Catering Advice for Par-Tay!!

Hello everyone.

I am organising the annual christmas party in our community. It is a Bbq with buffet salads and deserts.

all the food is sorted and i am all ready to go out and hit the shops to pick everything up - party is tomorrow.

The only item that appears to have wild discrepencies in how much it is thought we need is milk. The milk is just for tea and coffee. we expect around 50 adults.

I thought 3 litres would be heaps.. but a couple of people have suggested 5-7!

Thoughts?

Six litres!!! Three litres will be more then enough, unless you will be pouring cups of milk for kids.

Personally i would get 3 litres of Full cream and two litres of Skim - you would be surprise how many people opt for skim if it is offered (I will drink my tea black before I have full cream).

We love milk in this house, with a big milk loving son we use up to, and sometimes more then 3 litres a day, costs me a fortune.

but a couple of people have suggested 5-7!

For 50 adults? That is the equivalent to a litre or more for every 10 people or 100ml per person. A mug of coffee will hold around 200-250ml. How much milk do you have in your coffee? I have half a teaspoon in mine, Hubby has none. I don't know anyone who has half the mug with milk, do you?

If it was me, I'd just buy 2 ltrs.

For 50 adults? That is the equivalent to a litre or more for every 10 people or 100ml per person. A mug of coffee will hold around 200-250ml. How much milk do you have in your coffee? I have half a teaspoon in mine, Hubby has none. I don't know anyone who has half the mug with milk, do you?

If it was me, I'd just buy 2 ltrs.

We always keep a litre of that UHT long life milk..how about buying a couple of them..in case.

Rob and I go thru 3L + of milk a week..mostly only for coffee.
I probably use close to 1/5 cup milk per cup.

you might also get some kids asking for a glass of milk.

always interesting on the planes as junior doesn't usually drink juice or fizzy, so asks for milk - so they give her a large handful of those little uht capsules (or have to find milk).

good point about having some skim. can't stand the stuff personally (full cream or nothing as skim might as well be nothing) but others can't live without it.

thanks everyone...

i think i will get 3 full cream, 1 skim. I know from experience most of this crowd dont like skim... as when i have brought it to functions before everyone has complained...

Do what professional caterers do.

Multiply the number of people likely to drink tea/coffee by the average ml of milk and voila! you have the amount.

It's always very amusing going to bbq's of people who are in the money business or some profession which uses maths on a daily basis, and they have overestimated the amount of food by mountainous amounts simply because they guessed rather than do the arithmetic. :rolleyes:

As an avid coffee drinker, here are my calculations:

I go through 6L in 7 days and make the equivalent of 4 cafe sized cups of coffee per day (approx 3/4 milk & 1/4 coffee). So this equates to 28 cafe sized cups of coffee

So 6L milk makes 28 cafe sized cups of coffee.

Back