coffs harbour

any opinions on coffs harbour ?, it looks pretty cheap to me.
i have just come back from a short holiday there, not a bad town, much bigger than i thought.

Hi active74
The biggest draw back that C/H has in my opinion is the roads in and out of the place. Both north and southbound roads are by no means super highways.(with the exclusion of some road works on the southern entrance.) I suppose it is only a matter of time before they rectify that. Port Macquarie however is a lot easier to get to from sydney these days than it use to be.
Some years ago a study of a high incidence of birth defects came out of C/H (something to do with bannana spraying) (was on the news so it must have been true)
Just food for thought.
Kind regards
Simon

In 2001 I bought a 2 bedroom villa for 89K and it's returning $165 per week. My PM said early last year it was a tight rental market, not sure if it still is.

Jenny

Coffs Harbour,

great place, the market has just played catch up, everything went up and sold, sold, sold. It is starting to slow down now, not go down, but slow down, properties are staying on the market a bit longer. It was a frenzy 6 months ago.

My PPOR increased by $75000 in the last 4yrs and the property i owned before that resold for $40000 more than i let it go for 4 yrs ago.

as for birth defects????? I have been here for over 30yrs, have heard nothing.
The roads in and out of Coffs?? Pacific HWY, same from Syd to Bris.
Can go from Coffs to the QLD border in 3 hours now.

Port Macquarie and Ballina have jumped ahead of Coffs in capital Growth and Coffs has room to grow, it is the bigger of the three cities, bigger airport and hospital and it will not be bypassed.

I know the area very well, so
if you would like any more info just email me...:)

Originally posted by voodoo

Yeah...

Voodoo just finds it a lot easier to type with three hands...

hehehe

asy :D

*Disclaimer, this was a JOKE and in no way intended to cast nasturtiums at Coffs.. Which is a place I adore! :)

Originally posted by voodoo
Coffs Harbour,

Yep Voodoo, I recently met someone from Coffs Harbour who hadn't seen anything for thirty years. His Siamese twin hadn't smelt anything for 30 years.

Seriously though, I had not heard of birth defect problems in the Coffs Harbour area. I've had some fun surfing to the north of Coffs harbour-Arrawara, back Mooney and back Emerald. I've also stayed briefly on a banana plantation owned by a large Italian family. The area is quite beautiful.

Ajax

Last edited:
The trip to Qld has been shortened by the super highway between Byron Bay and Tweed. I bet that area around "ocean shores " has shot up in value.
Easy accessability to major centres is my only issue with CH.
Here in the ACT since the freeway and new Southern tunnels have been completed we now have a comfortable 3 hr drive to Sydney which gives the sense of connection that Canberra has long needed for growth.
Simon

A friend of mine has an older brother has lived at Crossmaglenn (just outside Coffs and under the banana growing mountains surrounding Coffs) for the last 25 years, anyway he had a son with major developmental problems at birth, apparently caused by the banana growing chemicals.

Its been common knowledge for years that there has been a problem in Coffs and surrounding areas regarding the chemicals.

Nice place tho, if a littlle.....ummm.....family oriented (read fun park boring)

Coffs Harbour has no Grace Bros or David Jones. Just remember that! It may look large but it aint exactly the biggest city. I prefer Sawtell and Boambee myself (lovely little towns south) but Coffs just doesn't do much for me.
Having said that, however, it appears some investors have done very well there. It does have a higher unemployment rate compared to other towns, however, and so be wary of where you pick your property. Like anywhere, do some research and localspeak first before you buy.

That is true, Coffs does not have a Grace Bros or David Jones and sawtell and boambee are southern suburbs off Coffs Harbour.

here is some local speak before you buy..

Park beach is a great location in Coffs Hbr. but it was bad area with a lot of unemployed and drugs.
Recently the new hospital has opened up south of Coffs and it has a direct route for the buses from Toormina, or as you know it.......boambee. So the garbage has all moved south, as it is easier to get to the hospital for their fix, and park beach is slowly starting to move and become a nicer place..give it time.

Sawtell has already boomed, that is east of the rail tracks. west of the tracks was Toormina and bayldon until a few years back where crime become so bad in bayldon and the name of the place was not worth a pinch, so it was vanished and renamed EAST BOAMBEE.

I agree certain areas are very good, and other areas house every man and his dog to ever be released from Grafton maximum security Prison. So be very cautious and as JACQUE says localspeak before you buy.
:D

Back