City of JOONDALUP rezoning (Perth) Multi units

With all the rage on multi-unit developments, has the cost to build them gone up?

What the typical turnkey build price nowadays for them?

Lots of houses for rent in Padbury Grow, I suppose Craigie will be the same? I haven't seen that many places for rent in the three years since we bought, glad I moved in and not trying to rent it out, although the asking rents couldn't be called cheap.

With all the rage on multi-unit developments, has the cost to build them gone up?

What the typical turnkey build price nowadays for them?

Yes wealth i am interested to know as well. I guess it would probably depend on $ sqm at a certain quality...

I have 3 trains of thoughts on this:

Prices go down: builders who are doing this are now getting better at estimating their prices and don't have to factor in so much risk money. They have known prices/schedules/risks to work to. Previously I'm sure there would have been a lot of educated guess work. Their crews are also becoming more used to this style of building

Prices go up: this is the fashion perspective. Anything popular becomes more profitable as everyone wants it.

Prices stay same: around $2000/sqm which for mid spec. I'm expecting this - brick laying prices are highish at the moment but I think the experience gained in this area is helping pricing.

I still use $2000/sqm when doing due diligence for multi units which are 2 storey.

Off topic I know, but can someone remind of the standard brick course height in WA on a standard brick construction, I cannot find it in on Google and 14 courses is ringing a bell with 18 being much preferable? :confused:

Off topic I know, but can someone remind of the standard brick course height in WA on a standard brick construction, I cannot find it in on Google and 14 courses is ringing a bell with 18 being much preferable? :confused:

28 is standard and minimum. In villas I increase that to 31 for living areas. For apartments it would be good to do 30-32 to help them look bigger.

Thanks Westminster, dunno where I got 14 from, dolls house maybe. LOL. When I built the new house, my previous PPOR, I had the front rooms at, it must have been 32, then reduced it for the rest of the house but I think it was a mistake to reduce, of course, I can't remember now how much extra that was. I am meeting the GF guy and want to make the whole thing, so 70 sm 31 or 32 or at least explore it. Thanks again :)

Specifying by brick courses is so very odd- what if its not a brick house? and how is it measured if you have timber floors- from where the bricks start or from where the finished floor level will be?

Why isn't it just specified as ceiling height (i.e. 2100, 2400, 2700mm)?

Specifying by brick courses is so very odd- what if its not a brick house? and how is it measured if you have timber floors- from where the bricks start or from where the finished floor level will be?

Haha welcome to WA and the weird and non-nonsensical building customs we have here.

Cos this is Perth and perth people are allergic (think anaphylactic shock!) to anything that is not brick. It's a rather stupid system but we are used to it, ie heights for something are odd numbers like 2657 which is 30 courses of 76mm high bricks plus 10mm mortar for each course except the top one.

All our windows are built to brick heights and widths - ie 5 bricks across and 16 bricks high.

If you want to put 19mm timber floors on such a house they usually drop/inset the concrete pad so that finished floor level is even with tiling/carpet. Then 28 plus courses above that.

Yep, even though i have an open mind and willing to try new things i still cannot buy or build anything that is not double brick.

Apartments at 31c look good since it gives it volume plus its also mandatory? to add a few more courses above 28c due to the plumbing work in bathroom/laundry for the unit above and also A/C vents.

Yep, even though i have an open mind and willing to try new things i still cannot buy or build anything that is not double brick.

Apartments at 31c look good since it gives it volume plus its also mandatory? to add a few more courses above 28c due to the plumbing work in bathroom/laundry for the unit above and also A/C vents.

by definition you probably dont have an open mind if that is the case...

Assessment of the Viability of Different Development Types

In terms of weighing up the feasibility of developing under various scenarios, I came across this study commissioned by the City of Stirling which compares the costs and returns of developing various typologies. Interesting stuff. It was done last year, and relates specifically to Stirling, but some of the cost comparisons (and what to consider) as well as the discussion of these, is interesting.

http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/Resident/Planning-and-development/Projects/Local%20Planning%20Strategy/Assessment%20of%20the%20Viability%20of%20Density%20Increases%20in%20Suburbs%20and%20Activity%20Centres.pdf

if it's framed or modular construction, you use mm preferably around course heights - so 2143 (25c) would be rounded to 2100mm, 2400 (28c) would remain, 2657-2743 (31-32c) would be rounded to 2700mm etc.

Off topic again but just a query. I saw the designer for the granny flat and he virtually said it would push the price up considerably to increase the size of the bathroom, as I want to put a claw foot bath in it. Seeing he is just tweaking an existing plan is that right? I would have thought it doesn't make much difference, seeing he is already changing the existing plan from three bed to two? I accept that the 32 course height, wider doorways, hobless shower etc push the price up but a bigger bathroom? Apart from additional tiling of course.

What is your reasoning behind this aversion to anything but double brick?

Back