Common enemy unites foes

Haven't been able to find an internet news story yet ... but on the 24hr news channel, was announced that Liberals are willing to support Labor in tightening the legal loopholes to ensure offshore processing.

Uniting against the Greens, who are determined to process onshore - and with a less than 30 day turnaround to either granting visa or sending home (as if that's possible :rolleyes:).

Don't get me wrong - I think anything longer than a few months in detention is too long, and that the conditions could be improved immensely.

If anything I'd argue that the common enemy they're considering uniting against is the authority and the independance of the High Court.

To me, the Libs are trying to bust up the Labour and green alliance by offering the assistance that the greens wont give.

If labour accept the offer then they look like fools going back to the coalition plan

If they reject the offer and go with the greens for onshore processing then they look like fools for trying to do it off shore and getting it wrong.

Abbott is effectively saying "which way do you want to lose Julia?"

Julia looked REALLY awful in her press conference on the news tonight, really straight faced and haggard, looked very unhappy.

If Labor and Liberals get together, in both lower and upper house, they can pass whatever legislation they like.

Greens become irrelevant.

Being the Parliament, they can pass whatever legislation they like to get around the High Court. The High Court can only interpret the laws that are there.

If they say offshore processing cannot be done under the current law, then too easy - change the law so it can.

I see Gillard's acceptance of Abbott's offer is highly conditional. They'll make it so conditional that the Libs will have to withdraw their support.

If Labor and Liberals get together, in both lower and upper house, they can pass whatever legislation they like.

Greens become irrelevant.

Being the Parliament, they can pass whatever legislation they like to get around the High Court. The High Court can only interpret the laws that are there.

If they say offshore processing cannot be done under the current law, then too easy - change the law so it can.

I see Gillard's acceptance of Abbott's offer is highly conditional. They'll make it so conditional that the Libs will have to withdraw their support.

Long term politics in australia has been determined by the 'marginal centre right' or the 'marginal centre left', never an extreme left or right.

Abbott is playing an intelligent hand.

Well let's hope whoever wrote the last asylum seeker relevant statutes doesn't get the job again.

Maybe the unions should write it, rather than lawyers, who always write in riddles so they can later debate what they originally meant...nothing like a business model that guarantees future cash flows. :rolleyes:

Gillard should accept Abbott's offer. She committed to the solution, and if she's serious this is her opportunity to make it happen.

The alliance is already split on the issue. It would have been when the Malaysia deal was first announced. This is nothing new, just another way of getting it done.

Back