cheques

If you have an account held jointly, do you need to write out cheques to both account holders?
I just received a cheque, made out to me only. My husband went to deposit it into our account and ANZ wont accept it without it being made out to both of us.
I think that's crazy... people must regularly get cheques made out to just one person.
A cheque withdrawing money from our account can be signed by just one of us..... but we need both of us on the cheque to make a deposit!!!!!! :mad:

If you have an account held jointly, do you need to write out cheques to both account holders?
I just received a cheque, made out to me only. My husband went to deposit it into our account and ANZ wont accept it without it being made out to both of us.
I think that's crazy... people must regularly get cheques made out to just one person.
A cheque withdrawing money from our account can be signed by just one of us..... but we need both of us on the cheque to make a deposit!!!!!! :mad:

blue bank strikes again :)

I regularly deposit cheques made out to me into an account in our two names.

Perhaps if you deposit, rather than him, it might work? Yes, this would be ridiculous, but worth a crack.

Gosh if cheques to our business had to be made out absolutely correctly, I would never get paid.

Honestly I have banked cheques with barely recognisable scribble and the bank accepts them.

I agree try another branch.

I hate cheques.. but that's besides the point.
I have banked many cheques on behalf of my husband and cheques to myself to a joint account with both our names.
One time I was told that I cannot bank it, I said really check the joint names on the account and he quickly apologised.

That's ridiculous. The account is in both names. You both can get cheques.

I've found the opposite. My account is in my official name. I've shortened my name to Lynne and at work they still don't know how I spell my name. When they give me cheques with Lyn on them no-one ever questions it.

Are you sure he went to ANZ bank? The only time I've been knocked back is trying to bank a chq in hubbies name through a post office.

Have banked my Mrs. cheques into our joint account a few times, no problems.

Maybe was just a silly bankteller?

he asked the manager as well.... same response.
I cant see how it makes any sense. He can withdraw all the money in the account without my signature, but cant deposit money!

he asked the manager as well.... same response.
I cant see how it makes any sense. He can withdraw all the money in the account without my signature, but cant deposit money!

Its for security. If you cant put any money into your account, then you cant have it stolen via internet banking "your account has been limited" email phishing scams!

I can see how it does make sense.

Say you and husband are in process of splitting up, and mrs received a cheque for work or what ever reason. Husbands intercepts cheque in post and figures he can access half/all the money so deposits in joint bank account so he can make withdrawl on it once it is passed.

If cheque is in your name, your the one that has to deposit in joint acct because you can sign off to readdress the cheque to multiple names including yourself, because it was originally signed to your name first. I have had to readdress a cheque before, because of rental tenancies act receiving the money back and the cheque was in two names, but we were just flatmates and never shared a bank account, so basically i signed my name off the cheque so to speak to get it deposited into my flatmates account.
Hope that made sense.

I can see how it does make sense.

Say you and husband are in process of splitting up, and mrs received a cheque for work or what ever reason. Husbands intercepts cheque in post and figures he can access half/all the money so deposits in joint bank account so he can make withdrawl on it once it is passed.

I can see how that would make sense if we both needed to sign to access the account. But since only one or other of us needs to sign, it doesnt really make sense. He could take all the money anyway.
But I'll go to the branch myself and try to deposit it and see what they say

We have our building supers deposit cheques into our personal bank account all the time.
Never had a problem.

We had a funny (?!?) thing happen a couple of weeks ago.
A tenant who was moving,because she bought a house, wanted to use her bond to pay her remaining rent. We said no. She informed us the cheque she wrote would bounce if cashed 1 May.
We waited until 4 May, which we was a Friday, and figured it may be her payday. We drove to her bank and ask if it would clear. After taking our ID, and checking the computer, they gave us the cash.
A week later, this bank manger called us and wanted the money back, because the tenant says she had put a 'stop payment' on the cheque. We asked the BM what more could we do than go to the tenants bank branch, provide ID, and be informed the cheque cleared. He replied he was going to need to speak to his legal department. We asked for the banks ombudsmen phone number.
We contacted the ombudsmen, provided the info, and they asked us if it turned out the bank had mistaking provided the funds, when they shouldn't have (because of a stop payment) would we return it. We said no, as we were depositing money we were legally entitiled to.
A couple of days later the BM called us and stated the tenant had put a stop payment on the cheque 20 April (which was 2 days after we told her she couldn't use the bond as rent) and for some reason (I think they are lying) the stop payment didn't show up in the system, and the bank would absorb the $750 loss.

So far, this has happened on 2 occassions, at 2 different banks.

Back