Claiming new construction interest and FHOG & stamp duty exemption [NSW]

Hi,

I am building a new construction home and setup the loan as interest only which estimated completion by June. And i have submit form to claim duty exemption and FHOG

Question:
1. Can i claim this interest for tax deduction purpose from start of the construction until completion given the fact that I am claiming duty exemption and FHOG? Once it is completed I will use it as PPOR.
2. Will this violate my duty exemption and FHOG if I claim interest during construction (even this is allowed)? I assume it is not as the rule is to live there 6 mths continuous in first 12 months?

Thanks,

BM

what if
1. I make it as investment after 6 month of living there? Can i claim deduction on interest of construction?
2. Otherwise the first 6 months I rent it out then after 6 months I live there as PPOR to satisfy FHOG requirement. Can I claim tax deduction on this? as 6 months construction + 6 months rent out

In fact how does ATO classified whether it is investment or PPOR?

To get fhbg you must move in at the firdt opportunity & within first 12 months. So by leasing the house before you move in is a breach of the grant conditions.

ATO & Office of Fair Trading might actually share information (funny that).

If you rent it prior to moving in then cgt will apply.

To get fhbg you must move in at the firdt opportunity & within first 12 months. So by leasing the house before you move in is a breach of the grant conditions.

ATO & Office of Fair Trading might actually share information (funny that).

If you rent it prior to moving in then cgt will apply.

I don't recall reading the it must be at the first opportunity, my understanding was that it was for a period of 6 months during the first 12.

what if
1. I make it as investment after 6 month of living there? Can i claim deduction on interest of construction?
2. Otherwise the first 6 months I rent it out then after 6 months I live there as PPOR to satisfy FHOG requirement. Can I claim tax deduction on this? as 6 months construction + 6 months rent out

In fact how does ATO classified whether it is investment or PPOR?

I think it is clear that your intention is to make it a PPOR so the interest would not be deductible. Once you move out it maybe.

Brady: I think so too.
Terry: I assume once I move out i can not claim back the interest on construction loan? as it past 6 months (duration of i live in as PPOR)?

I don't recall reading the it must be at the first opportunity, my understanding was that it was for a period of 6 months during the first 12.

" At least one applicant will
occupy the home as their
principal place of residence
for a continuous period of 6
months, commencing within
12 months of settlement or
construction of the home. "

My interpretation is: commencing 'within 12 months of settlement' OR upon completion of construction. You would need to dig up the legislation for the definitive answer.

Back