Cert IV in Building Construction

This hit my inbox today. What benefits would flow from doing this course?

I'm keen to know if this would help us to be allowed to take on renovations that involve work over the value where a builder and a contract should be sought (ie. our bathroom renovation cost us about $20K and we did it ourselves, paying our tiler, plumber, electrician separately, but and my understanding is that this really isn't allowed?)

Any ideas?

http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/bri...ampaign=step-into-training-services-718724441

Edit: Just read fine print and it seems a certificate in another area has to have been undertaken before doing this one. It seems a strange thing to be offered via one of these sites.

Hi wylie,

Excuse me for my ignorance BUT why wouldn't it be allowed seeing you payed licenced tradies to do your bathroom reno?

I'm in vic btw,so don't know briz,

Like to know if there's different states for plates :p

Cheers Spades.

I'm fairly sure that "any" renovation that would cost a certain amount ($11K?) if it was done by a builder cannot be done DIY, even if we do use licenced tradies to do the various components of the renovation.

Further to that, my understanding is that even if we can do that job for $10K, that if it would cost us more than $11K (whatever the actual figure is), we still technically should be hiring a builder.

It's been a long week and I'm now wondering if I need a good lie down?

Perp, where are you?

I'm sure cert IV would be beneficial as it would give you a better understanding of the building game. But its not enough to get a Builders Licence as you need a building trade or higher qualifications (in NSW this is the case).

Do this course and a trade and whatever on the job experience is necessary to get a builders licence and you'll never need to pay a builder again fo most jobs! If you're good it should take about five years:)

NB this is my opinion only and should not be taken as gospel.

I'm fairly sure that "any" renovation that would cost a certain amount ($11K?) if it was done by a builder cannot be done DIY, even if we do use licenced tradies to do the various components of the renovation.

Further to that, my understanding is that even if we can do that job for $10K, that if it would cost us more than $11K (whatever the actual figure is), we still technically should be hiring a builder.

It's been a long week and I'm now wondering if I need a good lie down?

Perp, where are you?
Ask yourself, ... Who's going to monitor this? The State govt's may have brought in the ruling, but how can they police it?

This rule has been around for a while in Qld and NSW from memory (not sure about other states). I've done several complete reno's in the past few years in NSW, Vic & Qld and just get on with it. If I do use a tradie, contracts never get mentioned. I must mention that I've been renovating properties on and off since the mid 1980's and I am a former tradesman painter, so I do have quite a bit of experience.

I can understand the contract scenario if you employ a builder or tradie to do the major share of the work to protect yourself, but otherwise it's doesn't appear to be a workable solution. How would the relevant bodies even be aware that you even are working on a property.

How many DIY'ers would even be aware of this rule, .... it's certainly not promoted on any of the home renovation TV shows (House Rules, The Block, The Loungeroom etc) or (home improvement stores like Bunnings, Masters, Mitre 10's etc).

I imagine a Cert IV could be useful in understanding the building construction process, but time may be better spent doing tiling, bricklaying, rendering, carpentry type short courses and just getting on with it.

Anyway ... just thought I'd throw if my two bob's worth .... best of luck which ever way you go.

Mystery

Ask yourself, ... Who's going to monitor this? The State govt's may have brought in the ruling, but how can they police it?

This rule has been around for a while in Qld and NSW from memory (not sure about other states). I've done several complete reno's in the past few years in NSW, Vic & Qld and just get on with it. If I do use a tradie, contracts never get mentioned. I must mention that I've been renovating properties on and off since the mid 1980's and I am a former tradesman painter, so I do have quite a bit of experience.

I can understand the contract scenario if you employ a builder or tradie to do the major share of the work to protect yourself, but otherwise it's doesn't appear to be a workable solution. How would the relevant bodies even be aware that you even are working on a property.

How many DIY'ers would even be aware of this rule, .... it's certainly not promoted on any of the home renovation TV shows (House Rules, The Block, The Loungeroom etc) or (home improvement stores like Bunnings, Masters, Mitre 10's etc).

I imagine a Cert IV could be useful in understanding the building construction process, but time may be better spent doing tiling, bricklaying, rendering, carpentry type short courses and just getting on with it.

Anyway ... just thought I'd throw if my two bob's worth .... best of luck which ever way you go.

Mystery

No one will know until something goes bad and you need insurance, or you sell the place and they ask for the permits to show it was done by a licensed builder.
If someone hurts themselves during the renovation, a pipe bursts and floods the place or there is structural damage your insurance won't cover it. You will be liable for the injury on your property carried out whilst illegal works was happening!

No one will know until something goes bad and you need insurance, or you sell the place and they ask for the permits to show it was done by a licensed builder.
If someone hurts themselves during the renovation, a pipe bursts and floods the place or there is structural damage your insurance won't cover it. You will be liable for the injury on your property carried out whilst illegal works was happening!
All of that, yes.

Plus your certifier is also risking his own registration if he signs off on work that wasn't performed by a licensed builder (including owner-builder). Also, only people with a builder's licence can buy QBCC warranty insurance, I believe, and you can only get certified with proof of QBCC warranty insurance. (Owner-builders excepted, but owner-builder's licences are only for PPORs anyway, not IPs.)

