Cheapest Paving Option....

Hello all,

Fixing up an old house (newbie) and there is a small side lane way to the side of the garage (3m X 1m) - none of us go that side. It had massive bushes/weeds etc which I got rid of.

Regular maintaining is out of question since its right on the opp edge.

Was thinking of putting some weeding mat and some paving stones and solving the issue forever.

Whats a cheap paving stone available? I am in Epping, melbourne and all I could find was those little red paving bricks (80-90 cent per piece) in bunnings?

Are those durable/good option? I dont want to be changing broken/cracked bricks every 6 months or so.

Any other places around North Melbourne which might offer me a good option?

Here's a link.....with 1000 FREE bricks available in Sunbury. You may need a ute to shift them. Believe me, the freebie section of gumtree is worth watching. This sort of thing happens often when houses are demolished. If you don't like the color, you can always paint them with paving paint.

http://melbourne.gumtree.com.au/c-Stuff-for-Sale-tools-DIY-Bricks-W0QQAdIdZ265934433

Cheap, free.........my favourite words.

Checked after an hour of your posting and it was gone already!!

If one doesnt lAy some sand before laying the pavers is that an issue?? Wont be walked on much.

Last edited:
My local tip has a house lot of beautiful white brick right now , maybe more. Loosely it looks like about 5 or 6 truckloads , clean and everything.
I really want them but the trouble is the only place I can store them is on a block 110k away.
I can get the bricks for free or close but the loading and cartage will hurt right now as we're in the middle of hopefully buying our own new place.

It's killing me to see them sitting there.

Also check out freecycle - there'll be one specific to your local area of melbourne - we got rid of a lot of stuff when we moved from Canberra and have also picked up a bunch of bits and pieces here in Brisbane.

It's killing me to see them sitting there.
SIL had lots of bricks leftover from building a new house. FIL wanted to go take them all and stockpile them in his shed (his shed is like a treasure trove, doesn't matter what you need, he's got it squirrelled away) but she sent them to the tip before he got more than a ute's load worth.

Utes are so handy ... I should swap my corolla for an old hilux ...

Ahh that's funny r e . Probably how my block will end up if I'm not careful.
Don't worry I've thought of the trailer. Solid heavy bricks though these, not the hollowed type, so maybe 2 or 3 layers high on trailer max x 20 bucks a trip x about 100 trips :confused: I just can't make it work. Wish they were closer .

all I could find was those little red paving bricks (80-90 cent per piece) in bunnings?
Are those durable/good option? I dont want to be changing broken/cracked bricks every 6 months or so.
I've used them before, they are easy to lay and cut.
They are fine for a footpath but I wouldn't use them for car traffic.

Lilydale toppings are good, just put them down, tamp them down, then water and it forms a crusty surface, saves all the hard word of laying bricks. Also you can buy recycled concrete which is crushed to make the same surface

Whats the difference between "Decomposed Granite", "Lilydale toppings"?

Are these crushed little stones?

Is there cement mixed in these which sets by watering??

Also, Road base - is it needed for base for such layout? Why is road base used?

Hope someone here knows a thing or two about these? Thanks in advance.

Bunnings have concrete pavers. They're either 500 x 500 or 600 x 600. Cheap, quick and easy to lay. Get the ground sort of smooth, throw down a couple of bags of sand. Easy.

Pour a slab.... @ $170 per cubic meter thats about 8 sqm of cement in an area like that...

So if you need to lay 8sqm you can congrete it from a truck for $170.

Back