[computers] gif or jpg image compacting s/w?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a source of software that can compress bloated image sizes.

Images from the digital camera are around 800k or more. I would like a way of cutting them down to 20 or 100k, recognising that there will be a loss of pixels and resolution.

Is there anything freely available that does this?

I used to use an accessory that was part of scanner software but since upgrading to WinXP it no longer works.

Thanks, Peter

Irfanview is good. To get small file sizes without making the image really small though, you need to set the amount of compression when saving JPEG files.

GP

Hi Pete,

I use a freeware proggy call Easy Thumbnails.
http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/index.php?2.6

It is stable and mature, and is excellent for the purpose you are talking about, as it will resize and compress a folder full of files in one operation (batch).

Doesn't matter if you have taken pics in landscape or portrait mode.

The software is purpose built for creating thumbnails of pics for websites, but has all the options necessary to do what you are asking.

I haven't used irfanview for years but it is highly spoken of. Tried it years ago and didn't like some of its functionality. I use AcDSee as my default viewer.

I've always just used my old PhotoStudio 2000 ... does the job but is at times tedious ... no batch options.
How does IrfanView compare to PhotoStudio ?

Not sure how they compare, I've never used Photo Studio, but that fact that it has no batch option would put me off using it. Irfanview's batch converter allows you to re-size, re-name, etc, hundreds/thousands of photos all in one hit. Much easier than doing them one by one ;)

Regards,
Ozi

ozi said:
Not sure how they compare, I've never used Photo Studio, but that fact that it has no batch option would put me off using it. Irfanview's batch converter allows you to re-size, re-name, etc, hundreds/thousands of photos all in one hit. Much easier than doing them one by one ;)

Regards,
Ozi

Hi Ozi - learned something today, I didn't realise you could resize more than one pic at a time. I had a play but couldn't work out how to do it. Could you please tell me how to??

Thanks!!

Petal

Hi Petal,

Its quite simple.

File --> Batch Conversion/Rename

Then select all the files you wish to convert and press the "Add" button. Make sure you have the "Batch Conversion" radio button selected. Click on the "Set Advanced" button to configure your conversion, i.e. size, etc. Then click the Start button and enjoy :)

Regards,
Ozi

ozi said:
Hi Petal,

Its quite simple.

Then select all the files you wish to convert and press the "Add" button. Make sure you have the "Batch Conversion" radio button selected. Click on the "Set Advanced" button to configure your conversion, i.e. size, etc. Then click the Start button and enjoy :)

Regards,
Ozi

Hi I hope ozie is around or someone else who understands Irfanview Batch process more than me. I am finally getting around to doing the batch conversion and it is keeping the size the same. I must be doing something wrong.

I am going into "Set Advanced Option" and trying to make it 20% of original (as is suggested) or 50w and 50h as it suggested, however my photos are stubbornly have the same high kb's as they had to start with.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong???

Many thanks
Petal

Hi Petal,

What you are doing is correct, but the reason the file size is still large is because the output quality is most likely set to 100%. Click on the "Options" button next to the Output format and reduce the output quality to say 50-60%. You will need to play with this to get it right.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ozi

Ossie, if you still don't get the result you want, try the free and easy to use thumbnails program I mentioned above. It is simple and very effective.

Hi Petal,

Its quite simple.

Regards,
Ozi

Hi everyone,

I am bringing this thread back to life because I have just bought a new camera and on the lowest setting the photos are about 500kb which can be too big for emailing if I am sending a lot.

If I resize one photo at a time it is easy as I just ask Irfanview to halve it and it brings the dimensions from 1552 x 1164 to 776 x 582 perfect. But obviously I don't want to do them one at a time.

So I am playing with the Batch Conversion and you don't have the option here to "halve" the photos. So I selected about 10 photos and went into advanced options and changed the dimensions to 776 x 582 but I don't know whether to choose Pixels, cms or inches and anyway whichever I choose, when I select it and come back out and click "start" it doesn't covert but takes me to back to the front page of Irfanview.

Is OZI around?? Any idea what I am doing wrong??

Thanks guys
Petal

Why is it when you type out a problem you suddenly realise what you did wrong. 2 things.

1. I was forgetting to "add" the files DOH
2. I didn't realise that the new reduced photos were saved in a different place than where I took them from. I thought they just overwrote the old one but the create a new dated folder to put them all.

So all good!!:)

Back