Child Care Centres, what would you prefer

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time positing.

I have created this post to get the opinions of readers on this forum as to what they would prefer.

I intend to build a child care centre in excess of 200 children. This far above the maximum for the local council but after talks they are willing to disregard that control in their DCP due to the shortage of child care places in the area.

My question for you is if you lived in the street where there was a proposed child care centre, would you prefer to have been approached by the developer prior to receiving the notification from council?

Under normal circumstances I usually don?t speak to neighbours as we meet council requirements and any complaints are the usual with no basis and council approves the centre. However, as this is much larger than normal I don?t know how neighbours will react if they get a letter in the mail without any forewarning. I know they won?t be too happy but I want to avoid petitions, complaints to talk back radio and the worst a special segment on a current affair?

I would not usually build a centre of this size if it would detrimentally affect the neighbours but seeing as the site is on a corner and no play area?s will back onto anyone?s property I feel the only real basis to knock back such a large centre would be traffic.

In summary if you were a neighbour would you prefer to be approached by someone prior to getting the letter from council?

Thanks!

I'd prefer to be informed prior so I could get myself and the neighbors prepared for a battle. 200 kids is insane for a suburban street!

As a parent I wouldn't send my kids to a centre that large. Infection control would be my biggest concern. Not to mention trying to get a car spot close to the centre entrance to pick my kids up.

Back on topic, how do you see it an advantage to you in speaking to the neighbors first? I can't see that they would be happy with it so I'd say just wait for the DA for them to find out.

I'd prefer to be informed prior so I could get myself and the neighbors prepared for a battle. 200 kids is insane for a suburban street!

As a parent I wouldn't send my kids to a centre that large. Infection control would be my biggest concern. Not to mention trying to get a car spot close to the centre entrance to pick my kids up.

Back on topic, how do you see it an advantage to you in speaking to the neighbors first? I can't see that they would be happy with it so I'd say just wait for the DA for them to find out.

Thanks for that, here are some answers.

With a centre of this size the fee's charged from the operator would be 30%-40% cheaper than any competing centre in a 3km radius which would make it very easy to fill. These savings would far outweigh the negative stigma towards large centres.

The centre would be split into two with two entrances on either street (site is on the corner). It would sort of be a duplex child care centre. There is approximately a 100m in total of frontages for curb side reserved drop off and pick up during certain hours.

The advantage of speaking to neighbours first is that I can answer a lot of questions. Your average Joe doesn't have time to read a 120 page traffic report, understand floor plans or the DA. They just see 200 and panic, with me speaking to them before they get a surprise letter from council it can reduce the backlash that would arise.

Even with siblings, 200 kid child care centre would mean around 150 cars a day dropping off and picking up (assuming staff parking on site). Would make a huge difference in a formerly quiet residential area.

100m drop off length only equals around 15+ cars at any one time, which is not much for a centre of that size. By the time you get the child out of the car seat, take inside, sign in, settle the child, get back in the car, each car is parked for over 15 minutes (minimum).

I have a friend who lives near a small centre. Parents in a hurry park anywhere, over driveways and illegally. Their excuse? "We are only in there for a few minutes". Tell that to someone who needs to leave their property and has a huge 4WD parked over the driveway.

Just don't expect neighbours to be happy.

Marg

Traffic Nightmare!

It's going to be worse in the afternoon/evening as well -- we have a small childcare centre on our street (all the way down the other end thankfully!) and in the evening when I have to drive past it to reach our house because the cars are so focused on getting a parking spot I have to be doubly aware of stupid risks the drivers may take (some examples... i was driving straight and almost had a car turn into me as they wanted to turn into the driveway, cars stopping in the middle of the street blocking traffic in all directions etc).

Approaching the neighbours will be helpful if you can answer their traffic related questions.

Also, as someone who works in the child and family industry even if you have cheap fees if the parents are at all cluey you may have difficulty filling your spots. It's not just disease but quality vs. quantity. Even with high ratios of staff/children you will have difficulty giving personalised attention to children which is what many parents are wanting in a centre.

The advantage of speaking to neighbours first is that I can answer a lot of questions. Your average Joe doesn't have time to read a 120 page traffic report, understand floor plans or the DA. They just see 200 and panic, with me speaking to them before they get a surprise letter from council it can reduce the backlash that would arise.

I thought councils had to legally do this if approving something outside of normal local DP regulations.

I intend to build a child care centre in excess of 200 children. This far above the maximum for the local council but after talks they are willing to disregard that control in their DCP due to the shortage of child care places in the area.

Back