Charges for Executives of Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac..

Securities and Exchange Commission has charged six former Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac officials with misleading investors about risky loans

Introduction only:

The people who were running two mortgage giants when the housing bubble burst were formally accused today of civil fraud. The Securities and Exchange Commission filed a lawsuit naming six former executives at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

The six were accused of lying about how deeply Fannie and Freddie had invested in securities backed by risky home mortgages.

(Judy Woodruff)

Have put here in Property Market Economics, rather than Finance, mainly for it's relevance and more widespread (ongoing) repercussions..

And meanwhile, closer to home, there's this -

THE Rocks' most prominent tenant, Charif Kazal, tried to benefit his family through a corrupt secret deal struck with the second most senior government official previously in charge of the heritage area, Andrew Kelly.

The Independent Commission Against Corruption yesterday levelled corruption findings against both men, recommending they be considered for criminal charges, after the pair covertly pursued a venture in the Middle East designed to pay Mr Kelly up to $360,000 a year.

Gotta love the corruption that just goes on and on in NSW, don't you?

Last edited:
Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac..... the darlings of America. It has taken too long for any semblance of justice to be served. There is another big Foreclosure wave coming in the US as well, since many of the "new" foreclosure documents have just started to be put back through the courts. Indications are that it should start to bite hard again around March 2012. :(

As for corruption in Australia..... Ha! chump change! Anyone been following MF Global and Corzine's antics in front of various government committee hearing? 1.2 Billion of client funds..... poof! gone! Misappropriated..... :eek:

Yes, that is $1,200,000,000.... & this happened in a clearing house! If you don't know what that means, it is worse than Lehman Brothers back in 2008. The ripple could be huge as it is feared such actions are systemic within the industry. If so, that is the perfect financial storm......:(

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2011/12/15/corzine-gets-served-outside-capitol-hill-hearing/

BTW, Corzine is also a former Goldman Sachs CEO.... I can hear the alarm bells failing already. :rolleyes:

Indifference, you should read 'No One Would Listen' by Harry Markopolos. It's absolutely frightening.

I remember the name, Markopolos. He was the bloke that brought Madoff down.

This brief snippet gives a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHmnLxCroc

....Russian mafia being taken on a Ponzi Scheme :eek:

The SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) is akin to the ineptness and aloofness of DOCS (Dept Of Community Services) where no action is taken to protect the child until they are either dead or destroyed to such a degree by violence and sexual abuse that they may be beyond help.

Thanks for highlighting that title......another to add to my "to read" pile.

Indifference, you should read 'No One Would Listen' by Harry Markopolos. It's absolutely frightening.

I haven't read it (yet) although I am familiar with many of the details surrounding the issue. It is yet another clear example of the SEC's utter incompetence.

This is the concern with MF Global as many fear that such practices are systemic, which would imply the whole derivatives and securities markets are one big sham.... similar to a giant ponzi scheme.

Without continued growth, the financial markets collapse. Why? Why, do we NEED continued growth for the markets to function? ..... It is all based on exponential growth functions.... all of it. An exponential rate of growth becomes asymptotic with some point in time. It can not continue infinitely time, which is the x-axis, only infinitely in price which is the y-axis. This really is the heart of the problem. Have a look at the video below, it makes so much sense that it is utterly terrifying what we may be in the midst of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WBiTnBwSWc

Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac..... the darlings of America. It has taken too long for any semblance of justice to be served. There is another big Foreclosure wave coming in the US as well, since many of the "new" foreclosure documents have just started to be put back through the courts. Indications are that it should start to bite hard again around March 2012. :(

As for corruption in Australia..... Ha! chump change! Anyone been following MF Global and Corzine's antics in front of various government committee hearing? 1.2 Billion of client funds..... poof! gone! Misappropriated..... :eek:

Yes, that is $1,200,000,000.... & this happened in a clearing house! If you don't know what that means, it is worse than Lehman Brothers back in 2008. The ripple could be huge as it is feared such actions are systemic within the industry. If so, that is the perfect financial storm......:(

