Conveyancing or Mobile Banker?

Hi All,

Have finished IT contract recently and with the way the market is going it seems it will take a few weeks(or months :( ) to find another one. I am not under any sort of financial stress as such as i have been able to setup myself for something like this and take up to 2 years of unemployment....

However, i have been thinking of utilizing my time that i have currently at my disposal and setup some sort of part time work. It needs to be part-time as i am confident of my IT contract prospects long term and it pays me well as well. When i do have an IT contract i can still take phone calls and give up to 3 hrs /day every weekday and more on weekends.

Now i have held discussions with few friends with whom i developed a good relationship and through them i have been advised to take up:
1: Conveyancing - I do have access to good quality, experienced and relatively cheap secretarial work force to do bulk of back office paperwork.

2: Mobile Banker with a major bank - This opportunity i have been offered by a Mobile Banker itself with one of the major banks. She knows my IT work requirements and has been dealing with me for past 5 years. According to her i will be a good fit for this kind of work although i am bit skeptical about it due to time requirements and extensive business/network development requirements. On the plus side the attraction of getting attached a major bank and the money is good too.

I will like to know the views of the forumites about the above two prospects... All opinions appreciated. :)

Thanks- DJ

Hi traveller,

I would be inclined to go with the mobile banker, more reliable source of income and I expect that you would be covered by their insurance.

Easy money with flexibilty, hard to find !!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess its not the case of $/hour with either of them as the money depends on the amount of work i can generate by building my business. Some clients can be easy and some might take months(or even years, in case of mobile banking) to get business from...

None of these businesses are as such part time but my main IT work is flexible in the sense i need to give it 8 flexible hrs a day. However in between i can take, make calls, do appointments and do other work as required.

mobile banker sounds interesting I would go for this one simply to learn the in's and out's of that particalur banking system and use what I learned to my advantage.

Mobile banker is what they call the banks loan writer and i will need to visit the client's premises and will not work from a particular bank branch.

One of my main objectives is to gradually phase out of my IT contracting and reach a position where i will turn this into a full time work mainly working from home(next 5-10 years). As both of these roles require an extensive network, i guess it will take me at least this much time to turn it into something of a full time work and pay.

Thanks for all the replies. Daman.

Id go the banker role in that case.

Far more capacity to leverage off in the future if you can engage your client and provide a high level of service

ta
rolf

Back