Correct Position of Swivel Basin Mixer

Hi

We just had some reno in our bathroom.
The plumber just finished installing the vanity unit, taps, etc including the swivel basin mixer.

I thought with a swivel basin mixer the handle should be on the right? But the plumber installed it in the center position (as shown in the photos), is it me or the plumber that got it wrong? :confused:

Your opinion please...

We bought the basin mixer from a local store and the picture clearly shows that the handle is on the right, see here http://images.mywork.com.au/uploads_photo_gallery/bathroom/egb2.gif

Attachments

• 1509662_10151921308008354_575284356_n.jpg
    1509662_10151921308008354_575284356_n.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 1538721_10151921353858354_1726965566_n.jpg
    1538721_10151921353858354_1726965566_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 230
  • 1010638_10151921360568354_1561938086_n.jpg
    1010638_10151921360568354_1561938086_n.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 218
Hi

The plumber just finished installing the vanity unit, taps, etc including the swivel basin mixer.

I thought with a swivel basin mixer the handle should be on the right? But the plumber installed it in the center position (as shown in the photos), is it me or the plumber that got it wrong? :confused:

Your opinion please...

We bought the basin mixer from a local store and the picture clearly shows that the handle is on the right, see here http://images.mywork.com.au/uploads_photo_gallery/bathroom/egb2.gif

Looks funny the way it is installed. I'd be getting him back to install it the right way. Have you paid him?

Right, right and right :D

The way he has installed it, you cannot turn it on without getting your hand wet. That is wrong, right? :)

Hi

Your opinion please...

We bought the basin mixer from a local store and the picture clearly shows that the handle is on the right, see here

if you showed the plumber the picture then the tap is installed wrongly ,if you told the plumber the tap was to go on the right hand side ,then the tap is installed wrongly ,if you didn't leave any instructions of where you wanted the tap to be then the tap is installed correctly .

Should be a really simple fix, just loosen the fitting, twist 90 degrees then tighten again.

It is open to interpretation.
The photo linked could very well have the handle installed on the front and the spout could have simply been pushed off to the left hand side so you can see detail of the handle.
There is no basin in the pic to reference which way the handle is, so the photo linked is not conclusive.

I've never seen a tap like that installed with the handle to the front. I don't believe there is any room for interpretation. I think the plumber just got it wrong.

Has anyone here got a tap with the handle directly under the flow of water?

This style if tap is not rare and I'd challenge anyone to see one installed or displayed like this? And I've looked at literally hundreds of taps recently in showrooms and on the net when I was searching for taps recently for our bathroom.

I agree it is an easy fix though.

Last edited:
Hi

Your opinion please...

We bought the basin mixer from a local store and the picture clearly shows that the handle is on the right, see here

if you showed the plumber the picture then the tap is installed wrongly ,if you told the plumber the tap was to go on the right hand side ,then the tap is installed wrongly ,if you didn't leave any instructions of where you wanted the tap to be then the tap is installed correctly .
I've never seen a mixer installed like this, it's common sense.....

I'd be a bit worried about the other work he's done tbh. Has he done domestic plumbing before? He's not a air con plumber or something out of work is he?

Its getting very trendy to install mixers like this so technically it is not wrong, but not "normal"
Loosen up the shoe underneath, twist and tighten.

Looks like we have to get another 'not so fancy' basin mixer after all.
You can turn the handle to its max for cold water, it hits the wall.
Should have listened to my wife (buy less fancy mixer) when we bought this one the other day.

Maybe that's why the plumber installed the mixer with the handle facing to the front, hmmm. I'm getting a real *smack down* from the wife :eek:

Attachments

• wall_above_vanity.jpg
    wall_above_vanity.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 81
Looks like we have to get another 'not so fancy' basin mixer after all.
You can turn the handle to its max for cold water, it hits the wall.
Should have listened to my wife (buy less fancy mixer) when we bought this one the other day.

Maybe that's why the plumber installed the mixer with the handle facing to the front, hmmm. I'm getting a real *smack down* from the wife :eek:

That's bad for you. Sell it on gumtree. I am just finishing up a reno of my rental property and sourced heaps from gumtree. Three items I bought were brand new but not suitable: a vanity cabinet ($140 new, sold for $30) and rangehood flue extension ($150 new, sold for $35) and a blanco kitchen sink ($180 new, sold for $50). I'm not sure why these sellers didn't return the items but I was happy to save the cash.

In your case, the tap has been installed so you probably won't be able to return it and you will take a hit selling it. It's one of those things you kick yourself for but take it as a lesson learned.

That's bad for you. Sell it on gumtree. I am just finishing up a reno of my rental property and sourced heaps from gumtree. Three items I bought were brand new but not suitable: a vanity cabinet ($140 new, sold for $30) and rangehood flue extension ($150 new, sold for $35) and a blanco kitchen sink ($180 new, sold for $50). I'm not sure why these sellers didn't return the items but I was happy to save the cash.

In your case, the tap has been installed so you probably won't be able to return it and you will take a hit selling it. It's one of those things you kick yourself for but take it as a lesson learned.

Good advice there.
We'll probably pull this mixer out and replace the one in the kitchen and then get a new 'less fancy' mixer for the bathroom. As long as I can keep the wife happy you know it feels :D

Back