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2011/12/15/corzine-gets-served-outside-capitol-hill-hearing/

BTW, Corzine is also a former Goldman Sachs CEO.... I can hear the alarm bells failing already. :rolleyes:

The MF Global scandal is actually much worse than people think. Behold - I bring you infinite re-hypothecation.

http://newsandinsight.thomsonreuter...d_the_great_Wall_St_re-hypothecation_scandal/

First a quick recap. By now the story of MF Global’s demise is strikingly familiar. MF plowed money into an off-balance-sheet maneuver known as a repo, or sale and repurchase agreement. A repo involves a firm borrowing money and putting up assets as collateral, assets it promises to repurchase later. Repos are a common way for firms to generate money but are not normally off-balance sheet and are instead treated as “financing” under accountancy rules.

MF Global used a version of an off-balance-sheet repo called a "repo-to-maturity." The repo-to-maturity involved borrowing billions of dollars backed by huge sums of sovereign debt, all of which was due to expire at the same time as the loan itself. With the collateral and the loans becoming due simultaneously, MF Global was entitled to treat the transaction as a “sale” under U.S. GAAP. This allowed the firm to move $16.5 billion off its balance sheet, most of it debt from Italy, Spain, Belgium, Portugal and Ireland.

Backed by the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF), it was a clever bet (at least in theory) that certain Eurozone bonds would remain default free whilst yields would continue to grow. Ultimately, however, it proved to be MF Global’s downfall as margin calls and its high level of leverage sucked out capital from the firm. For more information on the repo used by MF Global please see Business Law Currents MF Global – Slayed by the Grim Repo?

Puzzling many, though, were the huge sums involved. How was MF Global able to “lose” $1.2 billion of its clients’ money and acquire a sovereign debt position of $6.3 billion – a position more than five times the firm’s book value, or net worth? The answer it seems lies in its exploitation of a loophole between UK and U.S. brokerage rules on the use of clients funds known as “re-hypothecation”.

By way of background, hypothecation is when a borrower pledges collateral to secure a debt. The borrower retains ownership of the collateral but is “hypothetically” controlled by the creditor, who has a right to seize possession if the borrower defaults.

In the U.S., this legal right takes the form of a lien and in the UK generally in the form of a legal charge. A simple example of a hypothecation is a mortgage, in which a borrower legally owns the home, but the bank holds a right to take possession of the property if the borrower should default.

In investment banking, assets deposited with a broker will be hypothecated such that a broker may sell securities if an investor fails to keep up credit payments or if the securities drop in value and the investor fails to respond to a margin call (a request for more capital).

Re-hypothecation occurs when a bank or broker re-uses collateral posted by clients, such as hedge funds, to back the broker’s own trades and borrowings. The practice of re-hypothecation runs into the trillions of dollars and is perfectly legal. It is justified by brokers on the basis that it is a capital efficient way of financing their operations much to the chagrin of hedge funds.

But in the UK, there is absolutely no statutory limit on the amount that can be re-hypothecated. In fact, brokers are free to re-hypothecate all and even more than the assets deposited by clients. Instead it is up to clients to negotiate a limit or prohibition on re-hypothecation. On the above example a UK broker could, and frequently would, re-hypothecate 100% of the pledged securities ($500).

This asymmetry of rules makes exploiting the more lax UK regime incredibly attractive to international brokerage firms such as MF Global or Lehman Brothers which can use European subsidiaries to create pools of funding for their U.S. operations, without the bother of complying with U.S. restrictions.

In fact this is exactly what Lehman Brothers did through Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (LBIE), an English subsidiary to which most U.S. hedge fund assets were transferred. Once transferred to the UK based company, assets were re-hypothecated many times over, meaning that when the debt carousel stopped, and Lehman Brothers collapsed, many U.S. funds found that their assets had simply vanished.

