converting an area to a studio in an apartment block

I have a family member who is going through some financial hardship and is losing PPOR as a result. Trying to figure out somewhere to live rent free until she gets back on her feet.

She has an IP, a unit on the lower north shore of Sydney, which is rented out periodically as a short-term holiday rental. This unit is on the first floor in a complex of 4 units. Our unit is one story however below it there is a 'tavern' type room- like mini garage with 3 walls and a big opening which opens onto the back yard. it is currently used as a BBQ area, and is about 15sqms. This 'tavern' belongs to us, its not common ground and its on out title.

the question is, is it possible to legally convert this to a studio? we are trying to avoid going through the owners corp. as they are a nightmare. I'm thinking that because its already technically indoors, it will be considered an internal alteration and therefore we wont need to involve the owners corp.

I am aware of issues such as ceiling height, natural light etc, has anyone done anything similar in a unit complex?

I would really appreciate anyone's input

Back