CBA and ING lift fixed rates

Of course the make a profit, just less than on a variable rates. It's a simple retail transaction - buy money at a certain price, add a margin and then re-sell it.

Not like we havent been saying it for a while now
Cba below

Product
New Rate (p.a.)
Change
Assessment Rate
Comparison Rate

(p.a.)
(p.a.)
(p.a.)

Fixed Rates Home/Investment Home Loans

2 Year Fixed Rate
5.79%
+0.40%
7.14%
5.80%

3 Year Fixed Rate
6.19%
+0.44%
7.14%
5.92%

4 Year Fixed Rate
6.59%
+0.20%
7.14%
6.12%

5 Year Fixed Rate
6.84%
+0.45%
7.14%
6.30%

7 Year Fixed Rate
7.24%
+0.25%
7.24%
6.69%

10 Year Fixed Rate
7.39%
+0.40%
7.39%
7.05%

15 Year Fixed Rate
7.39%
+0.40%
7.39%
7.34%

Fixed Rates Home/Investment Home Loans (MAV)

2 Year Fixed Rate
5.64%
+0.40%
7.14%
5.64%

3 Year Fixed Rate
6.04%
+0.44%
7.14%
5.75%

4 Year Fixed Rate
6.44%
+0.20%
7.14%
5.93%

5 Year Fixed Rate
6.69%
+0.45%
7.14%
6.10%

7 Year Fixed Rate
7.09%
+0.25%
7.14%
6.47%

10 Year Fixed Rate
7.24%
+0.40%
7.24%
6.81%

15 Year Fixed Rate
7.24%
+0.40%
7.24%
7.07%

I just had a look on ING (as I am with them ) there fixed 2 year rate is 5.39% , if I am reading you post right you are saying it's 5.64 :confused:

am I missing something ?

Martin

I just spoke with CBA - and was advised that these new rates take effect on Tuesday.
So get in quick tomorrow if you decide to fix. I think I will be.

Hi Rolf
I have all my loans with CBA, I fixed one on Friday for 5 years at 6.24% & will fix another on Monday these 2 will be 50% of my borrowings. I am goign to gamble that the variable rates will stay low for another 18 months before reaching the 5 yr fixed rate.

I am curious of why CBA let it be known that they were going to raise the fixed rates. Its like they did it intentionally to get people to panic into locking in rates? Is it normal for them to announce tot eh brokers etc that the fixed rates willb e goign up.

Spud

Fixed 226k with CBA for 2 years for 5.24% .....will fix another 149k with Adelaide Bank for 5.59% tomorrow. That is about 40% of my loans.

Will wait to see what happens...after that! I want to ensure that I hedge my bets now....because interest rates do move fast...if you snooze you lose.:p

I'm just glad I locked one of my loans in for 4.99% for 3 years at the end of last year, I rememeber when I did it everyone was saying that they were going to go lower.

I thought....variable most likely fixed for 1 year...maybe but not for 3 years. our other loans are all variable but feel good about that call.

I think the minimum period should be 5 years as it will take one year before rates rise in the present climate. So 3 years is likely to come out in a high period. Case in Point: I fixed in 2003 at 6.19% for five and missed most of the rises. Presently 5% variable.

The drops we have seen are very rare and very likely to take a while to rise IMO. The real economy is still in trouble despite what some US banks are reporting. Remember the economy boomed in the US because house price rises allowed owners to use LOC to fund extravagent spending. Just like is AUS. That will not happen again quickly.

However all bets are guesses as we have handouts here and there and FHOG boosts unsetting the fundamentals.

Peter

i just heard on the news this morning - the presenter on sunrise was talking about "indicating from the banks that we've seen the lowest interest rates in this cycle"....and then some crap about them "being able to pass on all future rate cuts".

did i not say that was the case? cunning i may be, but the banks are worse.

you can be assured if you fix your rate, the bank will win, not you.. so better to remain variable, unless you need the 'insurance' of knowing what you are going to pay.

you can be assured if you fix your rate, the bank will win, not you.. so better to remain variable, unless you need the 'insurance' of knowing what you are going to pay.

Disagree. Historically we are major lows. Fix for ten years and you are 95% sure of winning. The banks know that, hence the higher rate. As well as insurance you also fix your costs when you go for the next IP.

Peter

The only thing I am worried about is my strategy in terms of risk management.

Fixing rates is all about risk management....the key is not to have all your rates expire at once. This is why I fix and stagger when my rates come off.

I have employed this strategy for the last 10 years and it works well.

I can't see the current low rates lasting forever as it is just like any cycle.

I fixed 40% of my loans yesterday and today. Another 30% is still under old fixed rates of 7.45% and 6.95% and will expire around middle of 2010. I am waiting as long as possible before I unfix these....if I time it right...with the fixed rates moving up the break costs will not be as hefty and I can still lock in at a good rate as the interest rates move up!!;)

Back