It is quite likely that MF Global is far from the only firm involved:

Fuelling hyper-hypothecation and joining together daisy chains of liability through the pledging and re-pledging of collateral have been banks around the world. Once in the system collateral is being pledged and re-pledged over and over again either through sale and repurchase agreements or re-hypothecation as demonstrated by a review of SEC filings. For instance, Goldman Sachsdisclosed recently that it had re-pledged $18.03 billion of collateral received as at September 2011, Oppenheimer Holdings re-pledged approximately $255.4 million of its own customers’ securities in the same period, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commercere-pledged $72 billion in client assets, Credit Suissesold or re-pledged CHF 332 billion of assets (received under resale agreements, securities lending and margined broker loans), Royal Bank of Canadare-pledged $53.8 billion of $126.7 billion available for re-pledging, Knight Capital Groupdelivered or re-pledged $1.17 billion of financial instruments received, Interactive Brokers re-pledged or re-sold $7.9 billion of $16.7 billion available to re-sell or re-pledge, Wells Fargo re-pledged $19.6 billion as at September 2011 of collateral received under resale agreements and securities borrowings, JP Morgansold or re-pledged $410 billion of collateral received under customer margin loans, derivative transactions, securities borrowed and reverse repurchase agreements and Morgan Stanley re-pledged $410 billion of securities received.

Even gold is not necessarily safe as people start squabbling on who actually owns said bars:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...rokerage-over-stored-gold-silver-bars-1-.html

I can see this causing a financial crisis in the commodities sector (MF Global was a big commodities broker).

That and the *Chinese* shadow banking system. Ah, shadow banking systems - everyone likes them on the way up as they allow extra leverage. And of course, asset prices never fall.

Even more hilarious is that despite the key role this played in the first GFC, Wall St managed to get repo excluded entirely from US financial sector "reforms", which just goes to show just how hollow they are.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2011/12/occupy-the-sec-nixes-repo-exclusions-in-the-volcker-rule.html

When people have asked me over the last couple of years why I expect more financial crises my reply is usually, "Has anything been fundamentally fixed?"

Last edited:
To add to gold and silver woes:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748703856804577098740322633760.html

It's one thing for $1.2 billion to vanish into thin air through a series of complex trades, the well-publicized phenomenon at bankrupt MF Global. It's something else for a bar of silver stashed in a vault to instantly shrink in size by more than 25%.

That, in essence, is what's happening to investors whose bars of silver and gold were held through accounts with MF Global.

The trustee overseeing the liquidation of the failed brokerage has proposed dumping all remaining customer assets—gold, silver, cash, options, futures and commodities—into a single pool that would pay customers only 72% of the value.

That has investors fuming. "Warehouse receipts, like gold bars, are our property, 100%," contends John Roe, a partner in BTR Trading, a Chicago futures-trading firm. He personally lost several hundred thousand dollars in investments via MF Global; his clients lost even more. "We are a unique class, and instead, the trustee is doing a radical redistribution of property," he says.

Roe and others point out that, unlike other MF Global customers, who held paper assets, those with warehouse receipts have claims on assets that still exist and can be readily identified.

The tussle has been obscured by former CEO Jon Corzine's appearances on Capitol Hill. But it's a burning issue for the Commodity Customer Coalition, a group that says it represents some 8,000 investors—many of them hedge funds—with exposure to MF Global...

At stake is an unspecified, but apparently large, volume of gold and silver bars slated for delivery to traders through accounts at MF Global, which filed for bankruptcy on Oct. 31. Adding insult to the injury: Of the 28% haircut, attorney and liquidation trustee James Giddens has frozen all asset classes, meaning that traders have sat helplessly as silver prices have dropped 31% since late August, and gold has fallen 16%. To boot, the traders are still being assessed fees for storage of the commodities.

This sort of thing is one of the reasons why I dumped my paper precious metals earlier this year (besides silver being in a bubble). Precious metals have been financially engineered just as much as anything else. However even I never realised that those with allocated gold/silver (with warehouse receipts of actual bars) were at risk. At worse I thought the paper gold/silver would be wiped out.

Infinite re-hypothecation baby!

I imagine the legal owner of these assets is going to be tangled up in the courts for a while.

The most hilarious thing is, this is the same thing that helped bring about GFC1 and the regulators knew it and they did absolutely nothing to fix it! Oh the hilarity!

