Changes to Trusts

I noticed on the tube tonight (ACA) that there are changes afoot to trusts. It seems that the moves are aimed at people (perhaps especially barristers) who are parking assets in trusts to avoind paying large amounts of tax.

The closest article I could find was [urlhttp://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/23/1085250868430.html[/url]

Apparently the proposed laws are aimed only at people who deliberately use bankruptcy to avoid paying debts- while they have big assets nin trusts.

I wonder though if there will be implications or further legislation which may take away some of the asset protection benefits of trusts from law abiding tax paying individuals.

Hi Geoff

My understanding is that a well planned approach to asset protection through a trust should not be under question for the honest people. Therefore, those people who have already started investing through a trust should be quite safe to continue doing so.

Dale

DaleGG said:
Hi Geoff

My understanding is that a well planned approach to asset protection through a trust should not be under question for the honest people. Therefore, those people who have already started investing through a trust should be quite safe to continue doing so.

Dale
Dale,

What do you mean by 'well planned' ? Surely Barristers etc who this legislation is aimed at will plan well.

Cheers,

KJ

Thanks Keith,

I missed that thread. Thanks for the pointer.

Dale,

I might be concerned about the person who could sue me personally- and then, because personal assets ere not enough to pay, I might have to get at the assets in my trusts. It may be considered a back door into the protection offered by btrusts.

It may be considered a back door into the protection offered by btrusts.

Dear Geoff,

Possibly. However time is an important factor in protection. Trusts are another fence around your house. Give me the extra fence anyday to buy extra time.

It is like payments from insurance companies. Delay the payment long enough and maybe the customer won't be around ask for it.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

geoffw said:
Dale,

I might be concerned about the person who could sue me personally- and then, because personal assets ere not enough to pay, I might have to get at the assets in my trusts. It may be considered a back door into the protection offered by btrusts.

Exactly, there is going to be no protection of anyones assets in a trust.
You can still park assets there but if you are sent bankrupt creditors will have access to your assets. Also any assets in your wifes name will be fair game as well.

All I can say is its about time. If you owe money pay up. :D

Smile said:
Exactly, there is going to be no protection of anyones assets in a trust.
You can still park assets there but if you are sent bankrupt creditors will have access to your assets. Also any assets in your wifes name will be fair game as well.

All I can say is its about time. If you owe money pay up. :D

Smile,

What I am concerned about is, that, if I have spent a lot of money and time to build assets to provide for my own future, I don't want a tenant who may have imbibed a little too much to damage him or herself, and then to have tha ability to get all of my assets from me- and to retire comfortably while I just manage to scrape by in my declining years.

I'm not a rich person trying to avoid paying tax- this legislation was aimed at barristers who have not paid tax for years- one barrister has not filed a tax return for 30+ years- and has declared bankruptcy a number of timers, while maintaining a good lifestyle.

I'm just trying to keep assets isolated from frivolous claims- and if I do lose one asset, at least I feel that, in the case of a suit against that property, I don't think it unfair that, even if I lose that property, that everything else I own is subject to litigation. That's the major advantage I see in trusts- even a good public liability insurance is no substitute against such actions (PLI is getting more expensive and difficult to get for some groups at least- and landlords are going to find a problem the way we are going),

Hi

I spoke to a partner in one of the bigger Insolvency firms (Grant Thornton)this morning about this issue.

In a nutshell, I was told, and I quote:

"There is little chance of the laws being passed by parliament at this stage. They were issued as an exposure draft for comments"

As an aside, the fellow is quite relaxed and found the ethics of the issue quite interesting. On one hand, he acknowledged that the new rules would be good for his business if they were to come in, but, on the other hand, he and his fellow partners would be horrorfied because it might affect their own asset protection!!

Cheers

Dale

Hi Geoffw
I totally agree with you on I'm just trying to keep assets isolated from frivolous claims
The problem is the "courts" awarding these claims. Unfortunately these claims are becoming more regular.

There is also the real problem, that this legislation is trying to minimize, which is the moving of assets to where they are protected. While the owner still enjoys all benefits from these assets as if they were his or hers (and they are.)

The creditors are left wondering why the system has failed them yet again.

