Clarendon Vs Metricon

Ok guys, hope to get some feedbacks on these two builders.

I'm looking at comparing between the two, interms of Customer Service, quality of their homes, pricings, 50 years vs 25 years warranty (what are the catches?), Promotions (Metricon $93,000 inclusions for $6,880).

The houses i've seen so far i would go with Clarendon for their display homes, but Metricon is a little better interms of actual house designs (but their displayed inclusions is no where near Clarendon).

Any comments please give.

They are almost the same, both volume builders contracting out work, using the name metricon and clarendon as their marketing arms. I would go with a smaller custom builder, where you can actually speak to the owner of the business. Those promotions are just rubbish, i wouldnt build with a company that was giving away 80 grand worth of inclusions for 6k... they might go broke half way through the build!

Cobbles, I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning.
Wouldn't a smaller builder, like you have recommended, have more chance of going under?
Just because big builders have slick sales/marketing doesn't mean you don't get good value. Just that you have to weigh up what you are getting in your contract compared to the other, not just looking at the catch phrase of 'getting something for nothing'.

We are currently building with Porter Davis.

In my experience, they are much of a muchness. I have heard some noise around Metricon's build quality look around on google for it.

If I were to do it again, I would go to a smaller custom builder. A mate of mine is doing this, but he had trouble finding architects/builders/project managers that touch any project less than $800k.

Again, much of a muchness, go with what you fee comfortable.

I read one of the forum member's signature that says, if you can't decide, toss a coin. Not cuz it'll decide for you, but when the coin is briefly in the air, you know which one you hope for.

Very insightful I thought.

Hope this helps.

We built a double storey 42square house with Domaine Homes in Victoria (Domaine = Clarendon) in 2001 .... absolutely horrible experience. No customer service once contracts were signed, 4 month delay on expected start date, etc. It was all meant to complete by Dec2001 and they delivered in Jan 2003. Even post the house started developing structural issues (which they wouldn't accept responsbility for .... and took a lot of effort to get them fixed under warranty).
We have friends that have built with Metricon (albeit single storey's) and had zero issues during and post.
Personally I would never look at Clarendon again. Also if it helps the deciding factor back then was 50k worth of inclusions for 5k .... stoopidest mistake I ever made.

I know a few people that built with metricon years ago, and they recieved a pretty good job... but even then smaller custom builders will usually give you some nicer fixtures and fittings for about the same money.

I also know of a few people that have built with metricon in recent years, and they had heaps of trouble with them :eek:
I think all the trouble came from metricon being so busy that they are contracting anyone to do the work, and if you are unlucky you get a really dodgy one :(

I've built with a few volume builders and I would have to say that Clarendon were the absolute worst! Their display homes DO NOT represent their build AT ALL!!! I was disappointed to with the quality of workmanship. Administration and service were not existent. They forgot to lay insulation in the ceiling, forgot to install dimmers where specified in the contract. The list goes on with the major defects!!!

I've also built with Mega homes in Melbourne. Although the owner is an absolute tosser his build is pretty good. I haven't built with Metricon although done a lot of supply work with them and they were quality conscious which makes me believe that their quality of materials would be better than others.

What ever you do - DO NOT BUILD WITH CLARENDON!

Back