Last edited:

I imagine the legal owner of these assets is going to be tangled up in the courts for a while.

The most hilarious thing is, this is the same thing that helped bring about GFC1 and the regulators knew it and they did absolutely nothing to fix it! Oh the hilarity!

The "legal owner" of these assets has lost them. That's the point. No amount of legal wrangling is likely to get many of the assets back....

As for the regulators, as I have said before, they are a sham. Why is it a corporation can rip people off to the tune of hundreds of millions or even billions, and only get a fine?!!! Whilst the little guy sits in a jail cell for exploiting some inside information? :mad:

I agree entirely about the paper markets, but think the biggest issue is in the PMs.... have a look at the entire derivatives market. One giant Ponzi waiting for a catalyst. MF Global could be that tipping point that brings the sham to Main Street, but it will take a while yet to realize the true fall out from their demise. Anyone that has taken the time to study the whole financial system, all the way from the peasants to the Central Banks and everywhere in between, knows that a massive multi-fronted market crunch is currently manifesting.

But alas, most are completely oblivious to what is happening right now.... the same social apathy existed in the late 1920's, as most look to the future with a belief in what has happened in the recent past being an indicative measure. Makes me think of a Cool Hand Luke quote (also in GnR's - Civil War):

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate,
Some men you just can't reach,
So you get what we had here last week,
Which is the way he wants it...,
Well, he gets it!
And I don't like it anymore than you men."

Quite a remarkable allegory of social conditioning....

The "legal owner" of these assets has lost them. That's the point. No amount of legal wrangling is likely to get many of the assets back....

As for the regulators, as I have said before, they are a sham. Why is it a corporation can rip people off to the tune of hundreds of millions or even billions, and only get a fine?!!! Whilst the little guy sits in a jail cell for exploiting some inside information? :mad:

Because you can't jail a corporation. And because these companies are simply too big to put the blame on an individual and jail them. That is why corporate ***-covering exists.

Backed by the European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF), it was a clever bet (at least in theory) that certain Eurozone bonds would remain default free whilst yields would continue to grow. Ultimately, however, it proved to be MF Global’s downfall as margin calls and its high level of leverage sucked out capital from the firm. For more information on the repo used by MF Global please see Business Law Currents MF Global – Slayed by the Grim Repo?

Why would you buy bonds if you expected their yield to continue growing?

Wouldn't you be better off waiting for the price to stop dropping if you had such insights?

I suspect they did not expect the yields to continue to grow and prices to continue to fall and simply got it wrong on this count.

If holding them while the price dropped on open markets was all part of the plan then no wonder they came acropper.

Thanks for that link, was looking it up a while ago and got side tracked.

I remember the name, Markopolos. He was the bloke that brought Madoff down.

This brief snippet gives a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEHmnLxCroc

....Russian mafia being taken on a Ponzi Scheme :eek:

The SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) is akin to the ineptness and aloofness of DOCS (Dept Of Community Services) where no action is taken to protect the child until they are either dead or destroyed to such a degree by violence and sexual abuse that they may be beyond help.

Thanks for highlighting that title......another to add to my "to read" pile.

Why would you buy bonds if you expected their yield to continue growing?

Wouldn't you be better off waiting for the price to stop dropping if you had such insights?

I suspect they did not expect the yields to continue to grow and prices to continue to fall and simply got it wrong on this count.

If holding them while the price dropped on open markets was all part of the plan then no wonder they came acropper.

As far as I understand, Corzine's money making plan was to borrow money using the companies (and perhaps customer's) money at a relatively low interest rate using repo-ing and then using the interest rate differential between his borrowing costs (based on the credit rating of MF Global) and the yield he would get from the European bonds. Hence as the yields go up, he would buy more bonds and get a higher profit. I assume that the profit from this was expected to be greater than the loss due to the drop in bond price in his existing bond holdings.

Of course the reason why the bonds have high yields is because of risk of default so he was betting that the ECB would prevent any defaults. It is also possible that he was betting that eventually the ECB would bail out the countries, bringing the bond yields down and prices back up which would negate his losses in the bond price while allowing him to make lots of money in the meantime by holding the higher yielding bonds.

