Colorbond roofs ???

Dear Friends,

I am building a home in Sydney.

I am observing that more and more people are now building the relatively flatter Colorbond roofs rather than the traditional brick/concrete roofs.

In the contemporary/modern design, I would say, they look pretty good, for sure.

BUT at presently, I wish to decide whether I shall use them in my home or NOT !!

What do you people think, What are the pros and cons, please shed some light on it and help me choose.

Someone told me that these roofs have noise issues, when it rains. Is it true ?

If it is true, Is it very bad ? Haven't the tradies come out with any innovation to nullify the noise issue?

Please comment on any other issues/thoughts, which you might have about this and help me decide.

Sanjeev

Dear Friends,

I am building a home in Sydney.

I am observing that more and more people are now building the relatively flatter Colorbond roofs rather than the traditional brick/concrete roofs.

In the contemporary/modern design, I would say, they look pretty good, for sure.

BUT at presently, I wish to decide whether I shall use them in my home or NOT !!

What do you people think, What are the pros and cons, please shed some light on it and help me choose.

Someone told me that these roofs have noise issues, when it rains. Is it true ?

If it is true, Is it very bad ? Haven't the tradies come out with any innovation to nullify the noise issue?

Please comment on any other issues/thoughts, which you might have about this and help me decide.

Sanjeev

Colourbond is fantastic. I have lived under tin roof all my life. The noise of the rain is the best noise in the world (I am farmer) except if you were in the floods lately. The noise can be nullified by putting in really thick insulation batts which is highly reccommended anyway.

We even put colourbond as cladding around an old farm cottage. Looks magnificent and will last forever.

Not sure on price compared with tile but my thoughts would be it should be cheaper by a fair bit. It is also easier to install solar on your roof if you wanted it.

Cheers and good luck

I agree. Being a Queenslander born and bred, I have lived under tin roofs all my life. We have built two homes and used Colourbond both times. Looks great, no problems with tiles lifting in storms and I love the sound of rain on the roof. Yes, can be a bit loud, but just learn to project your voice and turn up the TV! Actually, with some good roof insulation, this isn't much of a problem.

I love my colourbond roof. Rain noise is not an issue except the front verandah which does not have insulation, or when the rain is excessively heavy.

It does fade though so take that in to account when choosing the colour. Not as much as my neighbours tile roof though, not sure if it is tile or concrete but what was a lovely deep black now looks more like grey, yuk.

Put 50mm Anticon under the colorbond and with normal ceiling insulation it will act as a noise dampener.

Colorbond is superior to tiles in warm climates, I highly recommend them in Perth simply due to the rate they cool.

PS: Anticon normally costs less than $3k and is worth the investment.

The benifets of colorbond are huge,
Just look at all the damaged/holed tiled roofs when a large hailstorm arrives.
Any trade that walks on your tiles roof can crack a tile,you wont know until it rains:rolleyes:

Back