Concerns re:Holden job losses in SA

Hi All,
Just looking at suburbs in Northern Suburbs of Adelaide for an in investment property. I heard on the radio that there are expected job losses at Holden. To all those Adelaide forumites what are your thoughts on the impact it may have on these areas? Thanks

Hi All,
Just looking at suburbs in Northern Suburbs of Adelaide for an in investment property. I heard on the radio that there are expected job losses at Holden. To all those Adelaide forumites what are your thoughts on the impact it may have on these areas? Thanks

This has been discussed already in the Elizabeth thread...

Someone care to link the thread

Every single one of the workers who I've spoken to from Holdens are aware of the expected job cuts.

Mosts of them are starting to line up work elsewhere...

But just about all of them are waiting to receive a nice big redundacy payout first.

Alot just get a $30-$100k payout, then start a new job few months later..

The flow on effect from those supplying to Holdens is the issue...

But even then I'm aware of a spare parts business that will grow from the decrease at Holdens.

Every single one of the workers who I've spoken to from Holdens are aware of the expected job cuts.

Mosts of them are starting to line up work elsewhere...

But just about all of them are waiting to receive a nice big redundacy payout first.

Alot just get a $30-$100k payout, then start a new job few months later..

The flow on effect from those supplying to Holdens is the issue...

But even then I'm aware of a spare parts business that will grow from the decrease at Holdens.

+1.

Not the apocalypse, it will involve a restructure in the current businesses around. Some will expand, others will shrink.

Be sure to note all the increased employers 5 minutes over in the Edinburgh industrial estate which dwarfs the losses in Holdens.

I'm assuming redundancy payout!

pinkboy

Correct. And I'm getting one of the smaller redundancies.

I've worked there for close to a decade and out of the 100's of people I've spoken to I can't recall a single one that lives in one of the 'Elizabeth' suburbs.

Here's a quick roll call:
Craigmore
Munno Para West
Salisbury (me)
Salisbury North
Paralowie
Parafield Gardens
Burton
Gawler
Angle Vale
Greenwith
Walkley Heights
Para Hills
Campbelltown
Newton
Tranmere

If anything I'd be buying in Elizabeth as the only plausible cause for concern is the people living in the areas above will not be able to afford to do so and require cheaper accom. Guess where the cheapest housing is?

One of the main reasons I bought into the area is that there will always be strong demand for the cheapest housing and this should put a floor under rents.

Thanks Aman for your response I know it was answered in part in the Elizabeth thread a little but its hit the headlines again with Kevin Rudd and the fringe benefits tax. I have been looking around Elizabeth and surrounds and it's not that bad. The infrastructure with regards to schools, roads, shopping centres, and new housing developments etc is really good and continues to develop you just need to go for a drive around the areas to see that it's not an ignored area that's slowly going into decay. Well that's my thoughts anyway. I'm off to the Barossa Valley post viewings tmrw which is only a small drive away from those terrible suburbs.:)

Back