Hey guys,

regarding asset protection on assets in trusts, doesn't using a Pty Ltd co as trustee of the trust make the assets safer? Say if someone sues Mr A, who is the director of a trustee co of his trust, is the asset still naked like a monkey's backside?
:confused:

Rodimus
If someone sues you personally and you happen to be a director of a trustee company the assets of the trust will still be protected.

changing trustee

I remember reading that in the event that the trustee is being litigated, one could change the trustee thsu leaving the trustee in control of effectively nothing.

My questions are about how easy it is to actually do that, especuially if the trustee has loans secured against the trust's assets.
Can one change the trustee without refiancing ?
i.e. changing the name on the mortgages.

I am not anywhere near such a situation, I'm reading "Going For Broke" all about Bond's wonderful structures and the questions popped into my head.

Does anyone have experience on this ?

Patosan said:
I remember reading that in the event that the trustee is being litigated, one could change the trustee thsu leaving the trustee in control of effectively nothing.

My questions are about how easy it is to actually do that, especuially if the trustee has loans secured against the trust's assets.
Can one change the trustee without refiancing ?
i.e. changing the name on the mortgages.

I am not anywhere near such a situation, I'm reading "Going For Broke" all about Bond's wonderful structures and the questions popped into my head.

Does anyone have experience on this ?

Pat

Do a search for threads with "trustee's right of indemnity". It isn't as simple as the gurus would have you believe to just change trustees and escape liability. The changing trustees bit is just and admin issue. The trustee and more crucially the trust assets escaping liability is not really possible if the trustee is sued for an act within the trustee's proper functions under the trust deed such as owning investment property.

Rather, the point is this:

1) if you get sued the trust assets are safe
2) if the trust gets sued, your assets and those of other trusts you control are safe.

That's asset protection.

Cheers
N.

qazwsx said:
What about having a corporate trustee?. Doesnt that give protection if the trust is sued?.

No. The trustee, whether one or more real people, or a company has a right to be indemnified out of the trust assets for liabilities it incurs in the proper conduct of its role as trustee of the trust established by the trust deed.

If the liability arises in the trustee's activities outside that role, eg Mr Smith as a trustee of the Smith Family trust slanders someone or gets into a fight or crashes his car into someone's living room etc...then the trust assets are safe (altho from an evidentiary perspective it would be much better if it was XYZ Pty Ltd which was the trustee then there'd be no factual argument about what assets belonged to whom...).

If someone trips and falls due to a loose step at one of the Smith Family trust's rental properties when the tenant had advised the property manager 3 times that it needed to be fixed and Mr Smith had just refused to fix it then all the assets of the Smith Family Trust will be at risk (eg if the trust owned 4 house and $50k worth of BHP shares - all could be sold to meet a judgment debt against Mr Smith as trustee of the SMith Family trust). The reason is that Mr Smith is entitled to be indemnified to keep him from being personally out of pocket by dipping into the trust assets, ie any cash there as well as selling any liquid or illiquid assets in the trust to meet the judgment against him.

The same argument applies if it is XYZ Pty Limited instead of Mr Smith. But the separation of legal ownership between Mr Smith's own assets (perhaps his family home, car, antique spoon collection ... :rolleyes: ) and his investment assets (which are in the trust) is helpful from a practical perspective.

Which is why, if you're serious about this whole wealth creation thing:

1) insurance is critical
2) my view is that one trust is not enough once your assets get to a certain level
3) truly passive assets like shares and managed funds should be in a separate trust from assets like investment property where there is potential to be sued due to things arising out of the asset itself
4) corporate trustees are a must
5) if you've got current IP's in your own name that's fine as long as they're geared to the hilt so that in reality the bank owns 90%+ and the funds are safely applied within your investment structure (altho note that 1) depending how you do this it may impact the ability to deduct interest you personally pay and 2) you cannot just stuff everything into a trust when the creditors are pounding at the door and expect them not to be clawed back by insolvency administrators... :D
6) professional advice is critical.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers
N.

NigelW said:
No. The trustee, whether one or more real people, or a company has a right to be indemnified out of the trust assets for liabilities it incurs in the proper conduct of its role as trustee of the trust established by the trust deed.