Doing illegal building works is dodgy and incredibly risky. It also infuriates me that people doing things legally - which is expensive, I know! - have to compete with people breaking the law who can do things more cheaply. It is unconscionable that the shows mentioned by mystery, and some "renovate for profit" spruikers, seem to encourage it. :mad:

In Queensland, the threshold is $11,000. In Victoria, it's $5,000 (so yes, mystery, includes Victoria). In NSW, it's only $1,000. Most states have similar requirements.

Mystery

Thanks for both replies. I've lost count of the renovations we've done to different houses over the past 30+ years. Most of those would have involved painting, new kitchen, new bathroom etc. Most would have fallen under whatever limit may have been in place (if any) at the time.

We have tiled ourselves (but wouldn't do it now that we can afford to pay a tiler) but all plumbing and electric is done by licenced tradies (even though hubby can do much of this himself, I won't let him). We are capable of most of the work involved, and have done this for years without knowing there was any dollar amount limit on what can be done. I'm unsure of when this limit came in, and am only aware of it via this forum (thanks Perp). It does make me stop and think when we tackle a job.

I'm thinking back to our own bathroom reno last year in our PPOR. We had a builder quote about $30K to gut the old bathroom, resheet the room, tile, plumb... basically we walk out of an old bathroom and two weeks later, we walk into a brand new one.

We didn't ask for such a quote, but that is what this chap gave us.

Instead, we gutted the room ourselves, hubby resheeted it, plumber roughed in, sparkie roughed in and installed underfloor heating after our tiler did his waterproofing. Tiler came back and laid the bed and tiled. Hubby installed the cupboards for linen and mirror cabinet pushed into the wall. Plumber did his fit off and electrician did the same. Shower glass man fit his screen.

Each portion of the job came to a couple of thousand at most, but the total for us came to $21K.

I worked out that by using cheaper fixtures it "could" have been about $11K but because we used an in-wall cistern, a stone bath (after reinforcing the floor), stone shelves in the wall niches etc, the total came to about $21K.

In this case, just for this one room, it seems we "should" have used a licenced builder. The one quote for $30K would have gone to $40K with our higher spec.

This is just madness. I understand it may be how the government wants it to be, but who is policing this stuff? Who even knows we put in a new bathroom? We didn't have to have it signed off by anyone.

I understand the need to protect whoever may buy our house from a shonky job, and who are we to say "we have done a professional job" but there are thousands of people doing this.

At about the same time, our son had a "professional" install his own bathroom. It was not done to code, admitted by the professional tradie who did the waterproofing/tiling, and leaked into the downstairs. Our son paid another professional to fix it and got the money to do so out of the first professional. How is that a better result?

My reason for asking about the Cert IV is that whilst we have done owner/builder before for our first major renovation, it is not as easy to do this now. We are thinking of doing a few larger renos on existing IPs and don't want to fall foul of any legal or insurance issues.

Doing illegal building works is dodgy and incredibly risky. It also infuriates me that people doing things legally - which is expensive, I know! - have to compete with people breaking the law who can do things more cheaply. It is unconscionable that the shows mentioned by mystery, and some "renovate for profit" spruikers, seem to encourage it. :mad:

In Queensland, the threshold is $11,000. In Victoria, it's $5,000 (so yes, mystery, includes Victoria). In NSW, it's only $1,000. Most states have similar requirements.

Just saw this Perp. Didn't realise you were posting whilst I was posting.

I agree that dodgy work is dodgy and dangerous. I also think these renovating shows (which I love) should be spelling out that doing something like this requires more than just buying a hammer and knocking out walls.

What I don't understand, as per my bathroom above, is that for us to pay professionals to do various parts of a job is apparently not allowed if the total would have come to more than $11K. I guess that means that nobody can paint their own house? I wonder if this is to protect builders and their livelihoods or to protect future homeowners from buying a house full of dodgy work?

I know people need protection from dodgy DIY and from dodgy builders and tradies, but there should be some sensible middle ground.

What I don't understand, as per my bathroom above, is that for us to pay professionals to do various parts of a job is apparently not allowed if the total would have come to more than $11K. I guess that means that nobody can paint their own house? I wonder if this is to protect builders and their livelihoods or to protect future homeowners from buying a house full of dodgy work?

I know people need protection from dodgy DIY and from dodgy builders and tradies, but there should be some sensible middle ground.
No, you couldn't paint your own house if the value of the job was over $11,000. I agree that's absurd. I wish they'd amend the legislation to allow some sensible middle ground.

What burns me is that, failing sensible amendment, most people just carry on and build illegally, and those who are more concerned with legalities - such as me - pay through the nose and are at an unfair competitive disadvantage.

I think the problem lies with poorly researched and implemented legislation by pollies/local/state Govt without adequate consultation on the impact of their decisions.

In this day and age $11,000 for work on any property is a ridiculously small amount. No consideration is taken for people like myself who is a qualified tradesman with 30 years solid renovating and small development experience.

Whenever I do decide to get a tradesman in on one of my projects, I generally find they do work that is inferior to my own as they don't have the same care factor.

Anyway .... you get the general drift .... I agree with Wylie and Perp comments above. Now I've had my gripe I'll go back to reading my book...:D

Mystery

Back