Confusion over loan approvals

Hi guys,

I know this might be the old "how long is a piece of string", but how long does it generally take to have a loan fully approved from pre?

Ours seems to be taking a very long time and we only have one more week before the "subject to finance" clause runs out on our offer. We're going through a broker, and it's been just over two weeks now.

One of the other loans was fully approved in 3 days, but now THAT one is proving to take a long time to get in our hot little hands also, it was approved Thursday week ago, yet nothing to us yet and our deposit has to be paid today.:eek::eek:

I am just wondering if this is normal? I mean, I read on the comm bank website you can walk into the branch and have a loan fully approved in an hour... yet ours is taking forever. Getting a bit nervous about it all.:eek::(:(

Cheers

Lisa

Hi Lisa

an hour........................um.............no.

Even branchies need sometimes to have vals done and delegate the decision on some deals to a 3rd party.

Not knowing the circumstances its hard to comment, follow it up with the lender and/ broker and get a status report and make sure they know the finance date

Sometimes things can slip between the cracks and call to move them along wont hurt.

ta

rolf

Thanks Rolf

left message with broker last night. I am packing myself about this deposit. I just don't think it's good enough. But I am in a bit of a panic so everything is ticking me off about the whole process at the moment. lol

Thanks for the reply...

Cheers

Lisa

my longest was a refinance (no extra money, just consolidating to the one bank) ... took 6 months before i told them to forget it.

lost paperwork - more lost paperwork - unable to get answers back from indonesia (yes, it was cba).

Last edited:
Hey Lisa

I a little comfort should be .........

if your finance clause isnt up till next week , ur deposit should NOT be at risk

Please check with ur soli though, because I have noooo idea of the specifics of your deal

ta
rolf

Thanks Rolf. All OK as of today. Haven't enjoyed the ride though, I must say. haha. Once the sold sticker goes on the board out the front, I will be happy!!:D:D

A pre-approval isn't a big time saver in the entire approval process. You should still budget 1-2 weeks for a pre-approval to turn into a full approval.

Valuations can take up to a week (valuers are generally quick, but tenants or owners often aren't).
Lenders can take a few days to process the file (it sits in a queue for a few days, then they process it in less than an hour).
Mortgage insurers can take a 2-3 days to sign off on a file if it's required.

I had mine done in about a week or so. It really helps if you're in contact with the loan manager and make sure they're aware of a deadline.

Back