Hi Nigel,

Great post.. very informative.. many thanks.

If the Trust Deed was worded so that the Trustee did NOT have the right to be indemnified then would that secure things a little more effectively?

duncan_m said:
Hi Nigel,

Great post.. very informative.. many thanks.

If the Trust Deed was worded so that the Trustee did NOT have the right to be indemnified then would that secure things a little more effectively?

You're a crafty one aren't you Duncan! ;)

Without wanting to delve too deep into the legal mumbo jumbo, this is a really contentious area in some states. As an aside, it often comes as a shock to some people that there are areas of the law where either different answers to the same question can arise in different states or where there is in fact no definitive answer...

The starting point is that the trustee legislation in each state and territory gives trustees a statutory right of indemnity - ie this applies even if the trust deed didn't provide for this right.

The heart of the question then becomes twofold:

1) Can this statutory right of indemnity be switched off in the trust deed? Answer is that only in WA, Vic and Tas is that allowed under their respective trustee legislation.

2) Even if you're allowed to switch it off under the trustee legislation, is the trustee's right of indemnity actually impossible to switch off because it is so integral to the office of being a trustee? The answer here is, at the moment, yes in Victoria, but maybe not in WA and Tas (but based on NSW and Qld reasoning - gee gets confusing doesn't it! :confused: ).

But when a corporate trustee is involved the story doesn't end there... an innocuous little section of the Corporations Act can have BIG consequences for directors of trustee companies.

What section 197 says, in a nutshell, is that if a trustee company incurs a liability and loses its right of indemnity (due for example to it acting outside what the trust deed permits) then the directors of the trustee company are personally liable for the company's debts! Ie this is a complete reversal of the usual scenario of limited liability for shareholders and directors being liable, generally speaking, only for insolvent trading...

SO what this means in a nutshell is that you can't have a $2 company act as trustee of your trust, as a director get your trustee company to do something in breach of the trust deed and then seek to absolve both the trustee and yourself as director on the basis that: a) the company and not you as director is the party that has done wrong and b) the company can't use the trust's assets to reimburse itself because it's breached the trust deed. (Apparently that sort of despicable conduct became common in the 1970s and in the mid 80s the predecessor to section 197 was introduced to curb that conduct).

As another aside there's currently a big concern about the scope of section 197 due to a case in your home state. 2 out of the 3 foolish IMHO South Aus judges decided that it's not only where the right to indemnity is lost that s197 kicks in, but instead it operates where there is a right to indemnity but the trust assets are insufficient!!! :eek: Kind of defeats the whole purpose of using a company and trust really...and IMHO just wrong when you trace through the history of the section and the parliamentary statements about its purpose...

Having said all that, I still reckon trusts are GREAT! Just remember that they're not a cure for all ills. People need to remember that the law has evolved since Bondy etc...partly in fact due to Bond etc.

Cheers
N.

Reactions: Jas
NigelW said:
Having said all that, I still reckon trusts are GREAT! Just remember that they're not a cure for all ills. People need to remember that the law has evolved since Bondy etc...partly in fact due to Bond etc.

Gosh, what a fascinating insight into how complex the "Law" is! Thank-you for that excellent post.

I seem to recall Michael Croft (I think it was him) had a great approach that seems to sound better the more I hear it.. he set up "pods" of IP's in different trusts.. 4-5 IP's per trust (or something like that). As equity allowed Michael took one IP, put it into a Trust and used it to seed another 4-5 IP's within that Trust.. I hope I recall the idea correctly.

It seems like a great idea to spread the ownership around as many entities and trusts as one can (with one eye on the compliance/management costs of course).. With a range of Trusts and Trustees it seems the most inassailable complex of structures. Lumping all assets together in the same entity seems like folly.

Thanks again for some great posts Nigel!

Nigel thanks heaps for all that wonderful info ... some of which I'll have to read several more times to fully comprehend. It's times like times I feel my IQ is truly low.

I was originally interested with the issue of the trustee Co ( I forgot to mention it was a Co) having loans against the trust's assets and then us trying to quickly change the trustee Co. Indemnity aside for the moment can the trustee be easily changed without going thru the lender's red tape ?

Back