Of course the greater profit relies on heavy leverage. MF Global was able to get to that leverage because the repo-to-maturity loop-hole meant that officially speaking those risky trades were off-the-book. Being highly leveraged also means that increased borrowing costs (say from a credit downgrade) or margin calls could bring down the whole edifice. It requires both good risk management and also very deep pockets to handle that sort of leverage, which apparently MF Global did not have.

The whole mess and possible dominoes falling comes about from the re-hypothecation which means that the ownership of the actual assets MF Global pledged is under dispute, probably amongst multiple parties who all have it "on the book". This was the same mess that Lehmann Brothers got into that caused GFC1. Yes, our great leaders have spent the last 3 years studiously *not* fixing this.

Then there is the *other* mess of MF Global using customer's money which could eventually cause commodity brokers to pull out due to lack of trust. One suggestion I've heard is that it may not have been technically illegal for MF Global to use customer's money which could lead to Corzine getting off on a technicality. Why? Brokers like MF Global are legally allowed to invest the customer's assets in supposedly safe assets like sovereign bonds for liquidity purposes. Also customers may have signed documents where the fine print says sure you can send this to our subsidary in London where it will be re-poed (lots of people don't read fine print or don't realise exactly what is going on). I guess it depends on the wording of the rules and contracts. There is a pretty good chance that even if his political buddies don't get him off, he may may be found legitimately not-guilty in any court of law.

BTW at one stage Obama wanted to make Corzine Treasury Secretary. When I saw he has high friends, I mean that. If appointing proteges of Rubin (reponsible for the deregulation that caused this whole mess) wasn't enough to convince people about Obama's bad judgment, I think that seals the deal.

One thing I find hilarious about MF Global is that it is leading the GOP into a great dilemma. Lots of the customers ripped off were farmers. Now they are torn between the Wall St lobby and the Agricultural Lobby. I guess it comes down to who gives them the most $$$.

whew all this makes me so glad most of my $$ is in something solid like housing :)
The banks cant repo that can they? i know they can sell the mortgage but surely unoess i default they cant take the place.
Just got to watch out for nigerian scammers selling them while overseas!!

smallbuyer

whew all this makes me so glad most of my $$ is in something solid like housing :)
The banks cant repo that can they? i know they can sell the mortgage but surely unoess i default they cant take the place.

smallbuyer

You "should" be OK in Australia, but this is exactly what happened in the US. Houses that didn't even have a mortgage, were foreclosed!..... :eek: This was part of the robo-signing scandal that Freddie, Fannie and others were/are embroiled in.

Truly sobering stuff.... just don't say never or 'cant' because the big boys have been getting away with systemic fraud. :mad: Australia is fortunate to have some semblance of credible market controls that prevents many of the idiotic things I see happening here in the USA.

smallbuyer

30-40% of the banks' offshore credit funds has effectively dried up... the rest of the world is entering a period of deleveraging, credit is drying up and becoming more expensive. Do you think our banks are immune to it when they fund 30-40% of their books offshore?

This article has some interesting quotes from Ralph Norris... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10773580

Interesting to me, maybe of interest to others, Tim Cavanaugh's article, (columnist Reason.com), re/ USA:

4.1 percent drop in the total wealth of Americans

Excerpt only:

Decline In Household Net Worth Still Follows $8-Trillion Constant

Tim Cavanaugh | December 20, 2011

As I noted briefly yesterday, the Federal Reserve’s Flow of Funds report for the third quarter [pdf] came out last week, and showed a stunning but not unprecedented 4.1 percent drop in the total wealth of Americans between the second and third quarters.

Even more striking is that this was the second quarter in a row of lost household net worth, which had been growing sporadically since hitting a trough in the beginning of 2009. If you factor in actual devaluation of the dollar and backfill inflation for the peak figure reached in the third quarter 2007, however, you get back to a phenomenon I have been tracking for several years– household net worth has basically been moving sideways since the real estate correction began.

..see rest of article

Back