Conveyancing Charges and tax

I thought I had read somewhere that if your solicitor provides a breakdown of his fees, that some of these may be claimable in the current year instead of offsetting it against a capital gain when we sell.

can anybody enlighten me further on this issue?

Regards

AndrewS

HI Andrew

No, I am afraid that this is not true unless you buy property in the ACT. Sorry.

Dale

Originally posted by AndrewS
I thought I had read somewhere that if your solicitor provides a breakdown of his fees, that some of these may be claimable in the current year instead of offsetting it against a capital gain when we sell.

can anybody enlighten me further on this issue?

Regards

AndrewS

G'day AndrewS,

Is it possible you were thinking of "some of the lender's Solicitor's fees". The way I've heard things is that anything to do with "purchasing the property" is a Capital Cost. But, anything to do with the funding is part of the Borrowing Cost (thus, deductible over the next few years....) - and that MIGHT include your lender's solicitor's costs !!!!

And I remember (and used) one of Jan's hints - where Searches required by the Lender could be a borrowing cost. In my case, I had purchased from my son (thus we required NO search in PURCHASING the property - but the mortgage lender required it - thus, a borrowing cost!!!)

I'm not an Acct - so check this out with the appropriate people,

Regards,

Back