Coin Counting at Banks? Question please

Someone I know has heaps of spare Aussie coins that they want to get exchanged for notes, and wanted to know where to take them. I said go to the Bank, but then he asked do you get charged?

Don't they have coin counting machines at the Banks? Would they charge you?

Cheers
QB

No, they don't charge you.

But at my bank at least, you have to go in and get all the little bags and divide them up yourself (Westpac).

At the ANZ branch in the city here they even have a coin counting machine out the front where you pour in the coins and it pumps out notes to replace them. You need to have some sort of card to use it though (which I assume you would get in the branch).

My CBA branch has an electronic counter which costs nothing if you're a CBA account holder. Can't remember the fee if you're not.

the cba branch close to my house has a machine,

I put the coins in, it counts them for you and spits aout any that aren;t aussie coins... It gives me a receipet with an amoutn on it, I took that theto the counter and got given the money in cash.

alternatively you could go to any woolies with the self service checkout, dump all the coins in and get change in notes

or dump all the coins in some vending machine that accepts both coins and notes, and then cancel transaction. it will give you back notes, i believe

Noticed your location is on the Gold Coast. The NAB Bank in Southport on Scarborough St (southern end of the street) has a coin machine. Just make sure you get there early in the morning before the machine fills up and won't accept any more. Dump your coins in one end and it spits out a receipt you take to the teller. You don't have to be an NAB customer and there is no charge.

I hope we don't go the way of the US. I visited a friend in Berkeley a couple of weeks before he was moving back to Oz and was in the middle of packing. He had three tins full of coins that he had accumulated because they are used less frequently over there. The bank wouldn't accept them as a deposit unless he sorted them all out himself into little bags, which he didn't have the patience to do. The supermarkets had machine to convert them, but there was a charge involved with it. I'm not sure what he ended up doing with them all—he was considering just dumping them at one stage :eek: such is his mentality to money.

Just make sure you get there early in the morning before the machine fills up and won't accept any more.

Yep, we have one at our local branch, no charge to use but they only accept between 9 and 11 in the morning.

The lunch time rush hour is a big no-no for this thing.

People want to get in and get out, not stand behind some crazed hoarder who has $ 2,583.45 saved up in a big milo tin.

Ours does. CBA branch. It's still that square metal "bank looking" thing from yonks ago. They just don't allow you to empty it and count it whilst they have a long queue at lunch time with people who have about 15 mins to duck in and do whatever they have to do before getting back to work. Makes sense to me.

Back