old bomb (or even a moderately aged car) around :eek: ......

Granted the primary mode of transport is the ubiquitous scooter and motor bike... but still.... to see basically only brand new Toyota, Honda, Merc, Audi and Bimmers?

Big difference to Malaysia, where you can see quite a few ancient Proton contraptions going around.... Maybe just a HCMC phenomena - completely different story outside of the city perhaps?

The Y-man

You would see a lot of older cars in Hanoi, but the majority of cars are only a few years old. This is the emergence of the middle class and spending in Viet Nam.
Cheers
Elizabeth :)

Simple, Y-man. There are no 20 year old bombs in Vietnam because nobody had a car 20 years ago!! :D

The only people to have cars were party dignitaries, but I doubt they'd tolerate anything older than 2-3 years.

Think about this paradox: the presence of older cars (and older industrial infrastructure such as bridges, roads, rail, factories…) could in fact be a sign of a more mature stage of development.

What are you doing in Saigon Yman? I'm living there now and didn't realise there are other ss around.

Uh, that's a pity- didn't cross my mind to ask if there were others here..... I'm flying out tomorrow (Sunday) morning back to Melb - but if you are still here this time next year, as Arnie says "I'll be baaak..."

The Y-man

He was sitting in his room waiting for a mission ..... and for his sins they gave him one.....brought it up to him like room service.

Almost..... :) Did spend most of the days in my hotel room.

I think however, I have almost mastered the art of crossing the road without getting taken out.... by motorbikes and scooters.

Even managed to cross those 6 lanes in front of the Ben Thanh without getting collected (I had a video cam running in my hand while I walked across).

I did however nearly get hit by a whole family on a motobike going the wrong way up a one way street (and of course I din't look to that side!). They shouted "Sooooorrryy..." as they skimmed by....

The Y-man

On my daily jaunt down the streets of Ho Chi Minh City this morning, something dawned on me - every car on the street is probably no more than a few years old :eek: There is not a single old bomb (or even a moderately aged car) around :eek: ......
Obviously not made in Japan

Back