Coaching / mentor services

Does anyone here have any experience with / opinions on IP coaching and mentoring services (at a cost obviously).

I've just stumbled across a service that provides 1 to 1 mentoring and coaching for 6 months that helps with the first steps in property investing and includes things like - weekly meetings, books, seminars, personalised strategies to suit your circumstances etc etc...

Is this one of those dodgy things to stay clear of or something that may actually be worthwhile? :confused:

Find out and actually verify how many investment properties do they own? How long have they been investing for? If it's only one "bull" cycle.....walk away.

As you have just joined recently, the best piece of opinion (this not advice) I can offer is to scour this forum and read deeply. There are some fantastic threads that are many pages deep on the forums and sub-forum listings.

Save your money and spend it on books or attending courses that will help you add future value to the portfolio you acquire by developing or renovating.

Keep asking questions here and did I mention scour this forum and read, read, read. :)

Im happy to give you all the free coaching you want.

That will be $250.00 thank you.

Please call again!

Seriously though, there's nothing like the 'ol tried and tested method of finding your own way in life. making mistakes along the way holds you in good stead

Don't get conned by hotshots spruking their so called talents.

If they knew so much about r/e and making money from that they would be not in the mentoring game.

After all the best in the business can lose money just like you and I in a flash!

Start off small, dont be in a hurry to make money, learn as you go, watch the market closely and definitely watch agents closely cause they will try and flog anything, anytime, anywhere to make a buck!

I don't see any real value in what you are looking for to be honest.

You will probably source more info off this site if you search and ask and get more help than any mug who thinks he know all about r/e but charges for his service.

Tax issues; pros and cons is definitely something you should invest your time in however..can be a nightmare for the unwary.

Others may disagree.

Good luck.

Maybe down the track, you might want/need a mentor to help you overcome roadblocks.
To start off, though, what you need to get going is already within you. YOU are the only one who can take the first step.
All the advice and help you will ever need can be found right here on this forum.
Everyone has different objectives, circumstances, lifestyles and risk profiles. YOU are the only one who knows what these are and what your strengths are.
Know yourself. That's the key!
Then look at different strategies and options and find out which resonates with you and your objectives and risk profile.
Most importantly - HAVE FUN! If it's not fun then what's the point.

Thank you and thanks for the advice :)

Really wanted to see if anyone had explored this option and if it was worthwhile. Learning by doing is the best way but i wanted to save myself any grief i could potentially get myself into by not really having a great deal of knowledge in the beggining.

I'm seeing a few ppl next week about getting things started and will probably come back here for more insight and to pick some more brains...

p.s this forum is excellent & i could read this stuff all day!

Don't get conned by hotshots spruking their so called talents. If they knew so much about r/e and making money from that they would be not in the mentoring game.

Now where have I heard that before.....that's right, it was from a bunch of folks up the back of the crowd who were not wealthy.

Others may disagree.

Agreed.

Now where have I heard that before.....that's right, it was from a bunch of folks up the back of the crowd who were not wealthy.

Oh yes, ive been to these "seminars" make no mistake when i was younger...

At the end of the day you have to define several things:

What does wealthy really means in investing? Does it mean having 10 properties with the bank owning 80% of the value and you struggling to pay off the mortgage every month, struggle to come to grips with bad tennants who trash the place, struggle to pay the rates, cant afford regular maintenance??

These seminars forget about the tough times on struggle street...they only concentrate on the so called "good times" when any mug punter can make money in the market..........

Yep, sure i was down the back...but asking questions.....and shaking my head at some of the b/s answers I was given!

These so called experts on real estate only come out of the woodwork during boom times.......wont find many around of late.... why? because the smart investors are on the sidelines or already set in investments from years ago.

Good luck if you were sitting at the front and arrived to that meeting an hour earlier to grab the nibblies...

Yep, sure i was down the back...but asking questions.....and shaking my head at some of the b/s answers I was given!

These so called experts on real estate only come out of the woodwork during boom times.......wont find many around of late.... why? because the smart investors are on the sidelines or already set in investments from years ago.

You're quite wrong. There are plenty of them around right now. People are still flocking to the "free" seminars, too.
I've been watching this circus with great interest for about a year, now. Same faces at each event. Scribbling notes like they have found the holy grail. Not all ogf them sign up for the "program", but enough do to make it worthwhile for the promoters.
I could go on, but I think people are sick of hearing me go on about this particular topic. I just find it very frustrating to watch people follow this course of action yet do NOTHING in terms of actually making an investment.
Rant over. For now. But "I'll be back"!

Why don't you see if they will be happy to meet with you and have a chat about their program to start with and also see if they have any events, teleseminars, webinars, presentations, etc where you can go and suss it out first.

The other thing I would suggest is to see if they have testimonials and maybe even ask if they can give you some references or contact details of people that are either currently in the program or have completed it.

Wishing you every success,

Ana

start on your own and seek help along the way. trouble with me is. I'd get too easily led by anyone's hype as I don't know 'how it really works yet' to be able to evaluate what we're told.. however, "it depends" of :)

It's interesting;

I have at various times offered (for free) to help friends and relatives with IP investing, and general financial advice (most of them are totally upside down financially).

I am not a financial planner with a framed certificate on the wall, and not the richest bloke going around, but I have a bit of a clue, and richer than all these people I offered to help, so you'd think they'd be up for it? Umm...no.

I have even suggested to a few select ones that they get on here and start learning some stuff.

You know; how to hijack a thread, how to be totally off-topic and an annoyance to all (sorry; being introspective :D).

Seriously though;this place is one of the best places to be for free and well rounded info and opinions - and it's free (if you discount the internet connection cost).

I wonder what would happen if I (or any of us unqualified SS types with similar experiences) were to throw a shingle out the front and charge for the same info.

I'm tipping the same people I offered to help would start knocking on the door.

Go figure that one.

Marc, I'm in a similar position ie. not the richest bloke but having a bit of a clue.
Of all the people I work with who are in what Rixter calls the 40/40 Club (working 40 hours a week for 40 years so you can retire on super that keeps you in a lesser lifestyle than you had when you worked), only ONE has asked me to mentor them. The other are the "mirror people". Always "looking into it". Never doing.
Then there are the one's who have one or two IP's who are always telling me what I'm doing wrong and how I could do better. I'm already doing better. What's there point?
Like you said. Go figure.

Bayview

I have learnt that if I charge for something - I always get a better response than if it is free.

But not only that - more people show up if there is a $99 charge than if it is free. Go figure that one out.
If you want people to take you seriously - never give away your product.

Bayview

I have learnt that if I charge for something - I always get a better response than if it is free.

But not only that - more people show up if there is a $99 charge than if it is free. Go figure that one out.
If you want people to take you seriously - never give away your product.

I agree with this - many people don't "trust" or "value" advice given for free. They take the "you get what you pay for" too literally - i.e. information given for free could not be as good as the same informaiton given for $20, which could not be as good as same information given for $100.....

Many seminar presenters (who are being honest!) mention exactly your observations - the more you charge, the more people front up!

Cheers,

The Y-man

I would love to have a mentor 24/7 but unfortunately the ones I would love to get close to have better things to do with their valuable time than associate with folks like me.. :( Such is the nature of wealth's pecking order.

Very true asdf....and nothing changes as you move up.

The only thing I've found to grab a few minutes of their valuable time is simply to show them that you are serious and not some starry-eyed wannabe. That's hard to do whilst keeping your lot in life super confidential.

Back