cheap ways to add value

Just got a new ip, and this one is a freestanding house.

What are some great bang for buck value adds I can do to get some nice equity out of the property. nothing too large. but looking for value here

pending condition of existing property.

paint usually good start, pretty cheap if DIY

carpets/floor boards pending condition of existing.

Painting and flooring (depending on current state of existing) are likely to give most bang for your buck.

Landscaping (tidying up the yard) can also be done cheaply.

Cheers

Jamie

Paint, carpet, blinds.

Also, door handles can make a bigger difference than some might think. For cupboards and actual doors. Cheap and can modernise it all well.

Paint, carpet, blinds.

Also, door handles can make a bigger difference than some might think. For cupboards and actual doors. Cheap and can modernise it all well.

+1 on this especially for the kitchen. Putting modern handles on a newly painted older style kitchen can make it look like a whole new kitchen.

ce082df0db93f7809c4ae4e3d308092b.jpg

Painting, floor coverings, blinds & door handles are all definitely worth doing if the property is a bit dated or run down.. a few things you could cosider if the property doesn't have them are:

Air conditioning
Garage or Shed
Deck or Patio
Security screens (depending on the suburb, I would only do this in cheap areas)

I know these arn't as cheap but they can give a great return if the property is missing any of these

I would agree with the suggestions above - it does depend on what you are starting with.

My order would be :

- repairs where needed.
- painting (inside and maybe outside).
- flooring.
- lights and switches.
- landscaping (clearing the yard).
- built-in wardrobes
- window covering.

Amazing what a new coat of paint can do.. For a 3bed townhouse I did last weekend I spent $250 tops for the paint and materials (putty and sandpaper to fix up the holes/grooves). Looks great now.

Second biggest (low $) improvement would have been the bark mulch spread over the gardens for $100. It went from looking like the moon with a few scattered plants, to a lush oasis.

$1.50 for a 2.5litre bottle of bleach from Aldi to get rid of the mould in the grout (kitchen/bathroom). Nice and bright white now.

New floor coverings make a massive difference, but they're not exactly cheap.

Hi r3ckless,

Go for street appeal if you're going for a reval. I believe this is one of the first places to spend money when looking for value add. Here are a few pics from some clients of mine. Very simple but added good value in conjunction with internal upgrades.

Before
Old_Castle_Hill_Rd_exterior_-_BEFORE_Big.png

After
Old_Castle_Hill_Rd_exterior_-_AFTER_Big.png

Before
Lake%20Macquarie%20Exterior%20-%20BEFORE%20big.jpg

After
Lake%20Macquarie%20Exterior%20-%20AFTER%20biga.jpg

Before
House%20reno2%20-%20BEFORE_Big.jpg

After
(I'm limited to attaching 5 images per post. After photo here... http://hotspaceconsultants.com/sneak-peak/42-station-lake-road)

Another great way to add value is to open up spaces - remove walls between rooms eg kitchen and dining/lounge etc. People love this (especially families - if they are your target market).

I agree updating kitchen and bathrooms adds value but a blanket statement to update these I'm sure is rather unhelpful! There are some great, relatively easy ways to update kitchens and bathrooms, including resurfacing products, new splash-backs, handles, vanity etc (depending on room). It's easy to strip a room and start again (if you have a lazy $8-$10k hanging around for your bathroom and $10-$15k for a new kitchen!) but not everyone has the money - or the type of property that warrants that kind of spend.

I hope that gives you a bit of inspiration!

Also be careful not to exceed market cap in the area.
Ie if you spend 5K on Reno's and expect 10K in return the property needs to be able to sell for an extra 10k(or at least valued there)

Everyone's pretty much covered most things. I painted the porch with concrete paint and the back steps. Made it look a lot better, totally different actually. Try to keep a common paint theme throughout if making changes.

+1 for zimby's comments also.

What are people's thoughts on Rendering as a value ad? Paying a professional do you think it would be a ROI?

I think there's a perception out there that any rendering is a good value add. However, I believe each property should be assessed individually as to whether it will work for them or not.

One of the first things I look at is whether there are other rendered houses in the suburb if the majority of dwellings are brick. If the suburb is full of un-renovated brick homes on similar land size, similar specs, then I don't believe rendering will add much more value than what you spend.

However, if you render a house which is in a suburb where there are a variety of house styles - and you do it well (together with new balustrades, landscaping, perhaps painting roof etc) then it can make a huge difference.

Seldom does rendering on it's own look any good. I think there needs to be some trim and decorative changes at the same time. These don't need to be expensive, they just need to be clever; and suit the style of the house. The problem often arises when you have old style anodized window frames which can't be replaced because of budget.

Here are some before and after photos from a client of mine in Sydney...

Before
White_Cedar_Exterior_-_BEFORE_Big.jpg

After
White_Cedar_Exterior_-_AFTER_Big.png

Now, on the other hand its good to know that rendering is not always necessary. I have designed plenty of renovations where the client originally thought they wanted to render but it didn't make sense financially - so we made a few clever tweaks to improve the look of the exterior. Here are a few pictures from one of my clients...

Before
Yvonne%20Cres%20house%20-%20BEFORE_Big.jpg

After
Yvonne%20Cres%20house%20-%20AFTER_Big.png

Back